Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New Zealand here I come!!!!!!

wswat

Always wanted to hunt red stag and I finally will get my wish!! Heading over to Bow hunt during the ROAR:)
Anyone who has been there have any must do or see items?

I havent been but know people that have, you must go fly fishing, or if that doesnt interest you how about shooting some piggies?
I am very jealous.
Cheers
Richard

You must go on the shotover jet and check out Cook glacier. There is also some pretty cool stuff in Christchurch.Great place to spend some time.

Was there many moons ago....... Tahr, and Chamois is a must. I cheated and used a rifle..... And, a Helicopter ;)

Love that place !!

I hunted Stag, Tar and shot many varments at night with a silencer. The Tar by far the best. I want to go back for a Black Swan, and Fallow Buck. The Roar is great. Enjoy

You do realise Christchurch experienced a severe earthquake in 2011?

Actually, no. I don't watch the news and I don't read the paper. To many shenanigans for me and total hypocrisy. That being said, I also miss the important stuff, like earthquakes, volcanoes, and which politician cheated on his wife or said something profoundly stupid.

I did however just look it up. It appears like the earthquake wasn't one of total devastation, so I am sure they will have things partially rebuilt, if not totally, by the time he gets there. Realistically, even if everything is closed, it is still a nice area to see.

Link to the shotover...
http://www.shotoverjet.com/

Tramway, Gondola, and Grand Tour.... Partially open, looks to be totally re-opened soon after reporting only minor damage.
http://www.tram.co.nz/

When you board the plane from the US, make sure all of your clothing and boots are sparkling clean. They don't take kindly to the possible introduction of foreign soils, and they will clean your clothes if they don't like what they see. Adds some time at customs, and can possibly mess-up a layover flying from the North to South island, assuming you are hunting the South island. I learned from experience, and I even scrubbed my boots before I left.

On the way back, make sure you carry-on is below the maximum weight. It was the first time I ever had a carry-on weighed, and luckily I hadn't stuffed it with what I normally do. That seems to be common over there, from others I have talked to.

You should also buy as many possum wool products as you can afford. Gloves, hats, socks, and etc. It is by far the warmest clothing you will buy. I brought some back for the family, and they all still use it to this day. Very soft and comfortable to wear.

And if available, try and go out at night and shoot some Australian Possums. Neat critters. I actually brought one back and had it mounted. Looks like a cross between a possum and a fisher.

Are you bringing your hides/horns back with you directly?

Last edited:
Remember when you arrive at NZ customs you need NZ dollars to pay for your firearms permits. If not you will have to pass through customs twice. Once to go get NZ dollars and again with you bagagge. It is easy to exchange in Sanfran, I know you will not get the best rate but do enough to get through Customs.

Christchurch is still a mess. I wouldn't go there right now if I were you. I lived there for awhile and most of the interesting things to see were, sadly, damaged or destroyed in the quakes. The city is very much a work in progress right now, so, in order to maximize your time in the country, I'd route around the city. That being said, the Canterbury plain is lovely, and there is lots to see and do along the coast as you travel south.

The fish are huge. Just stupid big trout. They are also really tough to catch, so get a guide if you do go fishing for trout. There is some very good big game fishing in places, more in the north island than the south, but they catch some big ones. Tuna, marlin, etc.

I think my number one must do NZ item is to get out on one of the fjords in Fjordland NP. There are the big tourist boats that go out on Milford sound, and they are fine if you are on a tight schedule, but there are also other options for smaller, overnight trips, some sea kayaking, that kind of thing. I would really look in to one of those. Or an airplane tour of the fjords. The fjords are just too good to miss.

The thing with NZ is that it's sort of turned itself into the adventure capital of the world. You can boogie board down a whitewater river, go bungee jumping, skydiving, zorbing, the list goes on forever. It also has a remarkable diversity of landscapes, so there something new everywhere you go. It's also not cheap. Do yourself a favor and get a rough guide or lonely planet and do some research. Something will pop out at you that looks too good to pass up. If you have questions about specific things to see or do, send me a PM if you like. I'd be happy to help.

Thank you everyone for all the tips.
We are going with ASJ Trophy hunting. I know several people that have been over there and to multiple places and after all their info and with meeting ASJ at SCI in Vegas we choice their place. Looks like it will be a great time!

I'd stock up with Swazi hunting clothes if I was short on anything once there. Not sure on the exchange rate but it would save shipping. I've been impressed withthe pieces I've seen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back