Caribou Gear Tarp

New Zealand Stag Hunt

Beautiful animal! Did you say you packed itout 8 miles? How many trips did it take?

@Kiwi - Nice friggin' stag! Didn't think the public ones went that big. I recently joined NZHS to get feedback from locals in your neck of the woods, as my buddy and I are planning a trip out there before the rut (Feb-Mar). We may end up doing a management hunt, but my buddy wants to do Poronui, which is fenced, and 4x the $$$. Hoping to meet some locals so the next time I go solo, and can stay for a month to properly scout some public.

@Kiwi - Nice friggin' stag! Didn't think the public ones went that big. I recently joined NZHS to get feedback from locals in your neck of the woods, as my buddy and I are planning a trip out there before the rut (Feb-Mar). We may end up doing a management hunt, but my buddy wants to do Poronui, which is fenced, and 4x the $$$. Hoping to meet some locals so the next time I go solo, and can stay for a month to properly scout some public.
Its a pretty decent stag for public land. Took me many years, and lots of boot leather, to find a spot that holds these good stags.

I've walked through Poronui to get to public land and it does have nice sika stags for the right money. I'm sure you would have a great experience but as you say its fenced and no where close to a true wild hunt.

Send me a PM if you want some recommendations. I can help you out with some hunt options, including cheapish chopper spots where you can get dropped off and hunt wild game (deer, chamois, pigs, tahr) on public land.

BTW the red stag roar starts late March.

Beautiful Stag Kiwi! I've admired your posts for a while as a lurker. Congrats on another job well done.

Its a pretty decent stag for public land. Took me many years, and lots of boot leather, to find a spot that holds these good stags.

I've walked through Poronui to get to public land and it does have nice sika stags for the right money. I'm sure you would have a great experience but as you say its fenced and no where close to a true wild hunt.

Send me a PM if you want some recommendations. I can help you out with some hunt options, including cheapish chopper spots where you can get dropped off and hunt wild game (deer, chamois, pigs, tahr) on public land.

BTW the red stag roar starts late March.
Do red stag tend to have similar characteristics as the Rocky Mountain Elk?
Like, do they have the similar phases early season, pre 'roar', roar (starts in March), post 'roar' and late season?

Do red stag tend to have similar characteristics as the Rocky Mountain Elk?
Like, do they have the similar phases early season, pre 'roar', roar (starts in March), post 'roar' and late season?
Yes, in general they have a lot of the same characteristics including the phases you mentioned.

The hunting techniques are also similar in terms of call in during the roar and then finding the solo stags feeding post roar or as you call it late season.

They also move up and down the landscape during the season changes and you'll find them up high in the summer. I have a high country stag trip planned in two weeks and will be looking at the highest part of the mountain range.

We do have commercial helicopter hunting here in New Zealand so that can influence the game animal behavior, mostly for the tahr and stags.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAG
I haven't seen anyone call for stag in the roar, do they have calls or tools for this?

Back