No knead crusty bread

hank4elk

I remembered an old favorite bread recipe. EZ,for dummies.
King Arthur Flour's,online.

7 cups all purpose flour or 1/2 & 1/2 whole wheat if desired.
3 cups water
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoon active yeast

This is my method that works for me at here in NM. High altitude and low humidity.

Mix dry then add water in large bowl with whisk. I then place dough in a greased dutch oven and put in fridge to rise overnight.
Letting it rise in the cooking vessel removes the transfer deflation and rerise that is usually needed and a pain here to achieve.
Take out an hour or so to get warm & preheat oven to 450. You can make a couple loaves,but this deflates dough...
Bake 25-35 min.

My ex is an expert baker, old world crusty bread hero and she liked it.
Understood all the reasons too at this altitude/humidity place.

No knead crusty bread, from an old need crusty guy.

King Arthur Flour has good products and recipes online.

I started making no knead bread 4-5 years ago. Love it, and so do most people that try it. A few months before covid started I made a sourdough starter and played with that for a year or so, but am now back to no knead

the last loaf of bread i made. may 9th last year. not even a good picture, but it's the last loaf of bread i made.

flour, water, salt, yeast.

then all you need is lots of butter and local raw honey.

thanks hank, i can't let it be a full year since i baked bread.

IMG-7727.jpg

I started making no knead bread 4-5 years ago. Love it, and so do most people that try it. A few months before covid started I made a sourdough starter and played with that for a year or so, but am now back to no knead
I had sourdough starter and it would just sit or explode...lol.
Any thing I tried that had to be punched down and rise again, never rose again.
The ex could make bread so good the artisan bakers begged for samples , and could not get bread to work @ 7500' and low humidity either.
She told me about King Arthur flour and all.

Well, since it's going to blow outside bad today I might as well make some. I'll have hot bread with dinner.

the last loaf of bread i made. may 9th last year. not even a good picture, but it's the last loaf of bread i made.

flour, water, salt, yeast.

then all you need is lots of butter and local raw honey.

thanks hank, i can't let it be a full year since i baked bread.

View attachment 220017
That's a beautiful loaf!

I try to avoid breads and such,, don't work as hard as I used to so need to watch what I eat,,

but the stuff in this thread has me rethinking that strategy!!

Good looking bread folks

if you make bread to have with dinner hank, we're gonna need some pics.
I couldn't wait,rushed it. Does need the overnight in fridge to get the tang & rise. Needed more water in dough. Rose decent in the kitchen so what the hell.
Came out so so, dropped a bit and not great color.
Dense in center, but tasty with butter & P butter.
Rio agrees.

Sorry guys, I really shouldn't eat bread either. I eat the whole thing.
But since I did bake it...burgers ,patty melt?IMG_0025 (3).JPG

I couldn't wait,rushed it. Does need the overnight in fridge to get the tang & rise. Needed more water in dough. Rose decent in the kitchen so what the hell.
Came out so so, dropped a bit and not great color.
Dense in center, but tasty with butter & P butter.
Rio agrees.

Sorry guys, I really shouldn't eat bread either. I eat the whole thing.
But since I did bake it...burgers ,patty melt?View attachment 220042

oh boy. you just put patty melts on my mind.

my vote is smoke up some burgers with cheddar cheese, roasted hatch, and toast that bread to hold it all together 😁

oh boy. you just put patty melts on my mind.

my vote is smoke up some burgers with cheddar cheese, roasted hatch, and toast that bread to hold it all together 😁
No way I am even stepping outside,let alone start the smoker today. Really bad here with the winds & fire danger.
Smoked sand and smoke burgers?

Tillamook sharp & hatch on skillet burgers. Lightly toasted, light mayo & brown mustard.

No way I am even stepping outside,let alone start the smoker today. Really bad here with the winds & fire danger.
Smoked sand and smoke burgers?

Tillamook sharp & hatch on skillet burgers. Lightly toasted, light mayo & brown mustard.

good call on that wind. it's really starting crank up here too.

smoked burgs indeed.

form up some patties. give em about 30-45 minutes on that smoker at 200 degrees. pull em off, rest em for 10 minutes. fire up that skillet and sear them to kingdom come for about a minute a side, add diced hatch and cover hatch with cheese right after the first flip. mmm mmm.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back