MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Newest Deer Whacker

What barrel did you go with?
I forgot that part. It is a Criterion. That is the only kind of barrel that I will use. I have five now. Two Creeds, two .260s, and one 7 mag. They shoot everything that I put through them and the velocities are good.
The ring nuts are on opposite sides, because the scope was on a left-hand rifle, originally. I mounted it, leaving the front intact, because the scope was already leveled. I switched the back one, so that I would not have a conflict with the bolt. I figured that I had better explain that, as someone will notice.:):whistle:

Is that the old-version factory ADL Synthetic stock I see? I have several of those and I love them even though they are probably the cheapest thing out there. They look good with the stainless barrel.

Very nice. The CBI barrels I’ve been around all shoot pretty well. Their contours are a bit heavy but not to bad either.

Started a bit of load development. After free-floating the barrel and doing a bit of adjustment on the trigger, this is the last three shots that I had loaded up on the first test load. The dot is one inch. Shot at 100 yards. I think it will shoot!949F0C9F-878C-4CB2-AB72-1FE71BE7FC7E.jpeg

I don’t need no expensive bullets! 129 Interlocks. One of the best groups my old eyes have shot in awhile. It is 100 yards, but even with me shooting, it kept 1/4-1/2 moa at 200. Now to find some does this fall!

Attachments

• DE3D6A02-A015-4F28-BEF3-79FA5CA5A9B7.jpeg
    DE3D6A02-A015-4F28-BEF3-79FA5CA5A9B7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
I shot a Manbun once.
Then had to wash my hands.. :D:

I'll stick to the .257 & .284 diameter bullets.
You never shot it very much, then. I have two fantastic 7 mags, a .308, an -06 and I nearly always grab my .260s and Creeds, now. Never had any use for a pukey .257 bullet. 😁

It's all in jest.
I get messed with being "high & tight" for shooting 7mm's.
Not too awful many years ago the latest fad was the 338LM.
Now seems to be headed towards 6.5PRC.
It is what it is.
And i did say i liked sbhooper's gun.
Still do.
Just misled on the header. Lol

Nice rifle. The Creed is easy for the gun snobs to pick on, but it’s a great little cartridge.

Last edited:
About 2 weeks ago I was in a local Fleet n Farm store and without even trying I found 3 left hand Savage Axis rifles; 1 in .243 Win for $320, 1 in a manbun for $320 and a 3rd in .270 Win for $280 on clearance.

If you can find some RL26 try it, I get 240fps over h4350. A 140g 6.5 bullet at 2950fps is a killer no mater what it comes out of.
I really like Reloder 26. I bought eight pounds of it, before it got stupid rare. I use it exclusively for the 147 ELDM. 46 grains gets me 2745 and superb accuracy. I had it up over 2800, but backed it off and this is a great load. The 147 whacks deer and steel with authority, even though it is a TARGET bullet. I had my 140 Interlocks just below 2900, when I did a test. This newest rifle really likes H4831sc, as you can see by the last pic. It is only 2712, but will kill at the ranges I shoot my milk cows-or, uh, muley does-at. 😁

The Creed does real well with the long bullets, as it is easier to fit the magazine, than with my .260. With the 260, I shot some 147 ELDM at 2850 or so. The loads were real compressed with those long bullets, though, getting them in the 2.8-inch mag length. My go-to for the .260, was a load of Reloder 17, that got the 129 Interlock over 3000. I backed it off a bit, because the second rifle that I had built, did not like that hot load during the summer depredation work. In the cool temps, though, 43.3 grains of Reloder 17 is a winner with both rifles. I have shot a bunch of deer with that rifle/load out to 430 yards with no issues.

I tested three different powders, with this new rifle and all had potential, with a bit of tweaking. The H4831sc load was a winner right out of the box and so that is my go-to for this rifle-unless something else hits me. I might try some Reloder 26, with the 129s at some point, but more for curiosity than anything. If I was to hunt elk with any of these rifles, the game would change and I would be playing with the 140 Interlock, Partition, Accubomb, or the Barnes 127 LRX. I doubt that will happen, though, as I am pretty well done hunting elk and I have two great 7 mags that hammer elk with authority, so could never really see a need to kill an elk with a Creed-although I would not feel under-gunned doing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back