Yeti GOBOX Collection

NM Zone 6B Valles Caldera National Preserve

salmonslyer

So I drew an elk tag in New Mexico for zone 6B which is the Valles Caldera National Preserve. I’m not sure what the odds were but I think there was only 1 or 2 nonresident non-guided tags available and only 20 tags issued in total for my late rifle hunt(Oct 22-26). I defiantly got really lucky. This was the first big game draw I’ve ever put in for and I’ve actually never hunted anything before, although I’ve fished a lot throughout my life. I have done some shooting though and have been researching/planning on doing some hunting for a couple years now. I live in California (bay area) and the plan was to try do to some pig and deer hunting first but it looks like I’m jumping right to elk. I’ve been reading everything I can and watching a lot of video’s online.

I’ve read that before the hunt there is an orientation and that the park staff are very helpful with answering questions and helping finding areas that hold elk and each hunter is assigned a specific zone within the preserve I think there are 15 zones? So about 500 acres to yourself or possible sharing with one other hunter and a herd of 3,000 elk occupying the entire reserve. I’m only allowed one guest on the hunt. I have a friend who’s willing to bring a couple horses so hopefully that works out.

I pretty much don’t have anything as far as elk hunting gear right now. I have a 25/06 rifle but I’m planning on picking up a 7mm rem mag in the very near future. Got to get a pack, binoculars, boots, and the whole deal. Camo necessary? Good thing I have 6 months to get ready.

There will be 4 bull hunts before mine with 40ES tags between 2 archery seasons, 15MB tags for a muzzleloader season, 15MB tags for the first rifle, than 20MB tags issued for the late rifle season in which I drew. I’ve read that the elk will still possibly bugle in the mornings and evenings even in late October but I think the elk will be in a post rut pattern

Needless to say I’m very excited for this hunt but also a little intimated, I want to be prepared to take advantage of this rare opportunity.

Any tips on finding big bulls?
How can I expect the elk to behave under these conditions?
There are 70 hunters with bull tags who get a chance before me with a herd of 3000 elk is that significant? How many mature bull elk are there in a heard that size?
If anyone has hunted this zone or has any info at all I’d be glad to hear it.

Last edited:
The Jurasic Park of elk. Great hunt.
Call the Caldera. Those are old tag rules.
I believe everyone hunts whole available hunt lands together now.

Dude.

You're going on one of the best elk hunts possible.

My advice would be to have your guest as someone with lots of experience elk hunting. There are a lot of people who would eagerly volunteer to tag along.

This is kind of like someone who has never watched a game of football going to the Super Bowl.

WOW! Very lucky draw! Hank is right the rules have changed some. That is a great hunt. I have tagged along on a couple archery hunts there. Biggest change is the vehicle access. Pm me for more info.

Thanks for the congratulations. I couldn't believe it and still have trouble believing it. I log on the New Mexico Game and fish website to double check and I get nervous thinking something is going to change but nope it’s really happening.

I've been telling my friends I'm going to the "The Jurassic Park of elk" and "This is kind of like someone who has never watched a game of football going to the Super Bowl"
Thanks for offering some advice Brando I’ll send ya a PM
I called the preserve to confirm hank4elk is right there are no more assigned zones

I'm only allowed 1 guest and he committed to going even before I drew (he was supposed to put in with me) plus he has horses. Neither of us have any hunting experience but were both willing to put in a lot of work. I’m going to put a lot of effort into preparing for this. I’ve been watching so much Randy Newberg my girlfriend has seen every episode and I’ve been reading anything I can get my hands of related to elk hunting. It does make me pretty nervous that neither of us have any experience, I keep having this vision we see this great elk and we blow the stalk or we don't see any elk at all. When my friend and I first started talking about elk hunting. The plan was more we will just go camping on horses, bring elk tags and rifles and if we so happen to see an elk that would be amazing. Now with drawing a zone of this quality the pressure is kind of on to be successful. If anyone has any suggestions on how to hunt this area I’m all ears

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildfan99
Back