Newfoundland Moose

tim629

I know it isn't self guided but economical and "easy" for those of us on the east coast:

who has done a newfoundland moose hunt any pointers you wish to share or outfitter suggestions?

right now looking at Riverrun outfitting, probably fly up and ship the meat back since dad doesn't seem keen on taking a few days to drive and it will require some convincing of my wife to let me take a week in october to hunt since we usually take our vacation with the horses in september/october

I'm signed up with Roberts Outfitters this year . I will probably drive from South Florida , try to get my wife to fly up and meet me there .
I can take the Amtrak Ride Share train to DC , then drive from there .

Last edited:
Northwest Gander was a good outfit for me in 2019 and @deer_shooter in 2023. If I did it again, I'd drive instead of fly. I'd also try and go peak rut as opposed to early in the season. Lastly, I'd have had a better meat processor work on it or have butchered it myself.

Northwest Gander was a good outfit for me in 2019 and @deer_shooter in 2023. If I did it again, I'd drive instead of fly. I'd also try and go peak rut as opposed to early in the season. Lastly, I'd have had a better meat processor work on it or have butchered it myself.
Who did you have process it?

Who did you have process it?
The outfitter used a butcher shop in town to cut up critters for clients that are flying home and shipping the meat. Couldn't tell you the name of the place or if that's who they still use now.

It was untrimmed and in huge cuts. I think they just ran all four quarters through the band saw. However, it was clean, vac-sealed, and frozen so it wasn't all bad. Just took a lot of knife work after thawing out each package.

Last edited:
NL moose are really on the small side. My boss lives there and we compare moose from NL and moose me and my family have killed here in Maine. They kill a ton on spikes to 6 pt in NL. A good friend of mine went there on a hunt this last fall and hardly saw a track. Its hunting I know but don't expect anything decent.

NL moose are really on the small side. My boss lives there and we compare moose from NL and moose me and my family have killed here in Maine. They kill a ton on spikes to 6 pt in NL. A good friend of mine went there on a hunt this last fall and hardly saw a track. Its hunting I know but don't expect anything decent.
Hmmm , they advertise almost a 95% success rate , almost every outfitter there . Was your friend road hunting ?
We all know what we got our self signed up for , at least I do anyway , but nice first post , thank you .

Common from a road based hunt. I had just the opposite experience on a fly in hunt. All of the bulls taken were 40-50 inches and mature animals. Actually saw a giant and couldn't get on him in time. Newfoundland is an outstanding opportunity to chase moose with lots of animals. Some giant black bear as well.

I have bowhunted NL for moose five times and Caribou once. My bulls are, 40,37 and 42. My caribou scored well in P&Y. My father is three for three on Moose with a 38 and 40.
A bull with paddles is totally doable.

My suggestion is go to outfitter that has fly in areas as you will have a lot less pressure.
It’s any easy drive for me and usually plan on a hunt every other year however the outfitter I prefer is booked three years out. I will be back up in 26.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back