3) Cheerleading
4) Ignoring The Problem
5) Creating A Gunshy Retriever
6) Not Teaching Pinpoint Marking
7) Pup Trains The Trainer
8) Trainer Not Accepting Responsibility For Pups Behavior
9) Trainer Gets Frustrated With Pup
10) Lessons Are Challenges Instead of Successes That Build Confidence
Good list, but #5 needs to be #1 and in bold. If you botch this, you are done and the other 9 rules just get you an obedient family pet.

Good list, but #5 needs to be #1 and in bold. If you botch this, you are done and the other 9 rules just get you an obedient family pet.
So true! I produced the podcast based on my experience with our retriever club puppy class.
Most problems are "human nature" problems in that list.
The gun shy problem is one problem were a step by step training guideline can be described and
where the retriever club can help in our 8-week puppy class...pups are retrieving in the field with gun shot at the end of 8 weeks.

The other problems are really up to the puppy owner's human behavior on a daily basis back home
(not repeating commands, not allowing pup to train the trainer, not getting mad or frustrated at whatever pup does, etc.)

I’ll give this a listen today on the road. My buddy is training his Drahthaar for the VGP utility test. #1,2 and 4 are ALWAYS applicable, and we had to clean him up so he could clean the dog up.

Yep, I'm a newbie and I think I scored 9 out of 10 🤪

Gunfire intro I got right (whew!)

Good list and good reminders.

Now, if I could just train my neighbors to NOT amp up my dog every time they see her out on a walk...."HI puppy!!! Good doggie!! Hieee!! Oh, now sit, sit, sit!"...🙄 believe me, I've tried, to the point it's gotten awkward more than once.

Fortunately, some are good learners and my family and close friends who are in the house often, I've been more successful with education

Take your starter pistol with you on the neighborhood walks. ;):oops: Is it still "brandishing" if there's an orange tip?! "Howdy neighbor!!" "Stay back, dog training in process!!"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back