Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

No entiendo lo que estas diciendo. ¿Hablas inglés? - An Argentinian Experience

Day 3 - Mas de lo mismo (More of the same)

This second morning of waterfowl hunting we are heading back out with Raul from the fiest afternoon and a new guide named Diago. He had come into the lodge this morning to help out and he would be taking over the lodge so Damian could get a few days off.

All three groups were headed to the same body of water. It was a massive flat that appeared to be very shallow based on where and how many flamingos we saw. This morning was the first time we experienced it being calm and with the air temperature right at freezing, it was quite foggy directly over the warmer water. We didn't spook a lot of birds as we walked to the blind - yes we actually had to walk to this one as it was about 1000 yards out on the end if a island - but it didn't take long after we were setup and flock after flock kept showing up. Given the early morning lighting and fog, it was still pretty dark and we chose to not shoot quite yet but instead just take some videos. Meanwhile, we can hear the other two groups just banging away. 15 mintues or so go by and we are still enjoying the morning flight and we agree it's time to begin. Here's the problem though. With hundreds, wait no it was definitely in the thousands, of ducks rafted around us from in the decoys to a few hundred feet away, it was difficult to pick the first group to shoot at since they were landing all over but not necessarily in a way landing nicely into our decoys. I tell my wife that the next duck she gets in range to just shoot once to spook the entire flock so we can start. A duck shortly after banked far out to her left and she shot and missed it. Complete chaos once again followed and I was able to keep count of the ducks we shot at up until 15. Probably not even 5 mintues had gone by. It was so fast and furious I lost count as there were times Ibwas reloading and my wife was shooting solo or visa versa. In total we used 5 boxes of shells between us and when we were at the end of that 5th box, Raul just said go ahead and shoot our guns empty and we finished. We ended up retrieving 43 and I know at least 3 were swimming away with their heads up that we didnt get. There were also at least 3 misses each. Once again the wound loss bothered me.

On the way back, Diago talked with us a bunch since he speaks really good English and he is a really great guy. Hands down the best guy, of many great people, we got the pleasure to hunt with. We had some great in depth conversations about wildlife management and their crappy government. It was really fantastic to see how important hunting management is to them and how they take it upon themselves to do it. The government actually has a daily limit of 50 ducks/day but he explained that it really isn't anything they can enforce and there are a lot of outfitters that while not advertising it will actually sell "500 duck days from one blind" and get clients that will pay huge amounts of money to do that. Our outfitter, who Diago is part owner of, actually limits their blinds to 50 ducks in the morning and 30 in the afternoon or a total of 80 ducks per hunting couple per day. They feel that with that amount it's enough to satisfy the clients "high volume" desire and keep their duck spots fresh and producing the same results. Another thing they do to ensure consistent high volume hunts like we experienced is to only hunt a blind once a week. In their gear/guide room, they have a big white board with all the blinds noted on it. There are over 50 of them and they mark them off after each trip to keep track.

I also asked Diago where most of his clients are from. He told me that they only advertise in the States and they try to only book people from the States. He explained that people he has dealt with from Europe, especially from France (I had to laugh out load to that), are too needy and too demanding. They dont have any appreciation for the wildlife let alone to overall experience. I brought up about how wound loss was bothering me and how that shows how much I do care about the wildlife and he was like, yes exactly. He said there was a group from France last year and they would knock a duck down and refuse to use a shell of their allotment (you get 4 boxes max in the morning per person, 2 in the afternoon) to finish a duck on the water. I laughed because 4 boxes seems impossible to go through. He said those guys will use all 4 boxes and not even have their 25 because they miss so much and our guides just let them keep shooting because they know they are never hitting the ducks. He said that a normal blind for that group will pick up 30 ducks max!

We get back to the lodge and out the back door there is a fire rolling and good smells. I head out to investigate and discover a Bbq of flank meat and pork ribs and vegatables. I'm really enjoying all this fire cooked food. After we eat and chat some more, my wife and I decide today we are going to take a nap. Dang it, we are getting old arent we. We set the alarm to wake up in an hour and we both fall asleep and get almost that full hour.

