PEAX Equipment

Newest build.

Nice shooting. I have two Mesa stocks. One long action and one short action stock I like them for my hunting rifles.

Newest build I’ll be playing with. 7mm Sherman max built on a tikka action, Mesa arms precision stock, 20” x-caliber 8 twist, with banish 30 suppressor screwed on the end. Now to decide on what scope to put on top. Need to find a vx5hd in stock somewhere
View attachment 210128

How did I miss this! Congrats buddy on another great build! Is it for sale yet?🤣
Looks like it’s showing some potential also.
How do you like the stock vs a McMillan?

How did I miss this! Congrats buddy on another great build! Is it for sale yet?🤣
Looks like it’s showing some potential also.
How do you like the stock vs a McMillan?
I like the stock a lot. Got some 155 hammers showing up sometime I’ll try in it sometime. Still haven’t decided what scope I’m going to keep on it though.

I like the stock a lot. Got some 155 hammers showing up sometime I’ll try in it sometime. Still haven’t decided what scope I’m going to keep on it though.
What scope options are being considered?

168s going 2976fps and 180s 2869fps with h1000
When you are shooting a new cartridge, barrel, brass, powder ect, how do you like to go about that? Do you do barrel break in at all or just go right into development?

Seems like people are in the camp of no break in or follow some sort of shoot/clean procedure. The carbon 6 barrel I'm getting has a specific break in so I suppose I'll follow that, but wondering if I can also work up a load at the same time to at least get an idea on velocity or if I should just load up minimum charges, do the break in and then work up loads?

Just don't want to really be wasting components if I don't have to.

but wondering if I can also work up a load at the same time to at least get an idea on velocity or if I should just load up minimum charges, do the break in and then work up loads?

There’s plenty of people around here that know way more about it than I do, I’m sure they will comment shortly, but in the mean time…

My latest trip into barrel break-in, I did it with the cheapest loads I could put together, and even so, still picked up 75 fps by the end of 50 rounds. I’m not sure if your accuracy nodes would change as well, but velocity nodes definitely will change.

I’m gonna wait to do my major load development until my velocity stabilizes.

When you are shooting a new cartridge, barrel, brass, powder ect, how do you like to go about that? Do you do barrel break in at all or just go right into development?

Seems like people are in the camp of no break in or follow some sort of shoot/clean procedure. The carbon 6 barrel I'm getting has a specific break in so I suppose I'll follow that, but wondering if I can also work up a load at the same time to at least get an idea on velocity or if I should just load up minimum charges, do the break in and then work up loads?

I’ve noticed most custom barrels tend to speed up and settle in between 60-100 rounds.
You can still do some load development and at least get some data collected while doing this. I usually shoot a ladder test and choose my node and then test some seating depths and then load up a bunch of rounds to validate drops and get the barrel to settle. Once it speeds up I will go back and fine tune the powder to get it back into the velocity node and accuracy is usually right in line then also.
As far as the actual barrel break in I will load 5-10 rounds and shoot and clean for the first 5 while getting my scope zeroed then shoot a group before starting in on a ladder test.

Nice choice in cartridge @brockel! Here's my 7 max. Tikka action, 22" bartlein #3 with a custom flare at the end to meet suppressor requirements, factory stock that was shaved to fit, added the Tikka vertical grip, and a custom high dollar paint job performed by yours truly.
20220209_155846.jpg

Last edited:
Newest build I’ll be playing with. 7mm Sherman max built on a tikka action, Mesa arms precision stock, 20” x-caliber 8 twist, with banish 30 suppressor screwed on the end. Now to decide on what scope to put on top. Need to find a vx5hd in stock somewhere
View attachment 210128
Very nice.

I just shoot them. Then after about 75 rounds I’ll verify everything again

Nice choice in cartridge @brockel! Here's my 7 max. Tikka action, 22" bartlein #3 with a custom flare at the end to meet suppressor requirements, factory stock that was shaved to fit, added the Tikka vertical grip, and a custom high dollar paint job performed by yours truly.
View attachment 211799

Nice, i like the bartlein option! My tikka SAUM has something similar but in a krieger #5 or 6 that they turned down for me and left some meat on the muzzle. It is still a little heavier than I'd like. Probably a lb more than the HCA carbon it replaced.

What are you fellas loading in the 7 maxes?

Nice, i like the bartlein option! My tikka SAUM has something similar but in a krieger #5 or 6 that they turned down for me and left some meat on the muzzle. It is still a little heavier than I'd like. Probably a lb more than the HCA carbon it replaced.

Right now h1000 180 Berger. I’ve got some 155 grain hammer hunters to try if the wind ever quits blowing

Ive shot the 145 and 150 badlands bulldozer 2s the last couple years and I'm gonna try the 145 lrx this year.

Carbon barrels aren't worth it imo. I estimated the difference between a 22" Bart #3 and a carbon sendero contour and it was like a half lb or maybe a little more in difference? I might be recalling incorrectly, so don't quote me, but I know felt like it wasn't worth the extra money. It's a workin rifle, doesn't need to be pretty. I should probably lose a couple lbs before I ask my rifle for any.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back