NM Muzzloader Rules 2023

I like it, but I am a traditional muzzle loader guy. I would go further, allowing anything goes in "any rifle" season, but only allowing patched round ball, side-lock, open sight rifles - not quite as far as PA's rules (flinters only), but allowing muzzleloaders that deserve a separate season.

David
NM

I got my inline with a scope to hunt elk in NM 25+ years ago. I get to use it for mule deer this year here.
Maybe I'll use it for my AW(any weapon) cow tag too...200 yards tops guy here.

The 1500 yard guys will join the 200+ yard bow shot guys just the same. IMHO

I think this has been a long time coming. Unfortunately its much easier to get people to conform their rifles to the law than it is to conform their ethics to their rifles. Itll probably take a few years of people gut shooting elk at 200 yards to see a major change, but long term this will be good for new mexico.

Short term this will be bad for me because now I have to buy new sights and more powder and bullets to practice with them.

Itll probably take a few years of people gut shooting elk at 200 yards to see a major change, but long term this will be good for new mexico.
I was a bit puzzled because the NMGF Head Biologist suggested this change would result in fewer wounded animals because the animal may not show any indication they've been hit from the long distance ML shots. My first thought was that the rate of wounded animals might go up or remain unchanged when you have people with open sights still trying to shoot too far.

Kinda sucks for guys that already have a muzz set up and no iron sites. There was some sold with scopes and no irons. I have 2 guns, one set up each way

I was a bit puzzled because the NMGF Head Biologist suggested this change would result in fewer wounded animals because the animal may not show any indication they've been hit from the long distance ML shots. My first thought was that the rate of wounded animals might go up or remain unchanged when you have people with open sights still trying to shoot too far.
Most hunters without rangefinders will overestimate distance, and I think that will be exaggerated with iron sights. I think the 200+ yard shots with a 100 yard rifle will decline pretty quick. But my bias is traditional, so YMMV.

I really wish all the states across the west would get on the same page with their rules.

I hope a lot of you who are OK with scopes being taken away don't cry too much when restrictions are placed on your favorite hunts. This fudd mentality where we keep giving away and giving away will eventually be the death of hunting.
Who would have guessed the nail in the coffin was going to be un-scoped muzzleloaders. Powerball odds for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back