We gear up and head out in the early afternoon for a very cool setting for our afternoon hunt. I told Diago that I would appreciate it if we could hunt this afternoon a little bit slower where we ensure that we get all ducks we shoot. He said we could go for it which meant that if there was a swimmer or one winged I'd be chasing after it. The group from Georgia was going to be set up on the other side of this big pond. Idea being that the ducks would be constantly trading back and forth. We also decided we were going to try and identify all ducks we shot in flight and actually just take drakes. As a result, man did we shoot good. Not even three boxes total between us which included probably a dozen at head up on the water downed birds. We didn't miss a single duck except for one which we for sure hit with feathers flying but he just kept on flying. 29 ducks in the photo at the end. Much better.

On the way back, Raul said we needed to finally try "real" Mate. Google it if you want. Basically it's a tea. There are claims and notes about it having substances in it, some say its just the caffeine. Regardless it was actually on my list of things to try and was super happy when asked. The four of us while driving back passed the cup each taking our turn. It's a unique taste for sure, not bad though. I never really felt anything funny after a few turns so maybe it is just caffeine.

Diago also decided to stop at a local bakery. You wouldn't even know it was a bakery based on how it looked on the outside but he went in and came out with some of the best looking Argentinian donuts. He said they are a must try. Damn delicious. Honestly, I think it was at this point that I knew we had selected the right outfitter. What kind of outfitter just stops on the fly and buys a couple donuts for his clients? A good one, no a great one I suppose.

Back to lodge and Santi arrived. Santi is who I dealt with almost exclusely during the booking and planning of our trip. Santi showed up so he could take us to the big game lodge the next day. We got to chat with him for awhile before dinner as well is with the other two groups. The older group from California decided to do doves that afternoon. They went through an entire case of shells and got over 50 although I guess the old guy doesn't have the speed anymore to hit ducks as his son thinks he only got maybe 5 of those 50 doves.

Dinner tonight was duck in a sweet gravy, sweat pototoes and a spinage souffle. Fantastic meal once again. Ive never had duck this good before, not exactly sure how they cooked it so good. The desset with peaches and walnuts and bunch of stuff I didnt know what it was but it was by far the best we've had yet.

I don't have very good nternet right now as we are traveling for a camping trip. If internet improves, I'll update with all the photos from this day.

There was no service (or very little) as normal at the little piece of heaven we venture to in the northwoods of WI every 4th.

Here are all the day three photos. Tonight I will be working hard on getting more of the trip story posted up.

IMG-20230621-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20230621-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20230617-WA0032.jpg

20230617_082459.jpg

20230617_082514.jpg

20230617_082508.jpg

IMG-20230617-WA0027.jpg

20230617_085558.jpg

20230617_112733.jpg

20230617_112921.jpg

20230617_152543.jpg

20230617_163210.jpg

20230617_164512.jpg

20230617_164618.jpg

20230617_165047.jpg

IMG-20230621-WA0017.jpg

20230617_193849.jpg

20230617_200955.jpg

IMG-20230621-WA0007.jpg

Attachments

• 20230617_082510.jpg
    20230617_082510.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
@seeth07 You came close to getting a sternly worded encouragement from me to keep this trip saga continuing, but all is right with the world as you are back from the holiday trip.

Question: bring your waders with, or use the lodge's waders? Quite a heavy thing to fly with, I would imagine.

@seeth07 You came close to getting a sternly worded encouragement from me to keep this trip saga continuing, but all is right with the world as you are back from the holiday trip.

Question: bring your waders with, or use the lodge's waders? Quite a heavy thing to fly with, I would imagine.
We used the lodge waders. They were crappy Neoprenes from China. I guess they probably all mostly are but these weren't even hiding it and quality was so bad. Diago complained about them and how its extremely difficult to get waders for their lodge. He said they get most of their good ones from clients that bring them with and then leave them behind. In fact, the older father/son from California did just that. They brought brand new nice La Crosse waders to use on the trip and then were leaving them behind in exchange for shells. It is something that I really wish we would have done.

