Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New to Shed hunting - Any advice

BraidenR

I had some time last weekend to get out and shake off some of the cabin fever. I have never really done and shed hunting before, accept for one few hour trip last year. I have spent sometime studying about where and when people tend to find sheds, where deer winter, and their winter activities that may lead to finding a shed on purpose. I knew last weekend was going to be a bit early, but I wanted to see if I could find some wintering bucks. I was able to find a few bucks surrounded by by about 75-100 Does. I was viewing them from about 750 yards across canyon, with a hard wind hitting me from the side. I did not attempt to get closer cause I did not want to bump them during this season. However some have already shed. My questions I still have are this.

*Do they usually drop both sheds fairly close to one another? or seeing these two buck packing only one horn should I not assume the one is close and this one will be in the same vicinity when i go back?
*Would you approach the area the same way I did. Viewing the area from 500-600 yards across the canyon using the spotter before crossing the canyon and walking in the area or do you find it better to get over there and closer from the start? (I tried to pick them out with the spotter the other day, but the wind was so hard, I could not keep the spotter still enough to get a look.)
*how long would you think before the other bucks start to drop? Do bigger bucks tend to shed later then their smaller counterparts?

I appreciate any help, comments, or friendly criticism to what I did, so I learn how to find more sheds.

Attachments

• 20200208_201057[1].jpg
    20200208_201057[1].jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 57
  • 20200208_201204[1].jpg
    20200208_201204[1].jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 63
  • 20200208_201233[1].jpg
    20200208_201233[1].jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 62
It seems pretty case by case in terms of when they drop. We've had some around here that have dropped already. I've seen where both antlers fall off almost simultaneously after the deer jumps over a fence or jumps down onto a frozen river from a high bank. But don't listen to me. I haven't found any yet this year. Put 2 miles in on Sunday evening and have nothing to show for it. I'm using it as a way to get some exercise and stuff some weight in my pack and put some miles on the boots!

Looking from afar can be good. Once they move out of the specific area where they linger around you'd be able to slip in there. Back here in the midwest, I just get on a deer trail and start walking. I'll follow deer trails for miles one way, branching off to smaller trails. I've never had amazing success, but an antler here and there is enough to keep me entertained!

I think it just depends on the deer. Nutrition and stress, or lack thereof, probably play a roll too. I have found a pair of 5” spikes together and then a really nice thick beamed single with no mate within miles of walking in circles looking.

But I also just shed hunt to get out and walk in the mountains so maybe I’m missing something. I always take field glasses and have found many on the opposite side of a draw that I would have missed without them.

Those are nice bucks.

found sets touching, found sets 3 miles apart
big ones drop earlier... kinda
groups of bucks drop more or less, as a group Kinda like chics synchronize... you know...
antlers are conductors, not insulators, put a piece of rebar and a piece of firewood on a snow drift, come back in a week, you'll figure it out
when in doubt hike less look more
pretty much all I have learned in 30 years

I’ve found dozens of antlers over the years, and only 1 pair. I try to find groups of bucks, then search what I guess to be their daily routine. Fences and other obstacles they need to jump can cause them to pop off. Beds can also be productive. I’ll spend a little more time scouring an area after I find one antler, but usually I have better luck moving on to the next good looking spot.

If you can train your dog to find them, it feels like cheating...

Just make sure you check your state regs! Many states are instituting a shed season.

That being said I found a matching set of elk antlers laying almost on top of each other 5 feet off a trail on the first rifle season a few years back.

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I was also thinking that Green grass would help to make them stand out. But as you see these bucks were in pretty thick brush, but a hillside next to them was melted off already, and now much in the way of brush, just old grass. I figured they were feeding just around the corner on that hillside, and bedding out of site of others where they were.

I will give it a another week or two, before I go back, Maybe so more snow will melt and the deer will be moving up. If they have, I will get over there, and get scouring every corner.

I am in whitetail country but these things still apply I think.

I'd say you found a spot where there will be some antlers. They say "miles equals piles" but more specifically miles in a good location equals piles. If I know the deer are using an area my miles are zig zagged within a quarter mile square area.

Here I'll cover the same good areas several times. I have to beat the squirrels to them so I tend to start a bit early. Found the first one on December 29th this year but only 5 since in 4 trips and a lot of deer still packing.

I like looking in the thick stuff...it really helps you focus close to where your feet are and keeps your eyes from wandering.

Cloudy days are better. Damp and cloudy even better.

I had never heard this? Why is that?
It gives contrast to what your eyes see, the texture of vegetation is softer edged, the antler harder edged with a distinctive shine to it after a rain. But the best day for shed hunting is every day you can go... without getting arrested. Wet days the dog can really pick up the scent from down wind on the old ones. Ive seen him turn into the wind and go 20 yards straight to one

View attachment 128162

It gives contrast to what your eyes see, the texture of vegetation is softer edged, the antler harder edged with a distinctive shine to it after a rain. But the best day for shed hunting is every day you can go... without getting arrested. Wet days the dog can really pick up the scent from down wind on the old ones. Ive seen him turn into the wind and go 20 yards straight to one

View attachment 128162

This...and yes...go every chance you get. Hope to get out this weekend.
Good luck!

Oak you bad dog just picked up golf last May for that reason wasn’t worth my time picking up scraps in Nevada with the season they implemented in 18. Ya golf is easier to obtain than tags or sheds in Nevada.

I appreciate any/and all advice. Went back to the same location last saturday. zigzagged up and down that canyon for a few hours after glassing from the other side. Didnt find anything buy another individuals tracks. The deer were making their way uphill following the snow, but still on the south facing slopes that were melted. Didnt see any bucks, unless they have all shed by this time. Its been three weeks since I was last there. Not sure if I did anything wrong, or if someone just beat me to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back