Yeti GOBOX Collection

North East Montana Black Bear hunt

Buckdablackhunter

I recently went on a black bear hunt in North west Montana. Not having any clue what i was doing, my friend and I decided to wake up early, and do what we would normally do for deer or elk. upon getting to the trail head my friend thought it was a good idea to get on a horse that never had anyone else on him. Im sure you can guess what happen next. Ounce i got onto the horse, he reared up, and literally fell on top of me. In the air i could remember thinking this is how folks in Rodeos go to the hospital. Bam he lands on top of me. He role off, i get up and say "lets go, lets just hike up in there." There was also some curse words in there but im sure you get the picture. 4.3 Miles from the road up into a clear cut we see Plenty of elk, deer, and even some moose. No bears! As we are glassing My buddy Josh decides to call his friend who is a local guide to get some helpful tips about bears. We kinda did it all wrong. "No need to wake up at 3 am to get to the trail head by 4. Bears are lazy teenagers!" BOOM. We go home, I jump in a ice bath, and we go out later for a evening hunt. Driving down a road i see my first bear. Young critter, to cute to shoot. The next day we find a mom and cubs. The last day i saw a lone bore. I laid down, take a shot. and i miss. Bear runs off. I shoot under him on my last day. Now im going crazy over bears. I want a Bear so bad i plan on going back in the fall Right before i go to Wyoming. I love Montana Bear hunting, and i want to learn as much as i can about these animals.

Last edited:
Guessing you meant northwest? I did almost run over a little bear north of Grass Range last year, but that’s as close to NE MT as I’ve ever seen a bear.

This put me in a whirlwind. Im all over ballistic charts, checking out my ammo, ordering a custom turret. i went a little crazy. I was even thinking about get a break on my rifle but i think ima hold off. I want to go back and check out south west Montana

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back