COVID Carbs

MThuntr

Ok so as much as I want to continue to hijack the other thread about gun control...we probably should let that one either go back to the intended topic or let it play it's course.

So here is my COVID Carbs recipe. It has helped me gain my COVID-19 pounds. This recipe requires a lot of time to develop but it is easy and can even be neglected a little.

Everything is in grams...get with it people metric system is easier to use. There are a billion videos and methods. I use a "no knead" like method called Stretch and Fold. I like Josh Weissman, FoodGeek, and Bread by Joy Ride Coffee on YouTube for inspiration on basics and then just did what I thought worked for my abilities.

Yield 2 loaves.

760 grams of High Protein Bread Flour
190 grams of Rye Flour (substitute whole wheat if you choose)
700 grams of warm water
22 grams of salt

100 grams of mature, active sourdough starter.

Mix flour, water and salt together until you get a shaggy dough...let sit in warm area to autolyse for 1 hour (DO NOT SKIP)
Add Sourdough starter and mix.
Cover let sit for 30 minutes
Stretch and Fold...easiest with wet hands
Repeat stretch and fold (after 30 minutes) until you get good "window pane" stretchy dough. Typically this is accomplished in 3 to 4 times
Cover and proof for around 3 hours

On unfloured counter cut dough in half. Pre-form into balls by pulling loaf across counter until a tight ball forms. Repeat with second loaf. Let rest for 20 minutes to let relax.
Flip loaf over and stitch the bottom together. Sometimes I stitch the bottom seem then roll the dough onto itself making what looks like a Swiss Roll (thanks Little Debbie)
Place loaf seam side up (smooth part down) in floured cloth lined bowl or banneton. Wrap in plastic bag and refrigerate overnight. Honestly loaf shape isn't as important as making sure you have good gluten formation and let the bread proof (not too much) and then ferment in the fridge.

Preheat over and cast iron dutch oven (and lid) to 500 degrees plus give an additional 15 minutes to ensure everything is crazy hot
Take 1 loaf out and turn out on a piece of parchment paper...score with a very sharp razor blade.
put in preheated dutch oven and cover. Bake for 18-20 minutes
Uncover and turn oven down to 450. Bake additional 18-20 minutes.

Finished loaf will sound hollow...let cool completely before you cut

pre ferment loaves.jpgfinished loaves.jpg

Last edited:
What are grams? Is this why my baked goods never turn out for me? :) looks good thanks

I completely understand about warm bread. I usually make 2-4 loaves at a time. One often gets destroyed by visitors while still warm if people hear I'm baking
My FIL single handedly took down the first loaf out of the oven last time around.

Looks damn delicious MtHuntr. Those look like they'd be good and classy as grilled cheese sandwich bread.

Here's my contribution to the thread and what I just had for lunch:

- Handful of Pirate Booty styrofoam popcorn
- Cover in glob or 4 of queso
- Deploy heap of ground meat. This is beef from Montana's Boulder Valley
- Mix and eat
pirate.jpg

Following this one as there is far less chance of this one getting shut down!

That being said, anyone have any good beer bread recipes? My family has come to love beer bread pizza that we do about once a month. Can’t say it’s the best in the world, but I’ve never been tempted to look for something better. I’ll dig it out and post it at some point!

I think @jryoung needs to add that GF recipe. I need to earn some brownie points with the wife, seeing as I just bought my xmas present early (WY cow tag).

I think @jryoung needs to add that GF recipe. I need to earn some brownie points with the wife, seeing as I just bought my xmas present early (WY cow tag).

Not sure if my wife will share but I have another pro-carb pro-tip from my son. Form a pronghorn patty into a triangle shape and put in between two slices of cold pizza as a bun.

PXL_20201108_022805648.jpg

So you're going straight from fridge to oven @Mthuntr? Interesting.
Yes. I've never tried letting things get to room temp but so far the only failures were the associated with experiments with pumpkin spice bread (Basic B*$ch Bread) and the first couple loaves because I was still not sure what to do.

I bet room temp could offer a touch more oven spring.

Yes. I've never tried letting things get to room temp but so far the only failures were the associated with experiments with pumpkin spice bread (Basic B*$ch Bread) and the first couple loaves because I was still not sure what to do.

I bet room temp could offer a touch more oven spring.

That's what I've found, but also my starter doesn't rise much while in the fridge. So if I go right from second knead, to fridge, to oven I think I would have a pretty dense loaf.

That's what I've found, but also my starter doesn't rise much while in the fridge. So if I go right from second knead, to fridge, to oven I think I would have a pretty dense loaf.
Actually it isn't dense. I don't have good pics of the crumb but on my next batch I'll take pictures to compare.

Here is an early batch but I know the structure improved significantly with my technique since then

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201109-153659_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20201109-153659_Instagram.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 0
Actually it isn't dense. I don't have good pics of the crumb but on my next batch I'll take pictures to compare.

Here is an early batch but I know the structure improved significantly with my technique since then
I meant with MY specific starter it would be dense I think. It doesn't rise hardly at all in the fridge. It was born in FL, it doesn't like the cold lol

So how do we go about getting our hands on some of that starter? I love me some good rye bread (especially for reubens), but just do store bought bread and haven't found anything in stores yet that really excites me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back