Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

No chance to say goodbye

kwyeewyk

My father in law, Randy (not to be confused with Big Fin), is in the hospital coming to his final stages. Due to covid restrictions, they're only allowing limited visitation from immediate family, so I'm not going to be able to tell him goodbye. I guess timely to Memorial Day, Randy was a Vietnam veteran who is just now succumbing to the fight, after a long personal battle with nerve degeneration from Agent Orange exposure. Throughout his slow, painful struggle, I've never once heard him complain, the fact that you could even tell he was in pain was the most he'd allow, and even that he tried his hardest to hide. Like a true soldier, he just kept marching on, duty and honor first and only. The long march is over, Randy, it's time to rest. I hope you know how much I appreciate what you've given to me, beyond our freedom, you gave me my family, my beautiful wife--you're youngest daughter, and our beautiful kids, you gave me your wisdom and knowledge, for life and for butchering meat, you gave me your guns because you wanted to see them used and the kids to learn. I could never have asked for such a gift, but you gave it freely. I wish I could tell you thank you now, and I hope that you know that you will be remembered as the hero you are. RIP to all the soldiers, fallen on the battlefield and years later, your sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Yea Randy sounds like a real stud. God bless your whole family.
+1
f.png

Thoughts are with you, your family, and those friends associated with Randy.

I wish I could tell you thank you now, and I hope that you know that you will be remembered as the hero you are. RIP to all the soldiers, fallen on the battlefield and years later, your sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Amen.

Sorry to hear about your FIL. Randy sounds very similar to my wifes uncle, Lloyd. He's not to the point where he's hospitalized, but he's battling his cancer. He was a Korea veteran.

A salute to Randy and to his family who have supported him throughout this horrendous affliction which makes a battle casualty of him and others as surely as if they had taken a bullet. My cousin went the same way 49 years after leaving the war zone, slowly wasting away as a result of several incidents with that insidious chemical cocktail. So far I've been fairly fortunate only having experienced bladder cancer, but so many more are still fighting that war from hospital and rest home beds and who knows how long it will go on.

Today I'll say a prayer for his everlasting soul. RT

That is a gut punch I know how you feel. My FIL died of a heart attack by himself while out putting up a deer stand in 2016. Hang in there.

God Bless Randy, you and your family. Prayers for you being sent. And a Big Thank You for what he did for all of us, and what all serviceman and servicewomen have and are sacrificing.

Thanks to all for your support, fortunately he held on long enough for his brother and sister to make it to town, and got moved to a place where his wife could stay with him 24 hrs a day. He passed last night in peace. I did get a few minutes to talk to him a few days ago, told him how much I appreciated everything he had done for our family, but felt like I couldn't say too much, didn't want to start crying or embarrass him (picture Eric Foreman trying to tell Red he loves him), but sometimes the words really don't have to be spoken, we said it with our eyes. We'll miss you Randy, you were a great father and grandfather.

101501205_10158907987007216_1346866761516974080_n.jpg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back