Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Non-Bonded Bullets options

The only tipped bullet's I use are 75 gr V-Max in my 243. at 200 yds they hit the target attached to 2" thick foam and explode like a bomb, jacket material every where behind the target frame. Had a friend's 7nn Rm Mag to reload for. He wanted 162 gr A-Max bullet's in it. Had trouble loading them out. They were really deep in the case to keep the bullet off the lands. And to make matter's worse, they didn't shoot worth a dink. I got him switched over to 162 gr Inter Locks and they shot well, lot better than he did!. From all I've read about the easrly TSX, it was hard on copper fouling. Seem's that that is why they went to the TTSX. Read a number of report's by JJ Hack, African outfitter that actually live's in Washington state. He claimed he saw several times when the un-tipped bullet's failed to expand and it bothered him. Then Winchester came out with their factory ammo with tipped bullet's and said in their advertising that one purpose of the tip was to insure expansion. Something about HP bullet's. I shot some into bundled newspaper years ago, don't recall the bullet now but most likely a Sierra. I though it would go to pieces, I was wrong. Three different bullet's and the tip closed and the bullet bent on every one. I only shoot hp bullet's now for target bullet's, love them. If I were to find some need for a monolithic bullet, it would have to have the tip simply ti ensure the tip would open. When Nosler first came out with the Ballistic Tip bullet there were a whole lot of report's on the bullet's blowing up on the side of animals. There were,of course stories of success also. Seem's if the bullet got inside it mushed everything and seldom exited. I shot a deer years ago with the 75gr V-Max out of my 243. Bullet went in just behind the shoulder and didn't exit. Made a mess inside and the deer went right down. I guess if you could stand the mess and were to carefully pick your shot's it would work well. I see tip's as nice for varmint/predator bullet's and pretty much unnecessary on other than monolithic bullet's. On everything else I view them as a gimic to sell bullet's. Big claim is made for how they don't deform in the chamber and increase in BC. Increase in BC, big deal. Standard lead tipped cup and core bullet's have been killing things quite dead for a long time with less BC. I don't know how old you are, you might not have seen this. When Speer first brought out the mag tip bullet, in their advertisement's they showed a high speed photo of a lead tip bullet leaving a barrel. Amazing, the tip melted off! Seem's to indicate we've been killing's animals at very long ranges for a very long time with pretty much tip less bullet's. I have here a very old box of 25 cal 120 gr core locks. The tip is about exactly like the Speer mag tip. Core lock's have made quite a reputation for themselves over the years, without much of a lead tip. But as rifle's improved and ammunition improved, there had to be something done with bullet' real of imagined. Today's hunter's seem to think they need to be ready for shot's to 500 yds. Of course with improvement's in rifles they think it's a good thing but they had to have an improvement in bullet's, real or imagined. That's what sales is about! I am absolutely certain I could relpace my Hornady interlocks with several different brands of bullet's of the same weight and get the same results, But no reason to change as Hornady spire point/iintelock have never let me down one time in over 50 yrs of hunting! Plastic tips on cup and core bullet's or even bonded bullets, I don't think they do much and perhaps tear the bullet up quicker. If you believe your getting something extra with them and your happy with them, go for it. I am not a big fan of bonded bullet's either, seem's they all have that plastic tip. Another test I did years ago was Hornady interlock's and Speer hot core bullets into the newspaper at 100yds. I have suggested that the Speer hot core is actually the original bonded, I have been told I'm looey. But in the test I did with a 7mm Rem mag, the Hornady bullet's maintained 84% of their weight but the core was loose in the jacket. Did not separate. The hot core on the other hand also maintained 84% of their weight and the core did not come loose in the jacket! I went with the Hornady for no other reason than I got just a bit better accuracy with them. It seem's to me now that the main difference between a Speer hot core and any other bonded bullet is not much more than price. The Nosler bonded bullet is designed to maitai 70% of it's weight, that is from Nosler. There was an ad some time back by Hornady that their bonded core bullet's were maintaining up to 90% of their weight. But for me I found great weight retention with the Speer hot core and a lot less money. I found it strange when I asked about the Nosler bonded bullet, 70% retention is the same as the partition. If that's so and that is what Nosler told me, what is the advantage to one over the other? Sales and marketing, that's about it and neither retain's what I found the old Hornady spire point and Speer hot core did. Shooter's today get lost in all these bullet's claims yet the difference's are marginal other than the monolithic bullet. I have little use for a monolithic bullet, I don't live in California and without more to offer than they do, I'm not spending the extra money they cost. How in the world were 1000 yd shot' ever made prior to our modern super bullet's? How in the world were elephant's killed in the early 1900's late 1800's without these super bullet's of today?