Day 4 - Adiós y Hola (Goodbye and Hello)

For this final morning, we requested the night before to head out with Diago and Raul. They were happy to schedule it that way. It isn't that we were unhappy with anyone else that we hunted with we just simply preferred their company more. Since we have a 4.5 hour trip today to a different lodge, we will be heading to our own spot that isn't quite as far away. Its about a 30 minute drive total from lodge to blind and we once again drive right up to it and get unloaded and setup. Its SUPER early, like still pitch black. We had got up at the same time as everyone else in the lodge and they all had an hour drive to their spot. As we got in the blind, we couldn't see any ducks flying around but we sure could hear the deafening sounds of them quacking, whistling and peeping. After about 15 minutes, birds started to get up and move around on the water and the show began. For probably 30 more minutes, we just sat there and soaked it all in. Took a few videos but mostly just sat in awe at the 1000s of ducks working and landing and taking off all within 100 yards of us. It honestly crossed my mind that I would be totally happy just sitting there and watching this all morning - it truly is a sight to behold and witness.

The guns did come out and we were both laser focused to be efficient. I remember being1 box in each and we were already at 19 with only 2 missed. The end count was 46 retrieved, 1 winged and lost and 6 missed. Raul gave us a few extra to finish up our 5th total box of shells.

20230618_073052.jpg

20230618_091011.jpg

20230618_091229.jpg

After 6 total waterfowl hunts, we couldn't have been happier. It for sure is a unique experience. I've certainly had hunts back in the States that come close to what we have experienced but on those hunts, you stop after 5-15 minutes of shooting because you've hit your 6 duck limit. In Argentina, you get to enjoy it for 4 times as long and every single hunt is just about equally as good. Word of caution however if you plan on going on a trip like this: not all outfitters are the same. In the airport on the way home, we met two older gentleman who were returning home just like us from a 5 day waterfowl/dove hunt. They could not believe how many ducks we shot in 3 days and how easy we told them it was. Most days they sat in the blind until 11am-noon and never got a limit! Their best day was 35 ducks total. They were promised mornings filled with limits of 50 ducks each. It was a very bad drought and I'm guessing this outfitter pushed and hunted his properties with less water too hard and the ducks went elsewhere.

We got back to the duck lodge to change and pack. The cook was nice and packed up some empanadas for us to have while on the road. We start loading up Santi's truck and I notice a flat rear tire. Yup, there is a pretty nasty gash and we need to get it changed. Now it really feels like being back home on a hunting trip!

20230618_100528.jpg

20230618_100538.jpg

20230618_100556.jpg

The long drive is pretty uneventful and boring. Mostly traveling across flatlands of grass, marsh and farmfields. Again, basically picture traveling across the flat regions of Kansas or Nebraska. We arrive to an estate called "Mencota". We are greeted by Martine who lives here along with his uncle who we will later meet. Martine is the "main guide" and will be accompanying us on our hunts while there. We walk into the house and meet Natalia who is the maid/chef. She was so nice and sweet the entire time while we were there. She speaks almost no English but we were still able to get to see her kind personality.

The house is very old and later we will find out that it is actually one of the oldest in the area. It's got a very unique feel to it. A mix of hunting lodge with wealthy. Our room is actually updated and quite new. New flooring, freshly painted woodwork, a completely remodeled bathroom, all very nice.

They had an old plat map - I highlighted the home estate parcel:

20230618_164322.jpg

After getting settled in, we apparently had some miscommunication about the plans for that evening. We had thought they told us to get settled in and then come back out to practice shooting the rifles but when we came back out, they were confused why we didn't change as they were wanting us to get ready to head out hunting right away. I insisted that we shoot the guns though and I really wanted to do that to make sure that we were both comfortable with the gun they wanted us to shoot. They agree and Santi pulls out his gun, a Savage 300 win mag. I thought o boy, that seems like a lot of overkill. When Martine pulled out his old gun and said it was a .308, I was much more pleased. I suggested that we practice with that one and see how we like it. It was a Mauser Modelo Argentino 1909. He said that it was his fathers from his time in the army. There was no caliber marking on the barrel and it wasn't until I returned home that I found out it actually is a 7.65mm. A .308 is technically a slightly smaller bullet but pretty darn close. Here is the quick wiki if you are a gun nut and interested in what it is: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_1909_Modelo_Argentino

20230619_102618.jpg

20230618_175311.jpg

Turns out it actually is a pretty solid shooter. I was 2" high at 100 yards and my wife was 6" right at 83 yards. Both shot a group under a quarter size for 3 shots and for whatever reason, its not uncommon for her to shoot a rifle differently than me. We both know where to aim and adjust and we are now comfortable to head out hunting.

