Newbie Elk

Redmt

First off I'm not a new hunter, I've just never hunted elk. We have tule elk, deer and piggies running all over our place but not allowed to hunt the elk per CA. laws.
I was invited last year for an Idaho hunt for 7-10 days. It dwindled to 2-3 days but was told that they were going 2-3 days early because they could usually get animals before the season opens. I bailed out on that one. I had another possible invite for Oregon this year with a private group on leased land but it filled up with the regular group.
Question is,,, should I look for an outfitter willing to take on a 70 year old newbie Elk hunter, try and mooch my way in with another group or just forget trying to hunt elk?

Do not give up on an elk hunt! Started 5 yrs ago now going on 62. Best hunt of your lifetime and can not wait to see draw results each year. If you are physically able, start applying for non resident tags and plan your own hunt. I used outfitter hunt in Montana for one hunt and did DIY other years. I managed a bull last two seasons one Wy and the other home state SD. You can easily find an outfitter to fit you physical ability. Wyoming is a 3-4 yr wait to draw. Montana probably 2-3 and Colorado OTC is possible every year and Idaho is similar but sells out in hours. THere are other options in some states but this is generally what is sought after. You can cut the draw period a year by spending extra money to change from general pool to special or outfitter use or get lucky and draw a random tag.

First off I'm not a new hunter, I've just never hunted elk. We have tule elk, deer and piggies running all over our place but not allowed to hunt the elk per CA. laws.
I was invited last year for an Idaho hunt for 7-10 days. It dwindled to 2-3 days but was told that they were going 2-3 days early because they could usually get animals before the season opens. I bailed out on that one. I had another possible invite for Oregon this year with a private group on leased land but it filled up with the regular group.
Question is,,, should I look for an outfitter willing to take on a 70 year old newbie Elk hunter, try and mooch my way in with another group or just forget trying to hunt elk?
My dad is right around your age. I put him on a guided hunt with finzandfeatherz guide service. Sure it was expensive, But my dad got to go on an elk hunt and tag out and I got to hang out with one of my favorite MMA Fighters. Killed two birds with one stone. Or one elk with many bullets cause dads eyes are not as good as they once were. Regardless, we had a freakin blast. Plus the property we were on had some ponds full of giant rainbow trout.

Look up a outfitter, it will save you a lot of wear and tear. If you are a member of SCI or DSC they can help you find a reputable outfit. A internet search can be hit or miss.

Guys, I appreciate the input. I don't really think that going on a hunt by myself would be that much fun. While this has been on my bucket list for years, I saw more friends in the bucket with me.
Some things just weren't meant to be. A weekend with Lindsey Lohan, having my own jet airplane, being insanely rich,,,,,,

I would definitely not rule out elk hunting. Wait too long and you could miss your opportunity. It can be tough to find an in with a group of other DIY hunters, or mooch an invite somewhere. I’d be calling outfitters to see what you can book in the next 1-2 years. Some states where you can pick up a bull elk license for an outfitter hunt with 12-24 months of planning include NM, MT, & CO. Make sure to ask what kind of hunting it is - experiences vary greatly from utv’s on a ranch to backcountry pack in trips.

Cow hunt? It’s easier to kill a cow than everyone’s dream 6point. Outfitter hunts for cows are cheaper too.

What? You're only 70? I guess I got about 2 years on you. I'll admit I'm not as gung ho to kill anything these days, but I still spend more time in the backcountry, (not that I'm retired), than 95% of the younger people. Don't quit getting out there. Just stay in shape to go.

What? You're only 70? I guess I got about 2 years on you. I'll admit I'm not as gung ho to kill anything these days, but I still spend more time in the backcountry, (not that I'm retired), than 95% of the younger people. Don't quit getting out there. Just stay in shape to go.
Oh I don't intend to quit getting out there! In fact I live in a target rich environment. My "local" daily driver is a Honda ATV with a rifle rack on the front. It always has either a .223 bolt gun or a mini 14 on it. In fact I just finished a Ruger American Ranch just for that purpose.IMG_20220323_065152569.jpg

I’m 65 and love hunt whatever, if your healthy and can walk well then go , I’m up give me a shout

Well crap! I've got a torn bicep in left shoulder. Surgery a couple months out. Recovery 2-6 months depending on much more I screw it up before surgery. Yes,, I'm left handed.

Well crap! I've got a torn bicep in left shoulder. Surgery a couple months out. Recovery 2-6 months depending on much more I screw it up before surgery. Yes,, I'm left handed.
That suck doing pt on left shoulder now sorry to here your messed up if ya wanna hike a bit let me know

Redmont,

I'm 72 and I still hunt Elk. Here is what you do. First, don't give up. There is someone out there looking for a partner like you.
Join the RMEF if you haven't already. They support Elk hunting in a very big and wonderful way. You may even meet someone through them that would help you out.

If your goal is to hunt Elk this year first look at the states that still offer tags. Utah is one of them. They offer 15K tags to non-residents in July. Just make sure you purchase immediately upon the opening purchase date if you decide to hunt. Start a thread stating that you are interested in finding a hunting partner for whatever season in whatever state you are interested in hunting in both Hunt Talk and Rockslide.

Right now is a little late in the year to be looking for a hunt as some states have already drawn.
But there is at least one option that I know of which is Utah. I assume you hunt with Rifle but they also offer a Archery season.

If you are interested in Montana, buy a preference point this July/Aug and enter next year's draw at which time you buy another preference point for a total of 2 points which would give you a fair chance to draw a tag. Last day to apply for the draw is 1 April.
A tag in Montana is expensive but you also get a game bird tag and fishing license and it's good for the entire Elk season both Archery, (with purchase of a 10 dollar archery tag),Rifle and Muzzleloader seasons.

Most years I'm looking for a hunting partner too but I've gone alone more than once. I'm 72 but I managed to find a partner to hunt with this year. He and I are in the Montana draw as a party with only one point each so our odds are pretty low to draw so I'm looking at Utah as a possible alternate hunt location and I have hunted there so I am already familiar with the area. If I draw Montana this year I'm going during the Archery Elk season but the Elk tag is good for any Elk season

I can't promise you but you might be able to hang out with us if we don't draw Montana this year and decide to go to Utah. That's kinda of a big if though on both counts however. I would have to get the OK from my hunting partner and I'm not sure I will hunt elk this year if he isn't interested in hunting Utah. Also, he may be more interested in the Utah Archery season than in the Rifle season? These aren't things we bothered to figure out yet. That said, the Archery season there sucks as it ends before the better part of the Elk Rut.

I'm back in the hunt so to speak. I got my MRI Tuesday and results last night. No surgery at least! It's probably 3-4 months of rehab but that's better than waiting 2 months for surgery then 2-6 months of rehab.
My quest continues.
Good deal, by the way that's a nice looking rifle.

Thanks. I've been swapping out the OEM stocks from Ruger with Boyds. I keep an eye on their Rapid Fire section but ordered this one custom as I really liked the Coyote wood laminate.
Red,
Looks like I probably won't be hunting in Montana this year as we weren't successful in the drawl. My Montana partner has a optional Alaska Moose hunt he decided he will go on this fall. That leaves me to decide if I want to hunt elk this fall or not and where. I could put my name on a Montana alternate list, go to Utah or just hunt near home.

I don't know your extent of planning for a Elk hunt, so do you have a particular state in mind for your first Elk hunt?

Back