Last edited:
It probably healthier to eat a plastic tip than lead. 😂
It is not unhealthy to eat the lead, either. It has never caused one issue in the decades of using lead bullets. All hype for nothing. Hell, plastic is made out of petroleum. That can't be healthy, either, if you want to split hairs. None of them are unhealthy unless you eat thirty pounds of them.

The only tipped bullet's I use are 75 gr V-Max in my 243. at 200 yds they hit the target attached to 2" thick foam and explode like a bomb, jacket material every where behind the target frame. Had a friend's 7nn Rm Mag to reload for. He wanted 162 gr A-Max bullet's in it. Had trouble loading them out. They were really deep in the case to keep the bullet off the lands. And to make matter's worse, they didn't shoot worth a dink. I got him switched over to 162 gr Inter Locks and they shot well, lot better than he did!. From all I've read about the easrly TSX, it was hard on copper fouling. Seem's that that is why they went to the TTSX. Read a number of report's by JJ Hack, African outfitter that actually live's in Washington state. He claimed he saw several times when the un-tipped bullet's failed to expand and it bothered him. Then Winchester came out with their factory ammo with tipped bullet's and said in their advertising that one purpose of the tip was to insure expansion. Something about HP bullet's. I shot some into bundled newspaper years ago, don't recall the bullet now but most likely a Sierra. I though it would go to pieces, I was wrong. Three different bullet's and the tip closed and the bullet bent on every one. I only shoot hp bullet's now for target bullet's, love them. If I were to find some need for a monolithic bullet, it would have to have the tip simply ti ensure the tip would open. When Nosler first came out with the Ballistic Tip bullet there were a whole lot of report's on the bullet's blowing up on the side of animals. There were,of course stories of success also. Seem's if the bullet got inside it mushed everything and seldom exited. I shot a deer years ago with the 75gr V-Max out of my 243. Bullet went in just behind the shoulder and didn't exit. Made a mess inside and the deer went right down. I guess if you could stand the mess and were to carefully pick your shot's it would work well. I see tip's as nice for varmint/predator bullet's and pretty much unnecessary on other than monolithic bullet's. On everything else I view them as a gimic to sell bullet's. Big claim is made for how they don't deform in the chamber and increase in BC. Increase in BC, big deal. Standard lead tipped cup and core bullet's have been killing things quite dead for a long time with less BC. I don't know how old you are, you might not have seen this. When Speer first brought out the mag tip bullet, in their advertisement's they showed a high speed photo of a lead tip bullet leaving a barrel. Amazing, the tip melted off! Seem's to indicate we've been killing's animals at very long ranges for a very long time with pretty much tip less bullet's. I have here a very old box of 25 cal 120 gr core locks. The tip is about exactly like the Speer mag tip. Core lock's have made quite a reputation for themselves over the years, without much of a lead tip. But as rifle's improved and ammunition improved, there had to be something done with bullet' real of imagined. Today's hunter's seem to think they need to be ready for shot's to 500 yds. Of course with improvement's in rifles they think it's a good thing but they had to have an improvement in bullet's, real or imagined. That's what sales is about! I am absolutely certain I could relpace my Hornady interlocks with several different brands of bullet's of the same weight and get the same results, But no reason to change as Hornady spire point/iintelock have never let me down one time in over 50 yrs of hunting! Plastic tips on cup and core bullet's or even bonded bullets, I don't think they do much and perhaps tear the bullet up quicker. If you believe your getting something extra with them and your happy with them, go for it. I am not a big fan of bonded bullet's either, seem's they all have that plastic tip. Another test I did years ago was Hornady interlock's and Speer hot core bullets into the newspaper at 100yds. I have suggested that the Speer hot core is actually the original bonded, I have been told I'm looey. But in the test I did with a 7mm Rem mag, the Hornady bullet's maintained 84% of their weight but the core was loose in the jacket. Did not separate. The hot core on the other hand also maintained 84% of their weight and the core did not come loose in the jacket! I went with the Hornady for no other reason than I got just a bit better accuracy with them. It seem's to me now that the main difference between a Speer hot core and any other bonded bullet is not much more than price. The Nosler bonded bullet is designed to maitai 70% of it's weight, that is from Nosler. There was an ad some time back by Hornady that their bonded core bullet's were maintaining up to 90% of their weight. But for me I found great weight retention with the Speer hot core and a lot less money. I found it strange when I asked about the Nosler bonded bullet, 70% retention is the same as the partition. If that's so and that is what Nosler told me, what is the advantage to one over the other? Sales and marketing, that's about it and neither retain's what I found the old Hornady spire point and Speer hot core did. Shooter's today get lost in all these bullet's claims yet the difference's are marginal other than the monolithic bullet. I have little use for a monolithic bullet, I don't live in California and without more to offer than they do, I'm not spending the extra money they cost. How in the world were 1000 yd shot' ever made prior to our modern super bullet's? How in the world were elephant's killed in the early 1900's late 1800's without these super bullet's of today?

