Newest Addition to the Quarterbore Stable

Sheltowee

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 29, 2022
Messages
2,278
Location
The Front Range
Went to the opposite end of the fast 25 spectrum for my latest .25-cal rifle, although I suppose it was considered a screamer in its time. Picked up a worn but in pretty decent shape 1949-dated Savage 99 EG in .250-3000, complete with Weaver tip-off rings and an old Bushnell Banner scope. My plan is to try 100gr. softpoints through it but the twist rate calculators tell me I'll have a hard time stabilizing slugs over .900 in length. The .250-3000 99s were 1:14 twist until the mid-60s, when they went to a much more versatile 1:10. Picked up a couple of boxes of Speer 87gr. Hot-Cors as a stand by. I also plan on replacing the Banner with a restored Weaver K4 at some point for a little more historical accuracy. This will probably be mostly a safe queen but I might try to take it to knock over some whitetail does back east just for fun.

Anyone else carrying a Model 99 around the woods or loading the .250 Savage? If so, what loads work for you in the 1:14 twist?

IMG_8507.jpeg
 
One of grandpa’s rifles that disappeared when he died was a Model 99. My guess it was a fair bit newer as it was a .308. I’d like to get one though. Neat rifle!
 
I had one for a number of years. I had good luck with 100gr bullets but it would not shoot 120s. Traded it off for a new Walther PPKs when I was a young cop with a new mortgage, kid, wife and truck. Worst thing I ever did was marry that woman. Love the rifle.
 
I'm shooting a Savage Axis II with an E.R. Shaw 24" sporter with a 1:10 twist.

I mostly use it as my designated coyote rifle.
But I have used it deer hunting and taken a buck and a doe one year. Load was 100gr Ballistic Tips over RL17.

For coyotes I run either a 75gr Sierra HP Varmint or a 90gr Sierra BlitzKing. Both over a lightish charge of Alliant Varmint.
Coyotes out to 400 yards with the BlitzKing is no problem.
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
120,099
Messages
2,249,677
Members
39,092
Latest member
jgarren
Back
Top