We get in the truck and head out which means just leaving the yard and out into the pasture. Driving down the long road to the house on the way in we did actually spot a few blackbuck so we knew it wouldn't take long from the house to find some game. There is only about an hour of light left but a few minutes down a two track road and we spot some axis deer running from us. We get out of the truck and through some bushes to get a better look and don't find a buck, all does and fawns. We get back in the truck and Santi explains that there is absolutely no shooting from anywhere near the truck although the gun is loaded in the magazine and ready to go.

We spot a few blackbuck but nothing that gets Martine excited. A few miles away from the house and Martine parks the truck and we all get out to do some glassing around the corner of a bunch of thick cover. Behind them and not too far away we discover two blackbuck and one that looks pretty good to me. Martine says to grab the gun and lets go. Actually, he doesn't really speak a lot of English. It was more like "Shoot. OK?" I go back and get the gun and Martine and I are off.

They are over 600 yards away from the range I take. At this distance, I can see good horns on the one but honestly not really well enough to know he is a big mature one. I don't know how Martine could. We start off. Directly at them. No cover. Martine moves extremely slow and motions for me to follow exactly behind him. Later he explained to me that he was using the cover of the black brush behind us to prevent them from seeing us. We easily get to 300 yards and now I can tell at least that one is way bigger than other and has pretty good horns. They are walking away from us and for some reason Martine starts to scan around almost as if he has lost interest and then all of a sudden he goes "Wow, Big, big, big one". I actually didn't see anything in the direction he was looking and didn't have time to as he starts to take off on a fast walk. We walk over that direction now and due to some trees and bushes, there appears to be a lot of cover to hide us moving that direction. We get to a fence and we are 400 yards away and I can tell there are 3. I can see a small one (like maybe a 1.5 year old) and again two nicer ones but hardly which one is better. I'm also confused because they are both roughly the same size as the ones we just left. We get to about 250 yards by just walking down the fence line with bushes on the side helping break up most of our movements. In our haste however, the youngest, which is closest to us, isn't happy and spots us. We remain still and he doesn't spook but remains on alert. Then Martine points to his right (the other two are on this bucks left) and goes "big" and points. Here comes a 4th into the group and when I look, I finally notice a difference. He is huge, I understand what got him all excited. The youngest actually continues to move to the right while the big one goes left and joins the other two. Once the three all get out of view due to bushes, we make a run for it and use that cover between us to get closer and setup for a shot. We crawl through that brush and Martine sets up some shooting sticks on the other side. At this point, I'm honestly thinking that I didn't want it to end this early. As I get the gun setup on the sticks, I can't get comfortable on them. The setup and rest was just not good for the position I was in (standing but hunched over uncomfortably low) compounded by the brush I had to shoot through. To top it off, there was hardly any light left coming into his cheap Bushnell scope and I couldn't easily find which of the three was the big one. I wasn't comfortable and decided to not shoot. I told this to Martine and he was able to understand through my hand motions. Hunt over. Overall, that night I bet we saw close to 50 blackbuck and about 30 axis deer but just one buck - a spiker.

Back at lodge, we have some appetizers and drinks. Another guy is there for drinks and he can't speak any English. His name is Luis and turns out he is the owner. Dinner was empanadas to start and then Italian spinach and ricotta cannelloni.

This has been a great log of your experience so far!! I've enjoyed the longer, thorough description of the trip and your experiences. Sounds amazing!

Day 5 - Mas duro de lo que piensas (Harder than you think)

After that first evening hunt, I was really thinking this wasn't going to be that hard. Today we learn that it certainly isn't a walk in the park.

We start the day off with what has been the same normal breakfast. A change in host location had no impact on the high quality and quantity of food to fuel our days adventures. We leave the house and its about a 45 minute drive to go around and get to the compete other side of the ranch. There is a heavily wooded island (high ground surrounded by marsh) over on that side of the ranch and in the recent weeks, they have seen a few really big buck axis deer over there and wanted us to hunt it. It's crazy just how huge this property is that we need to do that much driving to get from one end to the other. The wooded island that we would be hunting I later measured on onX to be roughly 1 mile wide by 3 miles long.

