NightForce SHV w/ MOAR Reticle

LandDiver

WOW! Had the pleasure of shooting a rifle with this scope mounted on it and it was crystal clear even on max magnification. Scope was 5-20x56. He had another scope which was a Huskemaw 5x20, but to me it was no contest which scope was clearer. Even though that rifle shot 850 yards no question and hit. Not by me.

Has anybody compared a NightForce to a Vortex Viper PST, or even the Vortex Razor?

I've had the chance to shoot those three quite a bit, but the PST was their first generation and I've used both Gen 1 and Gen 2 Razors. There are lots of things that come into play picking between all scopes; reticle style, eye relief, feel of the turrets, weight, price, etc. The value/importance of those things changes from person to person. I felt the SHV's eye relief was a bit short, glass is very good. The Razor is a great scope, but it's heavy. I shot a Leupold Mark 6 that was more compact and lighter than the Razor, but I preferred the Razor reticle and turrets. I'd like to play around with a Nightforce ATACR, but have never used one. In the end the last scope I bought was the Gen 2 Razor and I love that scope. The following link might be of interest.
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/03/03/long-range-scopes-pros-use/

I've had the chance to shoot those three quite a bit, but the PST was their first generation and I've used both Gen 1 and Gen 2 Razors. There are lots of things that come into play picking between all scopes; reticle style, eye relief, feel of the turrets, weight, price, etc. The value/importance of those things changes from person to person. I felt the SHV's eye relief was a bit short, glass is very good. The Razor is a great scope, but it's heavy. I shot a Leupold Mark 6 that was more compact and lighter than the Razor, but I preferred the Razor reticle and turrets. I'd like to play around with a Nightforce ATACR, but have never used one. In the end the last scope I bought was the Gen 2 Razor and I love that scope. The following link might be of interest.
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/03/03/long-range-scopes-pros-use/

Thank you. I will read up now.

Most of the scopes in that link are on the spendy to down-right-crazy expensive side, but for a very good scope you could get something in the Vortex Viper or Leupold VX3 lines and be just fine. When you get serious about buying something, check out Predator Optics (schmalts here on Hunt Talk), he's always worth a look. A Leupold VX3 with the CDS dial is a good hunting scope and if you want to twist turrets and stretch out your distances on the range it'll do it.

Imo you can't go wrong with the nightforce. I Have the nxs and love it. I had purchased a vortex for a cheaper rifle build I was working on, I mounted the scope and went to the range, went home took the scope off and took it back to the store and ponied up another $400 for the shv.

Back