NM Bill Would Make It A Crime To Teach Kids To Shoot

(3) "direct control" means a firearm within an arm's length of the firearm's owner or other authorized person;

Yeah, but how subjective could that be??? Talk about creating a he said/she said nightmare...are LEOs going to measure that person's arm to enforce or what? Can't wait to see how that would go in court. It's a little too gray-area for me...

Yeah, but how subjective could that be??? Talk about creating a he said/she said nightmare...are LEOs going to measure that person's arm to enforce or what? Can't wait to see how that would go in court. It's a little too gray-area for me...
I was just pointing out the click bait of the original article.

MA has a similar law, which says direct control, direct control is never defined (as far as I could determine) leaving the whole thing vague.

I think Minnesota and a couple other states have similar storage laws, I'm sure you could look to those states to see how law enforcement has chosen to implement the law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per capita? Sane amount of guns per capita here and canada? Serious questions.

Based on some Wikikungfu, the USA has 3.5x more firearms per capita than Canada (per 100,000: 120.5 Vs 34.7).

For 100,000 people:

Canada (2018 stats): 1.94 total firearms related deaths, 0.72 homicide, 1.48 suicides, 0.0 unintentional
USA (2017 stats): 12.21 total firearms related deaths, 4.46 homicides, 7.36 suicides, 0.15 unintentional

Canada has roughly 37 million habitants at 0.0 unintentional deaths per 100,000 = 0 for the year 2018
USA has 328 million habitants at 0.15 unintentional deaths per 100,000 = 492 for the year 2017

Again, I don't want to come off as an ass, just stating facts, our storage laws do work. The rest of our gun laws suck. You'll hear about hunting related deaths from time to time and very rarely will you hear about a kid shooting himself by accident. Also, an unlicensed person can only use a firearms within arms reach/direct supervision of a licensed individual. No dropping your 12yo at his stand and going on your hunt, no shooting from a separate bench at the range, etc.

As with many things these days, local LEOs in many parts of the state likely won't enforce it at all. Most of our Sheriffs have made it clear to the folks in Santa Fe that they will not enforce any new gun control legislation.

That law already exists in some places. Vermont's mentored hunter program requires that I be within arms reach of my son when hunting.

A couple of members have inquired and I will respond by saying the following is, VERY basic and not all inclusive

First Nation individuals hunting on First Nation Territory do not need a hunting license and the children are not subject to the laws and requirements of hunting off our land.

We can hunt anything, on our land, except Elk and Bison without a license.

If hunting outside our land, children 11 and younger can obtain a small game license without taking a hunting course.

12 to 15 can get a big and small game license but if hunting outside our territory, they must take a "Hunter" safety course and must hunt with someone 19 or older. ( the Hunting course is geared toward how to identify legal to hunt animals, where to place your shot, etc-- than firearm safety )

At 16 and again if not hunting within our territory, they will need a license and need to take a hunter s course, but can hunt alone.

The " Territories" have--by far--the most registered firearms per capita, the The Yukon far out pacing the others. N.W. is 2nd and Nunavut is 4th

Sadly, most deaths of those under 15 by firearms are suicude and then homicide. Firearm accidents by children in The Territories are almost non existent, but do happen.

Most here have hunted something at 5 to 6 years of age

Sadly, most deaths of those under 15 by firearms are suicude and then homicide. Firearm accidents by children in The Territories are almost non existent, but do happen.

This is extremely sad, I've heard many EMT friends talk about how one homicide or suicide on a res can spread like wild fire and trigger others to commit suicide. I can't believe that Canada, in 2021, still has these issues on res or small isolated communities. (Don't get me started on the clean water issue...)

This is extremely sad, I've heard many EMT friends talk about how one homicide or suicide on a res can spread like wild fire and trigger others to commit suicide. I can't believe that Canada, in 2021, still has these issues on res or small isolated communities. (Don't get me started on the clean water issue...)
thank you.

Suicides : I spend as much time as possible with young people, especially young females. As sad as it is, the abuse they see inflicted on their mothers ( and even on themselves at times ) takes a toll on them. Sexism, Racism, Alcoholism, Physical and mental abuse is still a big problem in most communities unfortunately. I try to get them out into the mountains and streams as much as possible, so as to provide a positive environment for them and try to eliminate the "poor me " syndrome . It is hard to have a poor me feeling when barbecuing moose over a camp fire in the mountains :)

Yeah, the water situation is an entirely different thread :(

Back to the thread : Wishing those in New Mexico the best is all I can do, as I have no knowledge of the laws and customs there. I only responded initially because I was ask what our laws are regarding firearms/children/hunting. The one thing that seems odd to me, but I may have it wrong. It seems your having others teach your child about the firearm , as our required classes for the young folks are designed to teach the children about hunting.

Times have certainly changed regarding gun storage. When I was a kid during the ‘60s, my father, uncles, and family friends all stored their firearms in unlocked glassed display cabinets. When I was in High School during the mid ‘70s, every farm boy pickup parked at school had a back window gun rack with shotguns and rifles in it.

You guys have no idea of gun control until you live in my country:(

Firearms and Young People​

The Firearms License law lays down age limits, which vary for different types of firearms and ammunition.

