Non-resident deer tags

wannabemountainman

I got an email yesterday that South Dakota is limiting non-resident archery deer tags to 2,200. An article online said there was 36,000 tags sold last year, of which about 20% were non-residents. So roughly SD sees 7,200 non-resident archery deer hunters. This decision cuts down the tags by 70%. This is pretty big, and I was just curious what others thought about it. I hunt SD every year as a non-res archer, so obviously I’m a little disappointed because it looks like I won’t be doing that anymore. I hunt the Black Hills and never see anyone else so the pressure must be getting bad elsewhere in the state? Just curious what others have to say.

A little more information is in order. Your number of 7200 non resident archers include both the private and public land archers. According to proposal that was passed, the GFP was aiming for a 25% reduction in the numbers of Non resident archery hunters on public lands. So, approximately 2935 NR archers on public land will now be limited to 2200. A 25% reduction on public land only. A net loss of 735 out of 7200 is just a little over 10%, not 70 %. I do not think you have to apply by April 1st and you can now hunt when the residents start but dont take my word for it. Go to the website and check it out for yourselves. Enjoy your hunt.

I got an email yesterday that South Dakota is limiting non-resident archery deer tags to 2,200. An article online said there was 36,000 tags sold last year, of which about 20% were non-residents. So roughly SD sees 7,200 non-resident archery deer hunters. This decision cuts down the tags by 70%. This is pretty big, and I was just curious what others thought about it. I hunt SD every year as a non-res archer, so obviously I’m a little disappointed because it looks like I won’t be doing that anymore. I hunt the Black Hills and never see anyone else so the pressure must be getting bad elsewhere in the state? Just curious what others have to say.
archery pressure in custer nat forest is horrid

archery pressure in custer nat forest is horrid
First hunted there in 05/06, seen one other guy and 10 to 15 bucks everyday. Was bowhunting in north dakota just across the boarder in 2019 and decided to take a drive down there to check out my old stomping grounds and couldn't believe how many people were there bowhunting that area. I stick to the wide open country these days.

First hunted there in 05/06, seen one other guy and 10 to 15 bucks everyday. Was bowhunting in north dakota just across the boarder in 2019 and decided to take a drive down there to check out my old stomping grounds and couldn't believe how many people were there bowhunting that area. I stick to the wide open country these days.
Yup. Word got out and ruined it. The access permit that is now required has helped a little bit, but it's still crowded. That's what happens when tags are cheap, OTC, and your the first state with mulies and pronghorn for folks heading west from MN and WI.
Hopefully tag reductions, access permits, and an increase in tag costs can bring back less crowding for residents.
Like Mallardsx2 said, you're seeing states take a me first approach. I can't blame GFP. MT and WY others charge nonresidents out the nose, SD wants in.

Yup. Word got out and ruined it. The access permit that is now required has helped a little bit, but it's still crowded. That's what happens when tags are cheap, OTC, and your the first state with mulies and pronghorn for folks heading west from MN and WI.
Hopefully tag reductions, access permits, and an increase in tag costs can bring back less crowding for residents.
Like Mallardsx2 said, you're seeing states take a me first approach. I can't blame GFP. MT and WY others charge nonresidents out the nose, SD wants in.
looking at license plates the last 10 years your overcrowding problem is hands down sioux falls, but lets blame the NR'S

If you lived in Minnehaha County and couldn't find a place to hunt, you would go west as well. At least they are from here. Cannot blame them a bit. A lot of them hit Gregory county as well I believe.

Back