On the way over, I found out that in total, this estate will host about 40 hunters total for Capybara, Water Buffalo, Wild Boar, Axis deer and Blackbuck. They start in March and end in August. I thought that was a really small amount of hunters given the size of the property and the amount of time. The most they will have in the home at one time is 3 people hunting. We were "1 hunter" as we were hunting together.

The hunting this morning was vastly different than the evening before. We joined up with a local farmer and the 5 of us parked at the edge of the island and started to still hunt. Its very foggy and we can't see well through the brush, maybe 100 yards max. Due to the brush though, maximum sight wasn't much more than that. Martine is very slow and methodical. He takes a few steps and looks through his binoculars. Not much is catching his attention at first. I actually spot the first deer - a doe that trots far to our left and away from us. Finally Martine catches a deer and motions for us to all remain back while he and my wife move forward and investigate. For 15 minutes I can see them moving slowly and glassing ahead. I never see any deer but my wife tells me that there was an entire herd of them with a small buck. This happens again and again throughout the entire morning. Probably 6-7 more times but they never catch sight of a good buck, mostly almost all does. We also see some hares, perdiz, of course ducks, pigeons and doves. O and did you know there are Ostrich in South America?!? We certainly didn't and we were quite shocked when we ran into a flock of 6 of them at 100 yards and these 6' tall birds start to run away! We also found an egg from them, man is that thing huge. At the end of the walk about we in total put on a hike almost 4 miles long over about 3 hours of time.

20230619_075112.jpg

20230619_080325.jpg

20230619_081731.jpg

20230619_081736.jpg

20230619_083509.jpg

20230619_092234.jpg

20230619_093458.jpg

20230619_100334.jpg

20230619_173744.jpg

We get back at lodge to Natalia making lunch outside on the fire. Beef tenderloin, blood sausage and chorizo were cooking. She had a potato salad and some raw vegetables prepared as well. My family growing up used to make blood sausage from pigs we slaughtered so I was aware what it was and what it could possibly contain. I hadn't had any in a long time and it wasn't exactly something I loved as a kid but I was excited to try and see what it was like here. I forced my wife to try and she told me to just not tell her what was in it. It was a very salty/spicy mixture and I honestly wasn't really a fan of it. Right at the end of my sausage, I made a cut and revealed an obvious chunk of hairy snout. I was done. Erica said she was pretty sure she ate a piece of tongue. At home, my German family that made the blood sausage often used similar parts of the pig as filler as well so wasn't really a shock to see it made in a similar way.

20230619_133856.jpg

Santi had to go to town to fix the flat tire we changed right before we left the other lodge. That meant that hunting this afternoon/evening was going to be just with Martine. This worried me a little bit since Martine didn't speak English. We were going to have to mainly rely on hand motions and a few words to communicate key things during our hunt. We left the house not long after lunch and we didn't get too far and blackbuck just appear in every which direction. Martine decides to pull the truck off to the side and suggests we take a short walk down a brushline and get to the end and glass. We do that and there are still blackbuck everywhere. I see a few that look like pretty good bucks but Martine is very interested in one that is all by himself. He points to it and says "big, yes?" I nod after looking at him but again, to be honest, the thing is over 1000 yards away and I really have no clue. We start to just walk at it all in a line where we again are using the brush behind us and keeping it in line with the buck. We get to roughly 500 yards away and the perfect thing happens - we see him bed and he disappears from sight. How perfect. We continue further and at 300 yards due to my tall figure I'm able to respot him by just seeing the tips of his horns. Martine can't see, he is too short. Martine gets down on all 4s and motions that we need to crawl from here. We all get down and start to belly crawl to about 200 yards away and I start to get set up. At this point, his entire head is now visible and he is looking our direction but I'm not exactly sure that he saw us as he was bedded and looking that direction anyways. Due to the amount of time we have, I really move around a lot and get my pack situated in a very comfortable position with the rifle over the top. This is exactly a setup I practice all the time at home. Not longer after I'm happy with my position, the buck stands up. I had ranged before getting the rifle ready that it was 185 yards. I put the crosshairs behind the shoulder and aim right mid body thinking it will maybe drop an inch or two low of that point of aim. I shoot. He bolts off like he isn't even hit. He is sprinting and bounding at full speed and hits a cattle fence after about 200 yards and just stands there. With my binoculars I can actually see blood pouring out his side. He falls over after a brief moment.