I do not disagree with you Don. People get all wrapped up in new bullets, but for normal (inside 500 yards) ranges, there is very little difference. The plastic tips add a bit to the bc, which is love child of people that think that they have to shoot stuff at ridiculous distances. For that they are better. I like tipped bullets just fine and shoot the 147 ELDM bullets in my Creed. They are phenomenally accurate and hammer deer. I don't feel like I NEED them, though. I just happen to like them. I have always been perfectly happy with the Interlocks in whatever caliber.

The place where the bonded and mono-metal bullets shine is in extremely high velocity magnums. Standard bullets often times are a bit weak at some of the smoking velocities of the super-mags. The other thing that I like about the Interlocks, is that they are not expensive and often, you can buy them on forums etc, for a song. They have always shot nearly as good in my rifles as many of the target-type bullets and I can't look back over the many years of using them and say for certain that I ever had one that I considered a failure. Most that I have recovered, had 65 percent plus weight retention, which is right where they are suppose to be.

I will not argue with anybody, about the virtues of plastic-tipped bullets, as it is a personal preference. One thing that I can say, though, is that I have NEVER had a lead tip come out of the bullet. I have had a number of tips come off Accubombs that I shot in my 7 mag. I don't like small pieces floating around inside my action.

Thank you all for the replies. Here is a pic of the factory ammo (Non-Bonded) I like to use for general purposes hunting.

Attachments

• WIN_20190909_181219.JPG
    WIN_20190909_181219.JPG
    974.5 KB · Views: 18
I've killed a pile of critters with cup/core bullets, including elk, deer, antelope, bears and have no reservations about using them, tipped or not.

I have had great success with Sierra bullets, and have shot a few Hornady interlock, V-max and a few Winchester PP, and Hot Cores.

Tipped or not, mono, bonded or cup/core, I've never had a bullet "fail." I was disappointed in the performance of a Partition a couple times, one of which resulted in the only animal I've ever shot/lost with a rifle. Broke the front shoulder on a bull elk, and never recovered him. Really not sure exactly what happened, I suspect it was too far forward to hit anything vital, but managed to break the shoulder bone. He couldn't walk on it, and it wasn't dangling, I am sure it broke the humorous. I tracked him for about 4 hours, catching up to him a couple times, but not getting another one in him. Finally lost the track and never found him. Was it the bullets fault, or the shot placement? I'll never know. The second was a warthog I shot with a 375. The bullet seprated, and half the bullet exited vertical out the top of the hogs back. Bullets can do weird things, but I've never seen anything like it before. I still shoot partitions in my 375 and 35.

I think a thing with cup and core bullet's is you have to learn to choose the right bullet for the job. Example would be a 150gr bullet in 30 cal. In a 308 or 300 Savage it may work fine on deer but may leave something to be desired on larger game. Same bullet in a 300 mag may leave something to be desired as just to much velocity for that light a bullet. I have had only one bullet ever fail me. It was a 140 gr Sierra many years ago in a 7mm Rem Mag. Velocity was something beyond fast and accurate as could be. Got a shot at a black bear facing me at under 100yds and put the bullet right between it's legs and into the chest. Bear ran off about 30 yds and laid down. Another shot in the back of the head ended it. When I skinned that bear I found the bullet made it just under the skin and blew a huge cavern in the fat, didn't get inside. Problem wasn't really the bullet but rather the bullet I used could not stand up to the chore at hand. That was long before Sierra came out with the Pro Hunter line. Velocity plays the devil with bullet's when you have to much! In that case the bullet was going to fast to work properly yet the second finished it right now. How well it killed depended on where the shot was placed. After that I went to a 160gr bullet in he 7mm mag and never had the problem again. I decided with cup and core bullet's that a lean toward heavy for caliber bullet's greatly increased the performance of the bullet. Use care using cup and core bullet's and use care in placing them and they will not let you down.

I use either the Hornady SST's or the Nosler BT'S. The Hornady have thinner jackets and tend to shred at anything under 200yds, the Nosler BT's have a thicker jacket and I have never had jacket separation using them. Both are accurate and kill game, so it really depends on whether you mind if a bullet stays together or not. To me it doesn't matter, because the end result is the same.

Don- Not all plastic tipped bullets behave like the V-Max. Nothing could be further from the truth. The V-Max and A-Max have paper thin jackets and would blow up just as violently if they were hollow points. Neither is designed for big game. There are many plastic tipped bullets that are designed for big game, and the plastic tips do not cause excessive expansion. Also, your friend’s problem shooting 168 A-maxes is based on the fact that it’s a match bullet designed for custom chambers with long throats. You clearly know very little about the bullets that you’re bashing.

OP. I’ve loved VLDs since I started using them. Ballistic Tips and partitions are great as well.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back