Newbie Pronghorn Hunter

SpotNStalker

Hey guys! I've been listening to Randy's podcast and decided to join the HT forum! I've often scanned through threads in the past, just never joined until now. Anyways, I drew my first archery pronghorn tag for Idaho. It's an early hunt (second half of August) and I'm not sure what to expect. Most information I've found says to find a water hole and sit in a blind. While I intend to set up a blind, I think I'd much prefer to start out my hunt spot and stalk. I'd love to know if any of you pronghorn gurus have hunted them in August, and if so how about spot and stalk? It will be pre- rut, so I'm wondering how effective trying to use decoys will be??? I think I'll bring a be the decoy hat/shirt, and maybe a cattle decoy to hide behind. If anyone wants to share their experiences on an early hunt I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

The popularity of sitting water in blinds during dry years is the high rate of success to having pronghorn come within bow range. The blind also allows you to draw back the bow without being seen. Stepping outside the blind raises the difficulty level. A wet year where lots of water raises the difficulty level since each pronghorn has many options where might go for water. Waving a flag or using a decoy is most likely to work where the animals have not been hunted recently. Once a herd has been chased then they get jumpy and pronghorn have very good eyesight. The terrain also impacts the ability to stalk. If is flat then more difficult that if some creek beds or rolling hills to allow movement without being seen. The decoys, including ones mounted to the bow, might help with a stalk yet I usually encounter windy conditions that would create challenges for holding a decoy steady. If you plan on crawling, most times where you find pronghorn you will find cacti and other sharp things with a rattler every once in a while.

I'd never knock sitting in a blind but spot and stalk would be far more rewarding in my opinion. As Lopehunter said terrain plays into your success so I'd try to find the terrain / habitat where you can succeed, learn it, and wait for an opportunity there rather than find an antelope first and try to make a stalk where the terrain is out of your favor.

Good Luck and post up on your success.

Thanks guys and thanks Randy for responding. That playlist of videos was part of the reason I decided to put in for a pronghorn hunt this year! I'll go over them again and see what I can pick out! It looks like an absolute blast, and certainly a challenge! I'm heading to the unit this weekend. I'll try to post pics from scouting if I can, and certainly update if I manage to fill my tag next month! Thanks again guys!

I made it out last weekend to lay eyes on some of the stuff I've been looking at on maps. I found that 90% of the water I was hoping to find was gone, and not many animals in the areas I was looking at. I talked to the local wildlife biologist who confirmed what I was seeing.....a very dry year. The biologist informed me that the areas I was in usually good numbers of animals in the fall/winter, but that it isn't really likely to find them in there this time of year with as dry as it has been.

Overall the trip was very helpful, and even though I only saw about 40 pronghorn over the few days I was there, I feel like the information I gained by getting out there really helped get me moving in the right direction.

Couple more weeks and hopefully I'll be updating you on a successful hunt!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back