PEAX Equipment

Newbie...

Festus

Good afternoon, gentlemen.
I've been reading this site for some time now and decided to sign up and join in...
I'm from back East :eek: but me and a couple buddies have been 'trying our luck' out West the last couple years. Been to CO, ID, and WY. Killed a couple smaller bulls and a deer or two but thought we'd try MT this year. Got elk/deer tags. We have horses and were planning a backcountry hunt (or trying to). Any advice on the Bob Marshall or the Absoroka-Beartooth wildernesses? Not afraid to get off the beaten path. Talking to as many people as we can to try to pick an area and maybe plan a summer scouting trip. We are kinda green to hunting out West (compared to yall) but if I can offer anything back, I sure would be willing to share ideas.
Look forward to telling stories (mostly true) and share pics with yall...

Havin trouble uploading pics also???? Stupid computer...

Last edited:
If you are looking for elk I would probably pick the Bob over the AB wilderness. I have been in the AB every september for 8 to 16 days for the last 7 years hunting goats and sheep. I can count on one hand the number of bulls we have seen. It used to be excellent elk hunting in there but the numbers have really dropped off and several outfitters have gone out of business and the rest have scaled way back in the wilderness. Beautiful country up there but the game density is very low.

The Bob has a lot of elk but gets hit pretty hard. You will have a hard time finding a drainage that doesnt already have one or more hunting camp set up the first few weeks of the season. I would probably stay away from both of those wilderness areas unless you are determined to rifle hunt elk during the rut. If not, there are plenty of places that get a lot less pressure where you can get plenty far away from roads.

I wouldn't go to either wilderness. Hunt some hard-to-reach public land that is not a designated "wilderness"...there is plenty of it and the hunting is better. The Bob is a zoo...outfitters everywhere and not many elk are killed bigger than the raghorn or small 6x6 class. Its also steep and thicker than shit.

Welcome to the site! Some good advice given already. There's plenty of hard to reach places not designated wilderness.

Welcome festus...great name by the way! Check the forum for 'how to's' of posting pics as well if yer having trouble.

Thank you?

Thank yall for advice, but now that leaves me back about 1/2 step from where I thought I was :confused: I thought I had the beginnings of a plan but now I'm not sure where to go...

I do think i'm figuring out the picture thing, tho.

Hello everybody. Gosh it has been a long time since I have been on here. 2008 to be exact. I just got internet and hopefully we can keep it. Also I lost my password and just found it a few minutes ago.lol
But anyway, just wanted to stop in and say Hello. Now that I have everything I need to get back in here, I will be back in more often. EVERYBODY have a great day and see ya later. Give me about 2 hrs to get somethings changed before or if anyone replies. Thanks

The Bob Marshall gets lot of pressure been in 4 years in a row for bow season and opening day of rifle is like a zoo we are out of there. There are at least 3 groups of hunters in every drainage then the outfitter has 15 hunters if you dont shoot an elk opening day you are in for a hard hunt. Your best bet is to pack in selway-bitteroot for bow season and its not nearly as crowed and rifle you have horse so you can get futher in if thats what your are looking for. If you have never packed you are in for a expereince lots can go wrong especially if your horses are riding stock and not used to packing .The southern part of the Bob burnt back 30 years ago and is not real good area tons of blowdown and very small pockets of dark timber theres a few elk but lots of pressure. Goodluck

Back