NH Moose

Pretty good info on the website, also check into access laws, get your cow calling down. High density moose area. Learn how to quarter something of you don't already know how.

I drew a tag a few years back but not in A2 , rained almost the entire hunt, saw a few bulls and ended up shooting one with the bow not a monster but a nice bull that was in a easy place to pack him out from and i was solo so decided to take him.

its a fun hunt and A2 is said to be much better than where i hunted,

That's one of the better units in the State. That being said, the population has plummeted across New England over the last 10-20 years and the hunt isn't what it used to be. Could be a great hunt w/only 8 permits or it could be very challenging with the declining #'s

Apparently I got lucky and drew a NH moose tag (A2) for this fall. Anyone ever hunted out there? I figured it was just a donation to their DNR. Any help is appreciated, I've never stepped foot in NH before. LOL
Ben, you are very lucky. I have a camp in the heart of this zone and I have an obsession with moose beyond most anyone. You will likely have a couple guide services reaching out to you soon (if not already). The moose in this region have been hit hard by winter tick but there is still a robust population. It is beautiful country and there are some very respectable moose. Please reach out with any questions, I'd be happy to answer questions. There are some giant moose here, especially in A2, Theodore Roosevelt actually has the state record (235").

Ben, you are very lucky. I have a camp in the heart of this zone and I have an obsession with moose beyond most anyone. You will likely have a couple guide services reaching out to you soon (if not already). The moose in this region have been hit hard by winter tick but there is still a robust population. It is beautiful country and there are some very respectable moose. Please reach out with any questions, I'd be happy to answer questions. There are some giant moose here, especially in A2, Theodore Roosevelt actually has the state record (235").
Great! I’ll shoot you a PM.

Soak up any local knowledge you can (nice gesture DR to offer your intel) and consider the investment in a guide to boost your success. I have hunted Maine twice and Vermont once and we filled two of three tags, one a cow with the guide and my bull with my uncle leading our DIY hunt. As others have said, the moose population throughout New England has dropped and tags/opportunities have declined noticeably in last 20 years especially in VT and NH.

Still, you have a highly sought after tag in the heart of great moose country. Have an enjoyable hunt and seeing that landscape during the best time of the year. If you want to attempt a DIY adventure, get yourself there several days before the season starts to scout, talk to the locals, find recently logged areas, and knock off a few pa'tridge for camp meat. That is a special tag so shoot the one you want when you see it.

Northern NH is fairly remote and somewhat light on visitor amenities. Much of the land is actively managed for timber production so don't expect to see strip malls and amusement parks.

Much of the hard work is over since you have the tag. You ought to have a blast.

That’s awesome. I had a Maine tag last year. My biggest advice is the glass cuts where they harvested timber in the past few years. Certain cuts get hammered by moose morning and evenings. If you find a hot cut you’ll see plenty

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back