Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

No Whitetail here!

devon deer

This is my latest place where the private landowner has given me exclusive permission to hunt, as soon as I saw it I though Whitetail habitat, but of course being in England there aren't any, however there were 50+ Fallow deer here last week!
I have shot 3 does to date, and seen some nice bucks but none have presented a safe shot yet.

The owners wife is great, she wants to shoot her first deer!
But initially she just wanted me to show her how to skin and butcher a deer, which we did last week, I did one side, she did the other, she loved it.
After Christmas I plan on introducing her to my rifles, just the .243 initially, then the 30-06, then ono her first deer.

If in the mean time I get a photo of a downed buck I will post it up.

Cheers

Richard

IMG_20191214_205023.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a great place, Richard. How many acres? Best of luck to you and the land owner.
It's around 200 acres, but at least half is woodland which is great.
I still have to visit all the other farms to keep the other farmers happy but I plan on hunting here around twice a week.
Having said that I just got home from another 2 farms and didn't see any deer let alone 50!

Cheers
Richard

Living in Idaho that picture looks fake with all the greenery compared to our yellows and browns and dull greens. Sounds amazing a decent Fallow deer buck is definitely on my wishlist

Living in Idaho that picture looks fake with all the greenery compared to our yellows and browns and dull greens. Sounds amazing a decent Fallow deer buck is definitely on my wishlist
I know, the farmer was only saying to me last week, the greenery in the foreground is wet undrained marsh land, in the back ground is heather/grass that has died off, he wants to put in some drainage.
October is the best time to get a Fallow buck where I am, in the rut.
Cheers
Richard

@Big Ears joined me yesterday for a hunt to christen his new rifle, what a beauty it is Blaser K95 in 7X57R, first fallow deer we spotted, bang deer down, making our way back to the truck bumped into another group, bang, another deer down.
But I let the side down, I let him shoot first, when I shot I missed, that is rare for me but it happens, it wasn't until I unloaded the rifle back at the truck I realised I had loaded my rifle with my 'foxing' round, no wonder the deer jumped in the air, I shot under it, it was dark when we arrived and I selected the wrong rounds from my pouch!
However, I redeemed myself later, on another farm I had been seeing 35+ red deer, yesterday we watched them walk to another farm, so we split up and waited, it worked, I watched as 4 reds appeared, I rang big ears (we are allowed to do that in the UK) and said get over here quick, we formulated a plan, sneaked up and I fired the .243, this time with the correct cartridge, the hind when straight down, just hard work getting her out!

Big ears Fallow doe, in total I have shot 4 here now.
C90DFAF6-0431-408C-AF0D-F434D0A4780D.jpeg

I was about to post this but @devon deer beat me too it. Was a long but good day yesterday. I now have true confidence in this rifle and comes to the shoulder really well. Good luck Richard tomorrow it won’t be long until I join you out again I hope.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back