Caribou Gear

VaSlickhead

Hey guys,
Me and a fellow outdoorsman friend is planning a trip to northern wyoming for a mid October mule deer hunt. I have never hunted out west before and I was just wonder what is some of the camouflage you guys have seen to work well for you guys out there. I was also wondering with you guys thoughts were on best and easiest way once you have downed an animal (if I'm lucky enough to do so) to pack that animal out. I have heard many Jw wanted some insight what you yall have found to work best. Thanks

camo is personal preference imo, once the animal is downed, a few "glory" pics and I would bone it out right there and put in game bags, keep the meat in large piece's too prevent dirt getting on the meat, than get it hung in a tree or in some kind of shade than too a good cool cooler..... good luck,
Matt

welcome from a fellow Virginian: camo aint that important its all preference, he nailed the game bags and carry it out de-boned. the trick is to be prepared and have a plan

chris

I have boned out the last dozen or so big game animals I've shot with the exception of doe antelope. It's really not too hard, just follow the lines and it comes right apart.

You have to wear hunter's orange during rifle season anyway, so in my opinion there is basically no reason to wear camo in mid-October. That, and the fact that I have no interest 95% of the clothing that is manufactured in camouflage. Camo is far down the list of things that matter in mountain mule deer hunting.

You have to wear hunter's orange during rifle season anyway, so in my opinion there is basically no reason to wear camo in mid-October. That, and the fact that I have no interest 95% of the clothing that is manufactured in camouflage. Camo is far down the list of things that matter in mountain mule deer hunting.

This forum's sponsor (Sitka gear) may not be amused at your wisdom. :)

Now, now SnowyMountaineer. We all know camo makes the hunter.

Depending on where you're hunting, getting an animal out has a couple different options. If you are hunting in an area where you can use a game cart, thats not a bad option. Usually I quarter, bag it, and pack it out. Depending on distance, I may or may not bone a deer. The weight savings vs time/effort is usually not worth the hassle in most instances. A quartered deer is maybe 80-90lbs bone in.

There are lots of threads on game care with great information on care after the kill.

Best of luck on your hunt.

Welcome Slick, from yet another Virginian.
As stated, camo isn't that important. Me and the guys I go out west with must have 5 different camo patterns between us and several solid colored items that we wear as well. I would say quality of clothing is way more critical to us.
We sometimes have horses along with us, but de-boned in game bags on your back is the 'preferred' method for protein extraction. A plan is a good thing to have...at least for starters.

Where in VA do you hang your hat?

Welcome!
Quiet,comfortable,quick drying,durable...go from there.
Personally I use Cabellas Micro-tex in outfitter camo usually.Lasted a long time and works.
Carharts if crawling over rocks makes more sense at times,but jean material makes alot of noise and is a real bummer if it rains,IMHO.

I'm from rockingham county on the western side of the state. I really appreciate all the help from you guys a lot. Best wishes to you guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back