PEAX Equipment

new to western hunting elk and mule deer

westernhunter98

I am new to western hunting and I am wondering what are the best things to buy in my first year? and also I am wondering is it worth it to buy gear like Sitka in my first year even though It is my first year and I am still growing?

Not sure where you live, or what you have for a budget, but odds are, what you currently have for hunting in other places is probably sufficient for your first few western hunts. Good luck. Thanks for signing up.

I live in Nevada and my budget is right around 4 hundred dollars and I am aware that it is not alot for gear but I already have a pack

Boots.

Don't be afraid to spend $350 on a good pair of boots. Honestly my boots cost about as much as my rifle.

If you're new to western hunting I'd buy top notch boots first, the best binos you can afford second, and a quality backpack third. Everything else you can get away with what you have. I guide for a lot of out of state hunters and these are the three items that they bring that are generally not up to snuff.

All that other fancy, super-duper ultralight stuff is nice (I own a lot of it) but if you're feet are sore and blistered after the first day or first few miles, none of it does you any good.

Good advice to get a GPS. In my opinion expensive gear is not needed. Comfortable boots and pack are important. I would go hunting and gain experience before I bought a $400 jacket. You must be fairly young if you are still growing.

No way I'd recommend buying a gps with the smartphone apps coming out right now. They're just as capable as a gps, you already own it, and the screens are way nicer. Only downside is you can't carry extra batteries in your pack.

I would caution on making sure boots are comfortable and broke in and not just expensive.

My phone is always dead and I can carry batteries for GPS. How does everyone keep their phones charged and have service for GPS location on phone?

My phone is always dead and I can carry batteries for GPS. How does everyone keep their phones charged and have service for GPS location on phone?

You don't need service to run the gps apps, you just have to download the maps ahead of time.

You don't need service to run the gps apps, you just have to download the maps ahead of time.

Bingo - I just downloaded any western land ownership/hunting maps I could find on my iPhone 5 - it's sweet .

GPS with landowner map(phones die, pack extra batteries), good binos such as a midline vortex, and a solid pair of boots(if nothing else the danner pronghorns). A rifle you can comfortably and accuratly shoot to 300yrds and some camo that you layer. You stated you have a pack, just make sure it's one that you can count on. I'm a badlands 2200 guy. You'll want a quality knife, I also throw in 2 parring knives from victorinox. Games bags, a bit of rope, flashlight, small med kit, lighter and a snack. Thats essentially what I drag around. Combine with lots of time in the field and a positive attitude and your gold. Have fun.

GPS (or phone if trust batteries) is needed for wilderness hunting. You can walk for days on some hunts and never cross a road or see a building.

Boots are critical. I have 3 pair since what I wear in August is not what I wear in October and not what I wear if is headed below 0F. Put on liner sock and make sure no wrinkles. Put on the thick sock over the liner and make sure no wrinkles. Wrinkles lead to blisters. Tighten your boot laces after hike the first mile.

Great binoculars will give you an edge very early in the day and late in the day when light levels are iffy but a good used pair is fine for a few years. Binos are the glass you will use more often than the rifle scope or spotting scope so take some time to decide on the bins. Glassing is smarter than hiking all day. Binos are your friend.

Get a decent daypack and backpack. Backpack for carrying in a bivy camp or the meat out. Daypack is for use when you are away from camp during the day so is smaller than your main backpack. Used is fine and the technology does not change much.

Get some waterproof pants and a coat that breathe to let sweat out and keep rain from getting in. This is more important than any of your other clothing since if you get wet then you will have problems once stop moving. Cotton kills. Layering is best. Wool is amazing as a layer.

Good luck on your hunting adventures!

thank for all the advice I have a good pack and boot I am just wondering what you guys think about binoculars because I have 300 dollars to spend on them?

Asking about binos will open a can of worms, my simple opinion is a cheap pair of Bushnell or Nikon type will due just fine until you can afford Swarovski which will be $1500. Try different ones till you find something you like.

Not to belabor the GPS point but if you do not have cell service you do not know your location, that is the whole point of GPS? It is nice to know where you are at, especially if you plan on going home sometime.

kmf, go to the camerealand site and check out their demo glass. Some great deals there from time to time. mtmuley

Asking about binos will open a can of worms, my simple opinion is a cheap pair of Bushnell or Nikon type will due just fine until you can afford Swarovski which will be $1500. Try different ones till you find something you like.

Not to belabor the GPS point but if you do not have cell service you do not know your location, that is the whole point of GPS? It is nice to know where you are at, especially if you plan on going home sometime.

***I guess the newfangled phones are nice, but I'm with you on having a decent GPS with a chip and I know where I'm at within a few feet on the map. Without phone service a map is just a map on a screen and then the guessing begins as to where you are!

You do not need service to use the GPS part of a phone. Service is only used to get the maps. Phones have built in GPS receivers identical to the handheld GPS specific units, and are just as accurate.

You do not need service to use the GPS part of a phone. Service is only used to get the maps. Phones have built in GPS receivers identical to the handheld GPS specific units, and are just as accurate.
Yep! And you can put some cool map overlays on them just like the GPS.

I used mine last year in WY and was quite surprised at how well it worked. That said, for hunts a ways from recharging I still pack my Delorme. Though I do understand that there are now more/better options for recharging your phone in the hills. Many of which use AA or AAA to do so.

Back