New Zealand help

live free or die

Hi All
Headed to New Zealand in two weeks and I need some help! The online firearm import form requires the name and license number of a New Zealand resident. How do I get around this? Any ideas suggestions? Plan "b" would be just take my bow which appears to be exempt, but would definitely prefer the gun.

Are you going DIY ...? if you have a contact there just ask them if they can be your gun host.

Last edited:
Hi glass eye. Figured you were over there now! Anyway ya I am going DIY and have no contacts there. Been chasing some leads with no success yet.l

I would just ring the licensing department up, explain the situation and see if they are can approve the application. Or try to get in touch with the arms officer at the central Christchurch police station and speak to him.

Let us know how you go.

What areas are you planning on hunting for the different species?

Last edited:
NZ police don't want guns being stored in the trunk of cars while not in use ( theft risk) thus the requirement for a resident licensed gun owner who can safely store the guns for you while you are tiki touring.
Since you leave in just 2 weeks and don't already have your permit, and since you'll be there for 3 months, I'd just take the bow and perhaps during your stay you will find new friends who will be willing to lend you a rifle. I find the kiwis to be very friendly and eager to help a stranger, something you will find quite different than the US. I had kiwis I had never met before offer me the use of their guns but I politely declined as I had my own. One guy I had never met before offered to lend me his Swarovski's but again I declined but I was amazed at the offer.

Thanks guys. I will try and get ahold of someone there. HGWT I plan on three weeks on the North Island chasing deer, then three weeks on the South Island looking for Chamois ,maybe tahr. Maybe head down to Australia for two weeks after that. That is if I don't bring the gun. Seems easy enough to get in with a compound.Glasseye thought you were going to NZ, not yet? HGWT keep them awesome pics coming.

.Glasseye thought you were going to NZ, not yet? QUOTE]

I like going in May & June but this year we went to Lanai instead. It's looking like I'll be going in either October or November. If I draw an AZ strip tag I'll be going in early October. If I don't draw it'll be November.

Let us know how you are getting on. Will be a real challenging time hunting the post rut deer species up in the north, especially with a bow, but at least you are trying. As for the chamois and tahr, there are some good opportunities on the West Coast up those side creeks running straight from the mountains and down under the coast road. Just park your car and do day hikes, should be able to pull a chamois out of them and GE will be your friend as to what ones have slips and clearings for tucker for the animals. A quick chopper drop off will get you into Tahr country in no time for a bash at the them from the coast and i reckon you will have a good time if you know how to use glass and work terrain.
Pm me if you need any more help or end up in OZ and maybe i can swing a hunt somewhere for you.

How did the hunt end up, any chance of a report on the hills you managed to climb and any animals that you came across? Be good for a few others to learn how you went.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fingelfinger
Back