Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New to elk hunting.

My daughter asked to do an elk hunt and she’s 19 so if I can spend some time with her in the mountains then I’m going. If we kill something great…if not oh well. I’ll still remember it as a good time.
^^ This.

After our trip in November, I've got pictures with my dad in some of the most gorgeous country you can imagine. For a couple of country boys that grew up on a cotton farm in Alabama to being in the backwoods of the mountains climbing over downfalls and stumbling into mountain meadows all we can say is "Whoda thunk!?"

Hunting Elk is a blast. Then you kill one and you think oh no what have I done?!? Getting this thing out of here is going to be hell!
Our group of 6 got 2 bulls and 1 cow down on the same day.
We voted to never do that again.

Hunting Elk is a blast. Then you kill one and you think oh no what have I done?!? Getting this thing out of here is going to be hell!
Our group of 6 got 2 bulls and 1 cow down on the same day.
We voted to never do that again.
That’s wild, but yeah I think one at a time would be a good idea. I learned that on whitetails hunting two miles into a swamp. Killed a doe and the buck chasing her. I won’t do that again either. Especially on something that big.

Just a thought if you've never been out west it might be worth picking something like an antelope or deer hunt in a flatter unit. You can car camp and run around out west to get a feel for checking maps and looking at distances.

Elk hunting is awesome and in my limited opinion I find that it's more about fitness than anything else. When I started elk hunting I was a rock climbing guide and a wildland firefighter and just being able to move on the mountain with them was the biggest thing for me in terms of success.

Some folks come out west and crush it some don't. But I would say physical fitness would be the number one limiting factor in people that I've seen come out west, especially if you're going to try to go get in there home country for a week.

Even what people would call a "flatter" unit you can do plenty of up and down hiking and wear yourself out
Conditioning months in advance is key for Elk hunting. I have done several elk hunts. You will be hiking and climbing.

Any tips on how to prepare for the altitude?
I think setting up learning your area for a day or two, start easy, also the fitter the better.

An instructor for my wilderness first responder course who was in med school got altitude sickness badly skiing and went to a "hokey tourist trap" oxygen bar in Colorado, said it was the same treatment you'd get in the hospital with a lower bill😂🤷

Sounds like you're on the right track! Do your research and be careful not to get in over your head. An elk is not a small animal to be killing 10's of miles deep without proper prior planning. Good luck!

Sounds like you're on the right track! Do your research and be careful not to get in over your head. An elk is not a small animal to be killing 10's of miles deep without proper prior planning. Good luck!
Agreed! Definitely going to put limits on myself until I get some experience! It’s looking like a cow hunt in a very small unit with moderate elevation is going to be our first hunt. Odds are great for tags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back