PEAX Equipment

New to Colorado

It’s a good state with a ton of opportunity. Get out and start burning some leather. There’s awesome fish, small game, and of course big game. But you need to pick some spots where you might like to hunt and go burn a lot of time in them. Learn the thermals, the animals, the trails, and the people around those spots and you will look up one day and realize you’ve discovered a few honey holes.

I came here from MS 15 yrs ago and if there’s one key to being successful at anything in this state, it’s putting in the time. And you can only really have one or two passions/hobbies.

I used to ski, climb, trail run, fish, hunt and do a lot of social partying. The skiing, climbing, and partying were the first pieces of fat to get trimmed. Now I only fish when I’m not hunting and I still trail run to stay in shape for those two passions. I do my runs before work everyday.

Just strive to make time and don’t waste it on shit that isn’t good for the soul!

Hey all, I'm new to hunt talk and also going to be a new hunter to Colorado this year. I grew up in Texas hunting whitetail and hogs mainly but am interested in getting into as much as Colorado can offer. I am starting with Turkey, Elk, and Mule deer but want to eventually go for bear, pronghorn, and possibly upland game birds. I was hoping to get some information from some more experienced western hunters and I would love to hear from some of yall. Good luck to everyone and I can't wait to dive into this site and the backcountry!
Welcome. I have family and many friends down in Texas.
Headed down there march first for a month to fish OH ivie with my grandfather.
Colorado is full of opportunity.
Feel free to PM me. Look forward to talking with you.

As some have said, tons of opportunities! I just moved from Colorado Springs last summer and already miss it. I plan to go back every year for the OTC archery elk (as long as it’s around anyway).

Hey all, I'm new to hunt talk and also going to be a new hunter to Colorado this year. I grew up in Texas hunting whitetail and hogs mainly but am interested in getting into as much as Colorado can offer. I am starting with Turkey, Elk, and Mule deer but want to eventually go for bear, pronghorn, and possibly upland game birds. I was hoping to get some information from some more experienced western hunters and I would love to hear from some of yall. Good luck to everyone and I can't wait to dive into this site and the backcountry!
Welcome aboard

It’s a good state with a ton of opportunity. Get out and start burning some leather. There’s awesome fish, small game, and of course big game. But you need to pick some spots where you might like to hunt and go burn a lot of time in them. Learn the thermals, the animals, the trails, and the people around those spots and you will look up one day and realize you’ve discovered a few honey holes.

I came here from MS 15 yrs ago and if there’s one key to being successful at anything in this state, it’s putting in the time. And you can only really have one or two passions/hobbies.

I used to ski, climb, trail run, fish, hunt and do a lot of social partying. The skiing, climbing, and partying were the first pieces of fat to get trimmed. Now I only fish when I’m not hunting and I still trail run to stay in shape for those two passions. I do my runs before work everyday.

Just strive to make time and don’t waste it on shit that isn’t good for the soul!
This is the truth right here. I've been using any excuse to get me, and my girlfriend, in the mountains to scout and turkey hunt.

Welcome! There are some great primer videos and articles out there for learning the state draw system. Careful turkey hunting by yourself on public land, I've encountered some real dummies. Especially on heavy snow years like now. All the same hunters and even less open country to squeeze us all into.

Welcome! There are some great primer videos and articles out there for learning the state draw system. Careful turkey hunting by yourself on public land, I've encountered some real dummies. Especially on heavy snow years like now. All the same hunters and even less open country to squeeze us all into.
Thanks for the tip. I found an area that seems to be pretty light, pressure wise, so I'm able to stretch my legs out and make all the dumb mistakes I want without upsetting anyone lol

Thanks for the tip. I found an area that seems to be pretty light, pressure wise, so I'm able to stretch my legs out and make all the dumb mistakes I want without upsetting anyone lol
So did you put in for moose, sheep and Mountain Goat to build points?

So did you put in for moose, sheep and Mountain Goat to build points?
None of those this year. I probably should have. I put in for turkey, elk, mule deer, pronghorn, and black bear. I'll start those next year, most likely. Do you hunt those?

None of those this year. I probably should have. I put in for turkey, elk, mule deer, pronghorn, and black bear. I'll start those next year, most likely. Do you hunt those?
yes, In Colorado, sheep 3 times, two rams and a ewe, Mt. goat twice, Moose 4 times plus one Idaho moose hunt. And elk, deer, antelope and bear more time than can easily count.

Think of it this way, the way our Colorado draw for those 3
species go, you will never draw sooner than the 4th year you apply, so you just made it 5 years by skipping a year.

Put in next year even if not clear if you want to hunt them or not. Waiting to start building points is a huge mistake since it costs very little. So many guys sit on the sidelines cuz they have not developed the itch to hunt them. then the light goes on years later and here they sir at least 4 years our for eligibility to draw. Darn Shame IMO.

Enjoy what Colo has to offer to the fullest. Tried to steer you that way on the 4th post in this thread back on jan 11.

Hope you stick around HT and draw something this year or go OTC. I am a former Texan, what part of west Texas did you moved from?

Last edited:
Also a new hunter here. I'm down in Co. Springs. Got a little .22WMR for taking dinner-sized game, to be roasted same evening by a campfire, and enjoyed with some bourbon. Somehow I haven't found that to be popular in hunting clubs... Which seem to be about taking a huge bull once in a few years, or shooting a truckload full of waterfowl.
But for me it's more like going wilderness camping, and going for a hike shortly after dawn, then again in the evening - but with a rifle, off trail of course, preferably along a little river or near some water. Explore the area, admire the scenery and just enjoy being out there, now and then stop to listen, watch, take it all in - but also see if I can bag something for dinner. Ideally a large bird (easy to dress and cook), but I've found small rabbits and squirrels this way, too. They seem too small to bother dress and roast though, only a few ounces of meat perhaps - so I leave them alone.

Is this an activity someone enjoys, or would like to enjoy?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back