Newb from AL

ChrisAU

Hey guys, newbie here, long time poster on Rokslide and 24HCF. Lifelong eastern whitetail hunter, sophomore Western hunter going on my 2nd Elk hunt this year after diving into DIY last year. Joined up here because I can use all the help I can get, heard about it on one of Newberg's podcasts.

Cool beans. Welcome. Howd you do on your first elk hunt ? Get one ?

Cool beans. Welcome. Howd you do on your first elk hunt ? Get one ?

Nope, only saw a handful of cows. We were mostly figuring out how to not die, not being experienced campers and deciding to march 4 miles into a canyon in CO for a week. There was 4 of us, I had the only tag (I have some good friends lol). We had an absolute blast, loved every second. Found a 4 pt and a 6 pt shed, and helped a couple guys pack out a monster 6x6. We all saw elk, mule deer, antelope, and bison (on the way there) for the first time in our lives. None of us had ever seen the Rockies.

5 of us are going this year, me and 1 of the guys from the last year have 1st rifle tags. It can't come fast enough!

Nope, only saw a handful of cows. We were mostly figuring out how to not die, not being experienced campers and deciding to march 4 miles into a canyon in CO for a week. There was 4 of us, I had the only tag (I have some good friends lol). We had an absolute blast, loved every second. Found a 4 pt and a 6 pt shed, and helped a couple guys pack out a monster 6x6. We all saw elk, mule deer, antelope, and bison (on the way there) for the first time in our lives. None of us had ever seen the Rockies.

5 of us are going this year, me and 1 of the guys from the last year have 1st rifle tags. It can't come fast enough!

Welcome to HuntTalk

Nice karma building with the packout assist. Hope your next trip out is even more fun and successful.

Welcome, it’s refreshing to have someone post a introduction with out asking for unit specific details.

The first year is a steep learning curve, glad you got to help pack one out. It puts you further ahead than most. Good luck on your hunt this year.

Welcome, it’s refreshing to have someone post a introduction with out asking for unit specific details.

The first year is a steep learning curve, glad you got to help pack one out. It puts you further ahead than most. Good luck on your hunt this year.

Thanks! I researched the hell out of where to go last year and now having been there once I'm pretty sure we'll just be building on learning that area for a few years at least. Think I did pretty good, went 2nd rifle OTC in a popular unit and only saw 4 hunters in a week once we left the trailhead - the two that we helped pack out (who were awesome, and my group's vacation time providing have offered to host us in AZ next year for Coues and Mule Deer hunting as reciprocation for the help), and a father son combo who were very nice, when we ran into them we chatted a bit and they said they had seen some cows but no bulls, we asked where because we just wanted to see some elk and they pointed us in the direction and sure enough thats where we saw elk for the first time in our lives. Granted, I chose our location because it was hard to get to an steep. My reasoning was that we had no reference so it was going to be hard either way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back