No more Ducks in the future?

Nut

Here is a dreaded copy and paste but I thought it was important

A recent court decision has dealt a large blow to wetland protection. If the congress does not pass the "Clean Water Authority Restoration Act of 2003 (S.473 and H.R. 962) it is entirely possible that 50% of the prairie potholes in the Dakotas will be drained and farmed over. The prairie potholes are our most important breeding grounds, and a loss of this magnitude could mean such a drastic decline in waterfowl populations that seasons could close for good. Contact your US Representative and Senators and urge them to co-sponsor and support S. 473 in the Senate and H.R. 962 in the House. There is more information on this in the August Field & Stream, DU's website and other waterfowling forums.

I'm posting below a letter to President Bush signed by several organizations urging him to support this critical habitat protection.

Do it for the ducks, and for the future of waterfowling!

June 26, 2003

The Honorable George W. Bush
President
The White House
1st Floor, West Wing
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President,

As our nation's leading hunting and angling organizations, we are writing to express our strong opposition to potential regulatory changes that would eliminate long-standing Clean Water Act protections for millions of acres of wetlands and thousands of small lakes and ponds. For America's 47.8 million hunters and anglers the protection of the wetlands and waters where we hunt and fish is one of the single most important issues pending before the Federal government.

Specifically, we are concerned that the January 15, 2003 Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on the Clean Water Act Definition of "Waters of the United States" will ultimately lead to the elimination of Clean Water Act protections for isolated wetlands, lakes and ponds. We do not believe the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency should proceed with a rulemaking to redefine "waters of the United States" and ultimately narrow the scope of the Clean Water Act. After three decades as the most important federal statute in the protection of fish and wildlife habitat it is inappropriate from our perspective that the rule making process may be used to significantly weaken the Clean Water Act provisions of greatest importance to sportsmen.

America's rich hunting and fishing traditions are inextricably tied to the protection of habitat and as sportsmen and Republican Presidents have known for over 100 years isolated wetlands and small ponds are among the most important of all habitat:

"a little pool out on the prairie will show along its edges numerous traces of animal life; for, though of small extent, and a long distance from other water, it may be the home of beavers, and muskrats, the breeding place of different kinds of ducks and the drinking place for the denizens of dry country roundabouts, such as wolves, antelope, and badgers."

Theodore Roosevelt
Hunting Trips of A Ranchman -- 1885

Today, over half of all the ducks in North American begin their lives in the small prairie potholes extolled by Teddy Roosevelt. However, if Clean Water Act jurisdiction over isolated bodies of water is removed, 96% of these wetlands, and thousands of lakes and ponds enjoyed by millions of fishermen, could be polluted and filled in without recourse.

We are calling upon you, as a fellow hunter, fisherman, and conservationist to stop any proposed rulemaking by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and or the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency that would abolish long-standing Clean Water Act protections for wetlands and other small bodies of water. Absent these protections, your goal of "no net loss" of wetlands and the full potential of voluntary wetland restoration and banking programs will never be realized.

We look forward to working with you in the coming months on this matter of critical importance. Your leadership on this issue is greatly appreciated by America's hunters and anglers.

Sincerely,

American Fisheries Society
American Fly Fishing Association
American Sportfishing Association
BASS/ESPN Outdoors
Boone & Crockett Club
Buckmasters American Deer Foundation
Campfire Club of America
Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation
Dallas Safari Club
Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Ducks Unlimited, Inc.
International Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies
Izaak Walton League of America
Mule Deer Foundation
National Shooting Sports Foundation
National Trappers Association
National Wild Turkey Federation
North American Grouse Partnership
Pheasants Forever
Pope and Young Club
Pure Fishing
Quail Unlimited
Ruffed Grouse Society
Shikar-Safari Club International
Texas Wildlife Association
The Wildlife Society
Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership
Trout Unlimited
U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance
Wildlife Forever
Wildlife Management Institute

GREAT POST
biggrin.gif

There at leastI got a reply
tongue.gif

Three women die together in an accident and go to heaven. When they get there, St. Peter says, "We only have one rule here in heaven. Don't step on the ducks!" So they enter heaven, and sure enough, there are ducks all over the place. It is almost impossible not to step on a duck, and although they try their best to avoid them, the first woman accidentally steps on one. Along comes St. Peter with the ugliest man she ever saw. St. Peter chains them together and says, "Your punishment for stepping on a duck is to spend eternity chained to this ugly man." The next day, the second woman steps accidentally on a duck, and along comes St. Peter, who doesn't miss a thing, and with him is another extremely ugly man. He chains them together with the same admonishment as for the first woman. The third woman has observed all this and, not wanting to be chained for all eternity to an ugly man, is very careful where she steps. She manages to go months without stepping on any ducks, but one day St. Peter comes up to her with the most handsome man she has ever laid eyes on. St. Peter chains them together without saying a word. The woman remarks, "I wonder what I did to deserve being chained to you for all of eternity?" The guy says, "I don't know about you, but I stepped on a duck!"

I can't believe what a mockery you are making of the oldest hunting sport in the world, duck hunting, this goes back to the Egyptians using reeds for barrels in their shotguns.

Oh yeah Nut well I have been duck hunting more times then you have peed, you don't have a clue what the hell you are talking about

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back