Martine wants to wait awhile. We sit around and my wife and I talk about what just happened and after 15 or so minutes Martine motions for us to go. We walk up slowly and cautiously and at about 100 yards away, we finally can see him through the binoculars and confirm his head is over and finished. Turns out it was a perfect double lung shot, right behind the shoulders exactly where I was planning to hit. Those things just have some crazy adrenaline and enough to put on quite the distance after being hit. After a bunch of photos, Martine asks Erica if she would like to try and go shoot a blackbuck now. We tell him no, that her real goal is to try and hunt an Axis deer now.

20230619_153946.jpg

20230619_154016.jpg

20230619_154044.jpg

20230619_154150.jpg

20230619_154206.jpg

20230619_155357.jpg

We start driving further away and deeper into the ranch and in the process we do find some groups mulling and hanging out in the grassland/marshes. We get pretty far in and on the 5th group we see a monster way out in the middle of this thick marsh in a huge herd of maybe 50 of them. We drive a long ways around so the wind would be good and we are at least a mile away from them. Long walk ahead. Sure the spotting is fairly easy but the stalking is going to be far from it, especially given how big this group is.

We had parked at the start of a dike that cuts through and divides a vast marsh. The herd was in the portion of the marsh that was to our left. We don't walk right down the dike but rather jump down and walk the base which isn't at a direct path to where we saw them but it should close some ground. We get halfway down and we are able to refind the big group. They have moved and are making their way out of the marsh and towards a section of woods. We do not see the big one but there are a couple of really good bucks. We break away from the dike and start heading through the marsh. Turns out with the drought, its actually pretty dry and easy to walk through. We get about 400 yards away from some of the group (at this point they were very broken up and strung out over a line probably over 300 yards long) and we notice that in the back is a doe being pushed by a buck and they are actually somewhat coming our way. Martine wants my wife to get setup and shoot this buck. Shooting sticks get setup for a standing shot and she tries to get comfortable on them to make a good shot. Martine is telling her 250m (he doesn't have a range finder) and then as the buck gets only a little bit closer, 150m. I'm telling her to ignore him because I'm getting 250 yards. Martine doesn't have a range finder and was just guessing - something that made me very glad I had brought mine. Erica is frustrated and she can't comfortable enough while standing on the sticks to make a shot. She tried to lower it and reposition while kneeling but in the process the buck spooks and she doesn't get a shot. I was actually pretty happy she didn't. I'm not quite sure why Martine was so insistent on shooting this buck. There were a few bucks in this group that were certainly bigger. He was a good 3x3 (Axis deer typically just have 3 points each side) but his top fork on one side was broken off and it wasn't a huge 3x3 main frame.

20230619_171213.jpg

20230619_171217.jpg

We continue forward as the main group was at the edge of the woods. We watch them as we go as they all make their way into the woods. I never do spot the monster buck but I would imagine he has to be in this group somewhere. We get to the edge of the woods and Martine makes some hand motions that make me think the plan is to skirt around the woods and setup to look at the other side. While we are skirting around the edge, Martine pops out around a section of thick cover and he immediately turns around and starts saying something in frustration. I'm pretty sure he is swearing based on the reaction. Turns out around that cover was a huge buck standing there looking at him. Neither my wife or I were able to see him. We do continue with the plan to skirt around and get to a spot where we can see the other side of this woods. We start glassing and only see a wild boar. Then a few moments later, we do start to see axis deer coming out at about 300 yards and there is a good buck. However, at this point its way too dark for a shot. I'm struggling through my good binoculars to see and I do grab the rifle from my wife to take a peak and I can't even make out a deer through that crappy scope. Martine is noticeably unhappy we don't want to shoot in the dark.

We head back to the truck and then back to the house without much said. We are able to translate some things through Santi about the events of the afternoon/evening. The blackbuck gets taken over to the skinning and meat shed and two guys are there ready to help. The skinning and butchering process is pretty much exactly the same and these guys sure do some quick work to get the blackbuck broken down and hung into the meat shed.

20230619_190426.jpg

We sit down and have Malanesa for supper which is really good. Followed up with Flan for dessert. Maybe the best dessert yet. My wife was exhausted, I think both mentally and physically (we did hike/stalk over 8 miles this day) so she decides she just wants to go take a shower and then head to bed after eating. I stick around and you can go back and read post number one for what we talked about.