Air guns​

• 18 years of age is the minimum age for the possession of an air weapon.

Exceptions​

• People under the age of 18 may possess an air weapon so long as they are supervised by a person over the age of 21. Where the air weapon is being fired under supervision on premises, this exemption will only apply so long as no missile is fired which goes beyond the boundary of those premises.
  • People under the age of 18 may also possess an air weapon whilst engaged in activities connected with target practice as a member of an approved rifle club or miniature rifle club or whilst using the air weapon at a shooting gallery.
  • People between 14 and 18 years of age may possess an air weapon on private premises where they have the consent of the occupier to have an air weapon with them. This will only apply so long as no missile is fired which goes beyond the boundary of those private premises.
  • For people less than 18 years of age it is an offence to sell air weapons or air weapon ammunition to a person under the age of 18.
Shotguns
  • People less than 15 years of age may be granted a shotgun certificate and may borrow a shotgun under supervision of a person who is over the age of 21. The young person may not acquire a shotgun unless supervised. The young person will require a shotgun certificate unless the gun they are borrowing belongs to an occupier of the land on which they are shooting and that occupier is the supervisor.
  • People over 15 years of age may be given or borrow shotguns and be granted a shotgun certificate.
  • People over 18 years of age may purchase shotguns and shotgun cartridges with a shotgun certificate.

Section 1 Firearms​

• People less than 14 years of age may not be granted a firearm certificate.
  • People between 14 and 18 years of age may be granted a firearm certificate but may not purchase or hire a firearm or ammunition until they are 18 years of age. They may borrow or be gifted a firearm and ammunition if they possess the appropriate certificate.
Now that is for kids, don't forget we can't posses handguns anymore.

Storage, we have to store our firearms in a locked 'approved' metal cabinet bolted to the wall, the police can, and do inspect our security.

No hunter education courses are compulsory, but some police forces request (it's not law) that the new applicant for a rifle licence do a recognised course provided by shooting organisations.

My personal view is when not in use the rifles/shotguns should be locked away, I even keep my bolts separate, if I get burgled they can't use the rifles.

Automatic rifles were banned in the UK after the Hungerford shooting, then handguns after the Dunblane shooting, just to add, if the police had done their work like they should have the lunatics that did those shootings would never had access to firearms, they would have been confiscated.

They will keep chipping away in the US, fight it as much as you can, at the end of the day, the only people in the UK with handguns/automatic weapons are the criminals, gun control really worked:(

You guys have no idea of gun control until you live in my country:(

Firearms and Young People​

The Firearms License law lays down age limits, which vary for different types of firearms and ammunition.

Air guns​

• 18 years of age is the minimum age for the possession of an air weapon.

Exceptions​

• People under the age of 18 may possess an air weapon so long as they are supervised by a person over the age of 21. Where the air weapon is being fired under supervision on premises, this exemption will only apply so long as no missile is fired which goes beyond the boundary of those premises.
  • People under the age of 18 may also possess an air weapon whilst engaged in activities connected with target practice as a member of an approved rifle club or miniature rifle club or whilst using the air weapon at a shooting gallery.
  • People between 14 and 18 years of age may possess an air weapon on private premises where they have the consent of the occupier to have an air weapon with them. This will only apply so long as no missile is fired which goes beyond the boundary of those private premises.
  • For people less than 18 years of age it is an offence to sell air weapons or air weapon ammunition to a person under the age of 18.
Shotguns
  • People less than 15 years of age may be granted a shotgun certificate and may borrow a shotgun under supervision of a person who is over the age of 21. The young person may not acquire a shotgun unless supervised. The young person will require a shotgun certificate unless the gun they are borrowing belongs to an occupier of the land on which they are shooting and that occupier is the supervisor.
  • People over 15 years of age may be given or borrow shotguns and be granted a shotgun certificate.
  • People over 18 years of age may purchase shotguns and shotgun cartridges with a shotgun certificate.

Section 1 Firearms​

• People less than 14 years of age may not be granted a firearm certificate.
  • People between 14 and 18 years of age may be granted a firearm certificate but may not purchase or hire a firearm or ammunition until they are 18 years of age. They may borrow or be gifted a firearm and ammunition if they possess the appropriate certificate.
Now that is for kids, don't forget we can't posses handguns anymore.

Storage, we have to store our firearms in a locked 'approved' metal cabinet bolted to the wall, the police can, and do inspect our security.

No hunter education courses are compulsory, but some police forces request (it's not law) that the new applicant for a rifle licence do a recognised course provided by shooting organisations.

My personal view is when not in use the rifles/shotguns should be locked away, I even keep my bolts separate, if I get burgled they can't use the rifles.

Automatic rifles were banned in the UK after the Hungerford shooting, then handguns after the Dunblane shooting, just to add, if the police had done their work like they should have the lunatics that did those shootings would never had access to firearms, they would have been confiscated.

They will keep chipping away in the US, fight it as much as you can, at the end of the day, the only people in the UK with handguns/automatic weapons are the criminals, gun control really worked:(
Not to mention the UK has had firearm licensing laws and restrictions since the early 1800s

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacolleen
Back