New to Western Hunting/Wyoming Mule Deer

ples0017

Hello all, i am new to the forum and new to western hunting. My Dad, Brother and I are planning our first hunting trip, we have put in for Wyoming rifle mule deer. we have deer hunted in WI our entire lives. We are planning on basing out of a camper somewhere on BLM land. I am curious on what happens after we shoot the deer. Will we need to have packs to pack it out, do we drag it out? I am assuming you cant just take an atv across BLM land. What do you all recommend? I am looking at getting some game bags and coolers and frozen milk jugs. A decent set of binos is also on the list. any advice is appreciated. thank you in advance

I'd buy better than a decent set of binos if you can afford them and you plan on doing this more than once.

You could drag it out, but that's a lot of hard work. I find it much easier to load the quarters on a pack or frame and carry them out that way. Then you can put the meat in a cooler on ice and/or dry ice depending on how long you need to keep it. I kept meat good from a Nevada archery buck for over a week using ice and a cooler.

Have a fun hunt and take way more pictures than you think you should. You'll be glad you did later on.

Ditto on the binos. But the most expensive pair you can afford. Check out theron binoculars on predator optics, they are a lot of quality glass for the money. Also get a good range finder like leica and get a gps that will handle a landowner chip. Good boots that are not too heavy are a good investment as well. Get a descent backpack and either practice or watch videos on the gutless method. Dragging more than a short distance stinks.

Good luck and enjoy, you'll have a blast.

i know that there is a the waste and want law in wyoming, what can be left behind, if we take the 4 quarters and the top line and part of the neck, or do we need to pull all of the rib meat out as well?

any suggestions on a pack, i know i can spend a ton of money but is i possible to stay around 100$ and get by?

Have the base map and on my phone, greatest thing since sliced bread

thanks

Wyoming requirements for big game: (u) “Edible portion of big game animal” means the meat of the front quarters as far down as the
knees, meat of the hindquarters as far down as the hocks, and the meat along the backbone between the
neck and hindquarters including the loins and tenderloins, excluding meat on the ribs and neck.

IMHO you'll pay a lot more than $100 for a good backpack, but it's a good investment just like binos if you plan on hunting out west on a regular basis.

Check your PMs!

Last edited:
Not sure where you live in WI but most colleges have outdoor centers that will rent backpacks. Just clean it good after your done. Otherwise hit up craigs list for an internal frame back packing pack. You can find good used packs for less than a hundo. Wont be camo but the deer wont care. That would save you some cash for binos.

What zone you hunting?

Have fun. Chasing mulies is way fun.

Learn how to use dry ice if you never have before, easy to find (unless sold out) but will help keep that meat longer

Get a cabelas pack frame, think they call them alaskan now but under $100, very helpful if away from truck and if it rains you may be doing more walking than driving.

Last edited:
Quarter or bone it and haul it in packs, IMO, is much easier than dragging it or even using a game cart. For the price, this pack has gotten good reviews on another forum as a hauler. A couple of those and some game bags would have you ready to haul meat fairly affordably.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/6439...yall-pack&attrValue_0=Olive&productId=1077114

PS- Be sure to be aware of the evidence of sex rules for your tag!! That's one that trips up a lot of first timers to WY.

For the price range you're looking to stay around, I'd highly recommend a Kelty Cache hauler.

Boning and putting in game bags is a great way to get the game out. I have an Eberle stock and I was able to pack out half a deer cape and rack along with all my day gear. You never know how far you get from the truck. At base camp we have a small freezer with a generator. Only time we have issues is when we get a couple velvet racks that we want to put up. Guess I just need to learn how to preserve in the field. Rifle season you should not need to worry. Treat your optics as another part of your weaponry. So important out there. I use Leupold, but my buddies use vortex and zeiss and they are very good binocs as well.
Good luck! I'm sure you will enjoy it. I can't get enough of it... the countdown begins as soon as I get home for next year!
Ps Wyoming results should be posted today by 10am!!!!!!!

Got ours, region C, nervous and excited

So follow up question and may seem dumb but what do you do to ID sex, is it as simple as antlers, I'm used to leaving a wing and a leg on but don't think that is aplicable in this situation

Thanks for all the help

Got ours, region C, nervous and excited

So follow up question and may seem dumb but what do you do to ID sex, is it as simple as antlers, I'm used to leaving a wing and a leg on but don't think that is applicable in this situation

Thanks for all the help

If your tag is good for either sex in the unit where you kill the animal, you don't have to worry about evidence of sex. If you have a cow or doe tag, all you need to do is cut the udder off and put it in a ziplock bag and keep it with the meat. Wyoming no longer requires it to remain attached to any meat if you bone everything out at the kill site.

Back