Back to axis deer hunting for a full day tomorrow.

Not exactly a great video but you can see the Ostrich running in it. We probably saw over a 100 of them total and they are extremely spooky and apparently really hard to video as this is the best we ever got!

Are they rhea or did the ranch import actual ostriches?

Day 6 - No sería una cacería sin altibajos (It wouldn't be a hunt without ups and downs)

It's hard to get up early once again. Each night we are roughly getting 7ish hours of sleep which isn't bad but the long days, the hunting and the abundance of food are making us both sluggish. I think today we suggest a nap after the morning hunt and lunch.

We are headed back to the same area from the previous morning. Although we never saw a good buck, the local farmer that works that part of the ranch was insistent that they are there including two really big ones. Martine wasn't going to be joining us this morning as he needed to help with tracking a wounded water buffalo. There was a hunter that had left the lodge before we arrived the first day and the day prior to that he had wounded a water buffalo by shooting it in the ass. Not exactly sure how you miss that bad on a huge water buffalo but regardless, the skinners have been tracking this animal for days now and the night before they caught up with it and needed Martine to help as they were positive they were going to be able to get on it this morning.

On the drive over, we saw a possum and a skunk. Looked pretty much exactly the same as back home. I wasn't sure whether or not this was a good or a bad sign. At home, we always attribute seeing a skunk on the way to a hunting spot as a good omen because the "skunk is out of the bag".

We stop and the local farmer gets in and we head back to the same parking spot. Due to a different wind direction, we take a different route to walk about the island. We are also there today in the dark and have plans to skirt the outside of the island to start to see if we can catch any deer moving from the marsh into the woods.

We don't get to far along and we spook up a bunch of bucks and one looks good. Its pretty dark and Santi and Erica didn't even see or hear them, only I saw them. After that, we walked and glassed all the way to the other side of the island with only occasionally catching a glinpse of some does or hearing them spook. Santi certainly isn't as experienced at this still hunting as Martine is. His method is a little more like "walk fast, spook them up and hope to get a shot". We turn back in a route back towards the truck and we pop out near the edge and we are able to glass up 3 bucks leaving and into the marsh. We had spooked a bunch of ostrich and these deer were watching them and become spooked from them. One of these bucks is decent but too far and going away. He wasn't a monster worth attempting to chase through the marsh.

20230620_092128.jpg

20230620_095857.jpg

20230620_095910.jpg

About half way back, we spot a group with again a decent buck at 400 yards across a bay of the marsh and in the woods on the other side. We circle around this bay in the marsh and we are unable to respot them. We wait awhile hoping they will come through and never do. We start to walk forward and we go probably another 300 yards keeping along the edge of the marsh and catch a few does. I'm not entirely positive if it was part of the same group or not but the group of 6 had turned into about 20. There were numerous bucks, mostly spikers or small 2x2/3x3 but there was one pretty good buck. It was better than the buck from the evening before for sure. We notice that the group is going to be moving to the left and slightly away from us so my wife starts to get setup in anticipation of where they are headed. She sits down with the sticks setup very low and while she is still getting things just right, Santi starts whispering for her to shoot. He says it a few times, I also mention to her that he is at 160 yards, so aim just a pinch high and don't forget to aim a bit left. She shoots. I don't hear the thud of a bullet and I didn't see the buck react other than his instinctive duck. He runs off and we are able to watch him for quite a distance and it certainly appears to be a clean miss.

Here is my direct note I made at the end from recalling the events of that morning: "It's going to be a fun rest of the day with her being unhappy..."

Some say a relationship is truly tested when you have your first fight (been there, check)
Some say "" "" when you get a pet together (been there, check)
Some say "" "" when you have your first child (can't do that so I guess I won't truly know where this ranks)
Some say "" "" when one of you gets seriously hurt or sick (my wife had Cancer, check)

Let me tell you, the point when a relationship is truly tested is when your wife misses an animal. I'm sure just about all of you reading this thread have been there, missing a shot you shouldn't have. Whoever you were with I'm sure was not happy to be in your presence the rest of that day. Being the good spouse I am, I did what I could to try and help her move on from it but she was so upset, she told me when we got back that she was done, she was ready to leave, she wasn't going to hunt anymore and told me to just go out this afternoon alone and shoot her buck. The reality of the situation was it was just a pure miss. There was nothing to blame, she felt good, felt she knew where to aim, she said she was calm. We don't know if she just had a quick jerk while pulling the trigger or if the animal really did duck the shot or what. Sometimes you just miss, that's just part of hunting - no one is perfect. Thankfully it was a clean miss and missed him entirely unlike the hunter with the buffalo.

