NM Bass/Walleye limit

jrabq

Normally May is the best month in New Mexico for the type of fishing I like to do, but it was mostly mediocre this year. Perhaps it was the cooler weather, or extended runoff, but early to mid-June was actually much better for me, here's a pic from last week where I got the bass & walleye limit throwing crankbaits in 2-10 ft of water. Actually caught 3 of the bass on top-water, which is always fun. Nothing real big, but 3 walleyes in ~18" range, culled one bass and one walleye. Bass lost their colors in the ice chest on the ride home, the top bass is actually a largemouth, other 4 are smallies.

SR June 17 2019 A.jpg

Maybe camera view though the walleye appear a bit thin or that typical?
Dig smallie fishing!
Grats on the catch. Hard to beat top water action!

Maybe camera view though the walleye appear a bit thin or that typical?

The walleye in this lake are a bit skinny this year. 2 weeks ago I caught a 22"-er that only weighed 3-1/4 lbs, that would normally be a 3.5-4 lb fish. I think the fish forage base has been sparse recently, the walleye are mostly eating crawfish, if/when I find anything in their gut. Not sure why, but the lake level has fluctuated a lot (over 20 feet) in the past couple of years. The bass are also always full of crawfish, which probably explains why the crawdad colored bomber is usually the "go-to" lure.

In any case, a skinny walleye tastes better than no walleye. :)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back