PEAX Equipment

New to Texas

kbhillhunter

Hi all - I am new to the Hunt Talk forum and look forward to learning and exchanging valuable information. I recently moved from Western New York to the San Antonio, TX area. I get the impression that public whitetail hunting in TX is not a realistic endeavor. Can anyone provide any insight here? Thanks!

Pete

Yep, public land hunting in TX, especially for big game, is a tough nut. In the long run you will probably have to get on a lease with some guys, and be prepared to spend some money. There are some draw hunts you can apply for, check the website;

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/hunt/public/

I think the main booklet comes out in the summer, with most deadlines starting Aug-Sep. Lots of deer hunts available and some hogs and exotics, but draw odds are mostly terrible. My grandkids live in TX and they have drawn a couple of youth tags this way.

Also check the Corps. of Engineers, some reservoirs will have some hunting areas around them, just not sure about deer.

Good luck!
JR

JR is right on. There is a ton of information to review (leases, Corps of Engineers, etc.), but Texas does not have the same public advantages of those to our West.

If you need additional assistance on where to start looking for leases etc., I am sure many of us could lead you to some sites/groups. Feel free to PM me and I would be glad to talk and provide any assistance I can.

The good thing about Texas is that there is no real lack of opportunity (as in states in the West because of applications for tags), it just takes more money to gain the opportunity.

Thanks,
Tim

If you don't mind hunting whitetail doe the draw odds are decent in some WMAs.

Sheff

I hope you like Mexican food.............

Hi all - I am new to the Hunt Talk forum and look forward to learning and exchanging valuable information. I recently moved from Western New York to the San Antonio, TX area. I get the impression that public whitetail hunting in TX is not a realistic endeavor. Can anyone provide any insight here? Thanks!

Pete

We can get you set up on a great hunt. 415 acres in Vanderpool, Tx. 5 top class blinds or spot & stalk. Shots from 40 yards to 1000+.

Pete

Welcome to San Antonio. I will be using the drawn hunts this year in Texas. I use the dove fields south of 410 and out in New Braunfels. If you need anymore info, let me know.

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I gotta help a new Texan out! If you have the gumption to pull off a western public land hunt, you can certainly pull off a public land whitetail in TX. I am a transplanted native and used to work for TPWD. Here are some tips from my research (I always hunted my family's ranch, but was determined to pull of a public land hunt too until I moved to CO!)

1. If you don't already, pick up archery/bow hunting and get good. The opportunities available to stick hunters are EXPONENTIALLY greater than other public land hunters in TX.
2. Buy the annual public hunting permit ($48) and read the book. Lots of walk-in deer hunting opportunities in there but each place has its own season, weapons, and special restrictions.
3. Look into TX's tag drawing system. This year's deadline is already past. It is very cheap to enter and has excellent opportunities. Start applying for tags at Mason Mountain WMA if you want a hunt of a lifetime. It is a truly stunning piece of TX and the wildlife there is fantastic. I did some reptile research there and it was heaven.
4. Be prepared to drive. There are more public hunting opportunities in the southeast TX area north of Houston and west TX areas than south TX.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me. I know decent bit about the western TX public areas and some about the rest of the state. Don't let the TX pay-to-play culture intimidate you. You can get into game and deer hunt every year, it just takes actual hunting and the opportunities for trophies aren't as high as managed private land.

~Mason

Hey there, I agree with Mason. There are definitely some great opportunities in TX on public lands if you are willing to put in a little scouting and time. This was my week before thanksgiving draw this year.....Couldn't shoot the 12 pointer I saw because I already filled my buck tag on a nice 9 point pictured. I kill deer every year on national forest land as well everything from doe to spikes to nice bucks like the second picture below. Let me know if you need any pointers

IMG_5734.jpgIMG_2644.jpg

Greetings from El Paso, Texas. I put in for the TX public hunts every year. If you're willing to travel, NM has some great opportunities on public land. PM me if you like to share info.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back