No Optics on ML in NM 2023

This thread got me thinking… so as I have gotten older my eyesight is not what it once was. I have to use reading glasses. What can be done to help with this when shooting open sights. It is a real PITA.

Assuming your eyesight is aging like most people, two things will help. 1. An aperture rear sight. (AKA a tang sight, though other configurations exist). 2. Weak diopert in your shooting glasses.

If the aperture on the rifle isn't to your liking or if you want to experiment, a small pin hole stuck on your glasses will get it done. You can also find such things on Amazon along with inexpensive safety glasses with very mild diopters (e.g., +0.5 or +0.75). These in combination work very well for being able to see the front, rear sights and target. Some experimentation is required.

You missed the point. It isn’t about the difference between muzzle loaders and black powder cartridges, it is about how muzzleloaders have been altered to the point of being modified to replicate smokeless powder cartridge guns and still be labeled muzzleloader.

A black powder cartridge gun is closer to what muzzleloader seasons started out to be, than what muzzleloaders have become through the modernization and development of muzzleloaders to get a cartridge type of advantage.

I am not endorsing the addition of another season for another firearm, just trying to point out how BPCR is closer to the original intent of muzzleloader seasons…
Kirk, I agree that some states have gone off the rails with "modern" muzzleloaders. Luckly where we live "Montana" the traditional style muzzleloaders are what is legal. With this designation our Sharps do not belong in that season as they are far advanced from the original muzzleloaders. Heck they could be compared to the modern muzzleloaders that are not legal. Their only difference is the ability to load faster. So my opinion is all BPCR guns should be used during rifle season. You have proved they are very effective just read your posts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back