Nikon Prostaff on a 300 win mag question

TNHUNTER

Buddy of mine has a Nikon Prostaff mounted on a 300 win mag but not able to consistently sight it in. I am under the impression this is too much gun for that scope. Am I incorrect? I don't want to tell him to replace it without knowing I'm correct but don't have any experience with that particular scope. Thoughts??

I've had a a few of those in the past and had mostly good luck with them. One even held up on a 338win. Does it happen to be a Savage rifle that came as a package with that scope mounted? If so, I've seen several of those with loose bases and rings over years. That was usually the problem 9/10 times. Might be worth checking before replacing.

Buddy of mine has a Nikon Prostaff mounted on a 300 win mag but not able to consistently sight it in. I am under the impression this is too much gun for that scope. Am I incorrect? I don't want to tell him to replace it without knowing I'm correct but don't have any experience with that particular scope. Thoughts??
I had a prostaff on a 300wsm never had an issue with holding zero.

I think he bought separately but sounded like he was chasing the bullet all over. I've not seen the set up myself (yet). Could be loose. Can't imagine the barrel heating would cause that. Probably retighten everything and go with him next time to see what it does...

Last I heard Nikon was still offering a limited warranty on recently purchased scopes before the stopped making them but it sounded like a hassle. Lots of decent upgrades out there if it is a bad scope.

I have that very scope on a 338 win mag right now with no issues, maybe not my first choice if money were not an issue but haven't had a problem yet

I had one on a 300 H&H, zero problems. That doesn't mean that particular scope isn't bad though.

After double checking/upgrading the rings I would also recommend him to purchase the limbsaver airtech recoil pad. I don't care how big your ego is that thing makes a world of difference and WILL improve your accuracy. The company advertises reducing recoil up to 70% and I wouldn't disagree with that one bit.

I have that scope on my 300 wm and on my 50 cal muzzleloader. Zero issues for me. I had the bullet chasing issue several years back with a different scope. Turned out the scope mounts were loose.

Same as others, I have used pro staffs on slug guns and muzzleloaders with no issues. I had a similar issue on a savage 7mm-08 with a factory mounted prostaff, I changed the rings and bases and it shot great.

After double checking/upgrading the rings I would also recommend him to purchase the limbsaver airtech recoil pad. I don't care how big your ego is that thing makes a world of difference and WILL improve your accuracy. The company advertises reducing recoil up to 70% and I wouldn't disagree with that one bit.
Always possible that it's too much gun for the shooter.

I used Nikon scopes exclusively until switching to Leupold after Nikon stopped production. I called Nikon about any future warranty claims and was told that the lifetime warranty would still be honored on all scopes. I’ve got s .300 Win TC Encore barrel and have had no issues with the Prostaff 4X12 holding zero. Nikon made was some very good optics in my opinion. I’m guessing your friend’s issues are either the mounts or his shooting.

Is your buddy fairly familiar and comfortable with rifles and sighting them in?

I used to work at range and I was always amazed at how many frustrated guys there where sighting in their guns. Convinced they had bad guns, or scopes, or ammo. After observing a few, I couldn’t believe how quickly they were shooting. Even after just 3 rounds on a hot day, a hunting weight barrel on a 300WM can be too hot to hold. That can make it real hard to sight in.

I was also amazed how many setups had improperly torqued rings and/or bases.

Lastly to echo what others have said, if he’s not in a lead sled or similar, after a handful of 300WM rounds, most guys aren’t shooting great groups. One of my buddies was having a hard time and was convinced he Weatherby was only capable of 3-4in groups. I loaded an empty for him and when he pulled the trigger he jumped so bad that you’d thought it was a live round.

Be shot 3/4in group his first group in a lead sled.

It could be the scope, but it could and is likely a lot of other things. I’ve sighted in probably 50 scopes in my life ranging from $5 at a garage sale to $1,000 and I’ve never had one I couldn’t get zeroed.

Great points and appreciate the feedback for sure. I've not shot with him so not even seen the gun myself. We'll check rings/mount first and see how he does. I do have a lead sled and will use to get on paper. He did say he fires once and chases the bullet only to have it hit way off the next time. I'm guessing the mount(s) and lack of experience. Hopefully we can get him where he needs to be. I do have an extra Vortex I may mount just to see what happens...

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back