NM indian reservation

sep0667

Do the Indian reservations have different season dates than the rest of the state? Someone at work is showing me a picture of a big bull that they say was shot today on an indian reservation in NM. Hunter is poised with a rifle. I see archery is open now?

I do believe that they have their own Game agencies and seasons. Which tribe? Jicarilla or Acoma?

Usually, the premium rifle rut hunts are not only a pile of cash but tend to require hiring a local guide and you have a multi-year wait for your hunt. I looked at reservation hunts for elk, mule deer and Coues deer plus bison around the West. Coues and bison were reasonable compared to getting access to private land with a public tag where would encounter plenty of mature critters and low hunting pressure. Elk, mule deer and sheep were a much bigger pile of cash. You can't take it with you so if you want to hunt in the rut as chase free range critters which may easily dwarf the size of your previous harvests then the reservation game is worth considering.

Thanks for the replies folks. I wasn't sure, but that's what I suspected. Must have some deep pockets.

How much does a typical hunt on a reservation in NM go for? This big elk was taken 9/1 with a rifle.

Thanks for the replies folks. I wasn't sure, but that's what I suspected. Must have some deep pockets.

How much does a typical hunt on a reservation in NM go for? This big elk was taken 9/1 with a rifle.
$10k and up for a rut rifle hunt, sometimes waaaaay up.

25k and up for the res hunts, last time I checked. 10k is the cost of just an average outfitted hunt around Chama, the Gila and the Sacs.

Back