Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

North America is being shut out of Public Land

operatorjohn1

On a British Columbia Island in the Pacific
I have listened to many learned individuals on this issue,
It is happening North of the 49th as well as south,
Here's a little blurb from my area:
Here on Vancouver Island thousands of acres were turned over to a private entrepreneur who only partially fulfilled his obligation, but kept the land.

https://www.explore-mag.com/Special_...d_is_it_Anyway

The BC Government did give away the land!!

"How we arrived at this cowboy country situation is the result of a historical twist of fate, a century-old land giveaway of epic proportions. Between 1883 and 1925, as part of a complex deal to cement British Columbia’s nascent union with Canada, the provincial government began giving coal baron Robert Dunsmuir a series of land grants that, in the end, totaled a staggering 8,000 sq-km of Vancouver Island turf; which, if you share perspective with the Coast Salish First Nations, had been stolen and wasn’t the government’s to give away in the first place. In exchange for this windfall of timber and mineral wealth, the ambitious Scotsman was expected to build coalmines and complete the Esquimalt-and-Nanaimo railway all the way from Victoria to Campbell River, laying down the foundations of a prosperous society on the distant Pacific shores of this still-young confederation.
He delivered on the former, amassing a staggering personal fortune along the way, not to mention leaving behind a legacy of labour abuses and dead miners in his dangerous sub-surface coal operations. However, he failed on the latter — the railway line ran out of steam 50 km short of Campbell River. Easy come, easy go. Since Dunsmuir’s heyday, the sprawling tracts of the so-called E&N Land Grant have been bought, sold and resold many times over, the majority of which are now owned by logging giants like TimberWest, Island Timberlands and Western Forest Products."

They clear cut the timber, then spray a herbicide to kill all the vegetation so the seedlings have an opportunity to grow. This vegetation they kill is a food source for the wildlife. Then they gate the areas off to the public,

The Province of Alberta is in the works of removing thousands of acres of wildlife habitat and selling it for agriculture land. It nothing more than a cash grab.

So many of us recreational users north of the 49th are feeling what others are feeling.

Yeah, welcome to the forum. How about an intro before you start with the political crap?

Have some great memories of spending my summers fishing with my family at Telegraph Cove/Alert Bay. Beautiful country you have on the island. Sad what that fishery has become. Fish farms and logging practices in the area have been the death of an amazing salmon fishery. Welcome to the forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back