New to the game

raiderbowhunter

Just getting into elk hunting after going on a cow hunt in nm back in Nov

I'm completely consumed by the majestic wapiti.

I'm putting in for a nm tag and starting to gather all things needed to hunt the big woods

Can anyone throw out a good list of stuff, so that I can keep buying what I need and maybe get it all done before season gets here?

I appreciate any and all help/advice!!

Thanks in advance

Josh

Your first investment should be some cabinets in the garage. Get some good locks. Put all of the crap you buy in the cabinets. Hide the key from the wife so she doesn't find your stuff. Kinda like she does with her shoes in the guest bedroom closet.

Your first investment should be some cabinets in the garage. Get some good locks. Put all of the crap you buy in the cabinets. Hide the key from the wife so she doesn't find your stuff. Kinda like she does with her shoes in the guest bedroom closet.

Crap! I guess my new gps should stay in my pickup till get those installed!!! Lol

Get a good GPS if you do not yet. Learn how to use it to mark vehicle, camp, elk sign, etc and to backtrack.

Optics are critical in big country. Unless you love to hike around all day. To save boot leather, you will likely use a spotting scope more than binos and binos more than rifle scope. Buy the best you can afford and upgrade in the order you use them most.

Practice with your weapon of choice. Keep notes on where the weapon shoots at what distances.

Pull together a solid survival kit. Consider a sat phone or a Spot unit if you will have people back home nervous about you.

Get in shape.

If you do the above, you may or may not find an elk but you will have a good time trying.

To improve your odds of finding a bull elk, talk to folks who hunted the unit in past years. Huntin' Fool subscription includes a service that provides you contact names of hunters. I have had very good success in calling up other members to get info. I rarely am close enough to a unit to scout prior to arriving for the hunt so being able to make notes on a topo map about places to camp, get fuel, vantage points to glass from, etc, is well worth the $100 a year HF costs.

Good luck!

Thanks Lopehunter!

I just got a garmin Dakota 20. I know it's slightly on the novice side, but I'm a complete novice in regards to GPS.

I am a cyclist and ride 100-200 miles a week so all I really think I need to do is some stairs/hills with a pack on.....am I underestimating it you think?

I know it all boils down to homework if you want to hunt where the elk are

I appreciate the advice a bunch!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back