Speaking of the buffalo, when we get back, Martine is there and he tells us that he was able to stalk and get a shot on the buffalo finishing him. The skinners had just left with the tractor to go and retrieve it.

Lunch was much the same. Barbeque meats which included beef ribs and chorizo sausage today. We do decide to take a small nap afterwards as I think my wife really needed the reset. When we wake up after about a 30 minutes nap, my wife is still bumming and doesn't want to go. I do everything I can to convince her that she has to go, borderline annoying and just making her more upset but I win and she gets dressed and off we go.

20230620_121407.jpg

While Martine was tracking the buffalo this morning, he had spotted a group with a good buck in it in a different section of woods that we haven't been to yet. We head that way and then park the truck before the area and walk in. We don't get very far into the woods and at the first good sized clearing we spot two young bucks. We watched them for awhile as they go around us, completely unaware that we are there. They end up getting within 60 yards of us and after that experience, I can see that the spirits are lifted in my wife.

20230620_152403.jpg

20230620_154713.jpg

We continue forward and we sneak slowly through the thick brush in route to an area that we can do some glassing from. From there, we are able to spot deer in two spots, both about 400 yards away. We watch for awhile and move slowly towards both of them waiting to spot a buck. We never do and only see does in both of those groups. They are feeding in clearings on each side of this finger of woods that is maybe only 100-200 yards wide but as long as I can see. The plan is to sneak slowly through this woods in hopes of finding more deer or see better into either group for a good buck. The deer we had been watching were occasionally moving in and out of this finger woods. Slowly we go. Martine is so methodical as he moves. At times, he literally would take one step and glass. Then another step and glass. His method works because all of a sudden he motions that he can see a deer and sure shit, I can literally just make out a leg through the brush. I watch and then see an ear. This deer is over 100 yards away through the brush and you are looking through the binoculars picking tiny holes to catch slight movements. I actually see a horn moving, small buck. Martine and Erica continue to inch forward and I follow slowly behind. We get to a point where Martine must have felt we couldn't go anymore. We stop there and he gets the shooting sticks setup just in case. A few minutes go by and we watch the small buck and two does feed and mull around. I finally see another buck coming into this group, decent buck. Erica gets setup. By the time he gets into the other deer, he's only about 60 yards away, maybe less. I didn't even bother ranging as it was pretty close. Martine is whispering for her to shoot but I can hear her saying she can't because there is a doe in the way. She waits patiently and minutes pass by. Martine probably said "shoot" at least a dozen times. Martine is upset she isn't shooting, I can hear it in her voice. We wait. The buck leaves the area of a clear shot, Erica puts down gun and repositions a few feet over. She gets on him and says she is going to shoot. A bang rings out and the buck hits the deck. She hits him good and he is finished. I don't think I have to tell you about how my wife reacted after the events of the day, lets just say there were a few tears of joy.

20230620_165707.jpg

20230620_165712.jpg

20230620_165632.jpg

20230620_172054.jpg

20230620_172045.jpg

20230620_170441.jpg

When we got back to the lodge, we unload the axis buck at the skinning shed and find the buffalo is just being wrapped up. It took them all afternoon into the evening to take care of it. The were just washing the hide off. What a massive beast!

20230620_180714.jpg

20230620_180727.jpg

Supper was the blackbuck loins in some kind of creamy sauce. It was served over potatoes. This was by far the the best meal we had on this trip. I can't even really describe the sauce very well as I have no clue what it was. I tried to ask what it is called and what is in it and Martine says it is his special recipe, a family secret. Everyone enjoys the meat. It's very tender. That evening we had a lot of discussions with Martine and Luis about how tags and allocations work in the US, wild turkeys and about nuisance animals. I was very thankful we had Santi to help translate these conversations and I very much appreciated being able to have them.

20230620_202346.jpg

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back