Yeti GOBOX Collection

New ultralight rifle

6lbs is a tough place to get to unless wanting to spend some big money. Either the Christensen or tikka is going to come in close to 7 if not a little over before optics

Also remember your short actions weigh less than long actions. A .308 is hard to beat for options. The Kimber hunter is a great choice and has mods that can make it even lighter to pack.

I shot a big cow last week with a T3X in .308. Not an ultra lite, just the standard T3X, but it's as light as I'd want a hunting rifle to be and I've hiked many, many miles with it in the sling attached to my pack, under my right arm. Every time I shoot that gun or hunt with it I go away wondering why I mess with anything else. I've killed 2 elk, a black bear, and probably a dozen deer with it.

I've gotten into the build-you-own trend, but if I were to buy another factory rifle it would probably be a Tikka.
A T3x lite in SS is a tough go anywhere rifle. With a light rifle, might as well get ia pleasant to shoot cartridge like 7mm-08, .308, 270 win. Get something that has a good trigger and shoots straight. My T3 in .270 Win has done it all and I have never missed with it... one shot and down. A 22 inch barrel slings well and packs well.

Would I gain much if anything by going 280AI over 270 wsm?
You'd gain quite a bit by going to 7mm.
As was previously stated, the shear number of different weight options, and that by every bullet manufacturer.

More availability of not just bullets and cases for handloading. Factory ammo will be more available also.
With the added benifit of being able to shoot standard 280 Rem ammo if you need to. (Headspacing is the same as with AI)

I'd like to keep is around the 6 pound mark, give or take. I've shot em before just never owned one.
To keep the whole rifle under 7lb, your looking at bare rifle weight close to 5.5lb.
A lot of people tend to go the short route to get that light.
One of the reasons i liked my Forbes so much was he bucked that theory.
Forbes uses a 24" barrel, that i'm guessing is a 1.5 contour.
He saves his weight in the action and stock.

I'm not sure how much one of the Weatherby Mark V Titanium weighs.
Just throwing that out there.

I have been very happy with my Kimber Hunter. For what you’re looking for, I’d get the .280 AI.
I've been looking seriously at one of those also!
Really hard to go that light weight, especially at that price!

When i ran accross the Forbes i bought in the used rack for $995, it took 5 minutes to decide to get it.
Had it been chambered in 284 Win instead of 280 Rem, it would have taken less time!

Egads...

Looking around at the rifles for sale for Black Friday.

When i come accross the Weatherby Mark V Hunter.

6 lug (280AI), 24" threaded barrel (for a break), 6.1 lbs.
$1,349.

So many rifles, so little time!!

Last edited:
Egads...

Looking around at the rifles for sale for Black Friday.

When i come accross the Weatherby Mark V Hunter.

6 lug (280AI), 24" threaded barrel (for a break), 6.1 lbs.
$1,345.

So many rifles, so little time!!
Where's that at???

I bought a Mark V Weathermark LT in a 6.5 RPM this year. Bare is 5.9lbs. I have a VX3i scope on it. Full set up with a sling is 7.5lbs. I have really enjoyed packing it around the mountains this year. My next lightest set up is 9.5lbs and it is a noticeable difference packing.

Any particular reason you prefer a lightweight rifle? I don't. They kick more and don't point as well a heavier gun. I'm no Charles Atlas but I can still carry my WWII Sringfield 30-06 all day ... at age 69. Not sure exactly how much that war horse weighs but definitely not lightweight. I hunt pheasants all day, day after day, with a Browning A5 Magnum Twelve, probably the heaviest 12 gauge auto ever made. It is rarely slung on my shoulder (sling is in the game bag for walk out).

Unless you have a specific need for a lightweight rifle (e.g. dall sheep guide), I think you will likely be disappointed. Hard recoil, whippy, and noisy.

Last edited:
Anybody have any experience with the Kimber hunter pro. If so how's the trigger and any chambering issues?
I had to do a little reading to see exactly what the difference was between the hunter and the hunter pro. Looks like the only difference is the finish on the stock.

IMO, the factory trigger on the Kimbers is one of the better factory triggers I have used. I have not tried to adjust mine down from the factory setting, and while it’s not as good as the Bix’n Andy trigger I put on my M700 mountain rifle, for a factory, it’s pretty damn good.

As far as chambering issues, good question. Mine is a 6.5 CM and I load them with hammer hunters. Long bullet seated out to the very end of the box magazine. If I try to subtly chamber a round, I do run into issues periodically where it doesn’t really want to feed super smooth. If I’m not worried about being really quiet, on the range, I never have feeding issues. I did sand down the front of the feed lips a little bit and that helped, but it needs a little bit more work.

Any particular reason you prefer a lightweight rifle? I don't. They kick more and don't point as well a heavier gun. I'm no Charles Atlas but I can still carry my WWII Sringfield 30-06 all day ... at age 69. Not sure exactly how much that war horse weighs but definitely not lightweight. I hunt pheasants all day, day after day, with a Browning A5 Magnum Twelve, probably the heaviest 12 gauge auto ever made. It is rarely slung on my shoulder (sling is in the game bag for walk out).

Unless you have a specific need for a lightweight rifle (e.g. dall sheep guide), I think you will likely be disappointed. Hard recoil, whippy, and noisy.
The whippy is my main concern. Just thought a light rifle would be nicer to carry all day long. I did kind of fall in love with a browning x bolt stalker LR. At 33 I can carry a heavy load all day, just thought I'd be a fun build.

The whippy is my main concern. Just thought a light rifle would be nicer to carry all day long. I did kind of fall in love with a browning x bolt stalker LR. At 33 I can carry a heavy load all day, just thought I'd be a fun build.
You just need to be honest with yourself and what you’re trying to accomplish with the rifle. If you want to be able to shoot to 800 yards, then I wouldn’t waste your time trying to build a sub 6 pound rifle. I love carrying mine, and I’ve had no issues shooting them accurately out to 400+ yards. Honestly, I’ve never tried stretching them beyond that, but both of them are true sub MOA rifles.

Tikka in 270 or 7mm-08 with Hammer bullets - lasers and lights out!

You just need to be honest with yourself and what you’re trying to accomplish with the rifle. If you want to be able to shoot to 800 yards, then I wouldn’t waste your time trying to build a sub 6 pound rifle. I love carrying mine, and I’ve had no issues shooting them accurately out to 400+ yards. Honestly, I’ve never tried stretching them beyond that, but both of them are true sub MOA rifles.
I don't really do 800 yard shots anymore other than maybe the gongs for fun. I try to keep the shots within 400 with a 500 max

I don't really do 800 yard shots anymore other than maybe the gongs for fun. I try to keep the shots within 400 with a 500 max
For what it’s worth, I shot my buck last year at 404 yards, from a sitting position, leaning over the top of my pack. Kimber Hunter, 6.5, scope set on 6X. It was plenty steady.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back