Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Non-Resident first timer question

jbseamus83

My family and I moved to UT in late April of this year from TX. Western hunting is new, as I have spent my entire life hunting in TX. Since we moved here so late, I could not get tags in UT as a resident. I put in for the non-resident anterless draw for antelope, deer, and elk. I also put in for WY anterless deer and antelope. I did not get drawn for any of them.

So, I went back to the drawing board to try and figure out how I could hunt this year. I figured out that I could purchase a leftover tag in WY for anterless elk and deer, so I did. However, the more I research about hunting in WY, the more I realize that I may have made a mistake.

I know that this has probably been covered many times in these forums, but please understand that I am a newbie to this type of hunting and still trying to figure out all the differences between the regs in all the states. Am I correct in my understanding that I will not be able to hunt any BLM, State, or National forest lands on my own in WY?

If so, how do nonresidents hunt WY? What areas are actually available that are not private land? I know that I have watched shows of guys hunting that are not residents that did not seem to have an outfitter with them. Am I wrong in my interpretation? I am not going to pay for an outfitter for 2 anterless tags. What options do I have?

I fully understand that I should have looked into this, and it ultimately falls on me to know the regs before purchasing tags, but I just wanted to hunt, and don't know how to make that happen this year.

ok. So, it looks like I misread it. I just couldn't imagine all of that land being closed off to nonresidents. Thank you! This is very helpful!

I would suggest watching all of Randy's videos on how to draw tags. They are state specific and very detailed.

In Wyoming nonresidents must be with a guide or Wyoming approved resident in designated wilderness areas only. The elk unit map has all the designated wilderness. Here is the link:

If you are hunting on your own in a unit with wilderness and/or a lot of private lands I recommend you get onX maps on your phone. Makes life way easier.

I would suggest watching all of Randy's videos on how to draw tags. They are state specific and very detailed.
Thanks. I have watched the majority of them, and did my research as well as I could. I only put in for tags in areas that had a decent chance of getting drawn. I don't know if there were just a lot more hunters putting in this year with the pandemic or what, but areas that had almost 1:1 draw odds last year didn't pan out this year.

Do any of those tags you bought have a private land or area restriction on them you may need to be aware of?

Do any of those tags you bought have a private land or area restriction on them you may need to be aware of?
No, they don't. I did make sure of that before I bought them. I was just misinterpreting the regs stating "wilderness area."

Wyoming also has quite a bit of private land enrolled in their Walk-in Access program. They are easy to identify with OnX.

We all tend to lump land into “public” or “private” which can be confusing to people not used to the array of land ownership types and regs. “Public” can be BLM land, Forest Service, state trust lands, etc. Then there’s the “designations” such as National Forest, National Parks, Wilderness, Wildlife Management Areas, etc. Each can come with it’s own set of regulations regarding hunting. It’s easy to get confused! Keep at it and ask questions here - the more specific the better. I’m 3 years into western hunting, and the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don’t know :)

In Wyoming nonresidents must be with a guide or Wyoming approved resident in designated wilderness areas only. The elk unit map has all the designated wilderness. Here is the link:

If you are hunting on your own in a unit with wilderness and/or a lot of private lands I recommend you get onX maps on your phone. Makes life way easier.

Hey just to confirm. Only the Green Shaded areas are off limits to nonguided NRs.
Some parts (pure Green areas) of National Forests are still OK to hunt for NRs?

Thanks

Hey just to confirm. Only the Green Shaded areas are off limits to nonguided NRs.
Some parts (pure Green areas) of National Forests are still OK to hunt for NRs?

Thanks
All National Forest other than designated Wilderness (not wilderness study areas) is fine for unguided nonresidents to hunt.

All National Forest other than designated Wilderness (not wilderness study areas) is fine for unguided nonresidents to hunt.

Thanks.
While i know im fortunate to have plenty of CO opportunities as a resident. Since i just started hunting last year i am trying to make up for all my younger years i missed. And am looking at WY as my next NR quality hunt state. And was a bit concerned if there is enough good ground to hunt for NRs.
Also looking at MT and ID as options that I’d like to hunt in 3 to 5years. So gonna buy points for WY and maybe MT.

You could look at the Montana NR big game preference points. If you have a couple of points you should draw deer or elk (or a combo of the two) Big game licence.

Last edited:
Thanks.
While i know im fortunate to have plenty of CO opportunities as a resident. Since i just started hunting last year i am trying to make up for all my younger years i missed. And am looking at WY as my next NR quality hunt state. And was a bit concerned if there is enough good ground to hunt for NRs.
Also looking at MT and ID as options that I’d like to hunt in 3 to 5years. So gonna buy points for WY and maybe MT.
Nope, no good ground for NR, you better stay in Colorado.
But on another note, yes we have great hunting . No wilderness needed for a good hunt.

Do what I do when I want to consider a new area for hunting. I go camping and fishing and then hike the areas I want to hunt and do a lot of wildlife watching. Pay as much to habitat and old rubs and signs as you see wildlife because with most their summer range and winter range are different locations. After you do your homework then ask questions. And be prepared for the lurkers and hazing. I found some really good areas for this year and plan to have pictures when the hunts really go down.

Just wanted to follow up on this thread and thank those of you who gave me some info and got me in touch with others. I was fortunate and shot a nice fat cow. I did a write up on it in a different thread. Just wanted to come back and say thanks to everyone who is willing to share knowledge and wisdom here. Now I'm beginning to plan for 2021 and what I can look at doing as a resident here in UT that I couldn't do as a non-resident in 2020. WY Elk 2020.JPG

Back