Caribou Gear Tarp

New Tire Opinions

Hammsolo

I am on the hunt for the elusive “one rifle” of tires. I have a Colorado ZR2, and use it for everything. I do actually off-road it for fun, and drive it daily. I toe a smaller camp trailer also.

What tires should I look at? Why?

There are quite a few semi-recent tire threads you could search. They're not the $$ value they used to be but I really, really like the Falken Wildpeak (3pmsf) for a do-it-all rocky mountain states tire. Dynapro's are maybe a value comp. depending on your retail options, they are OK, have some currently. If my next set is not Wildpeak it will be Duratrac.

I prioritize snow performance and currently have Duratracs, which are probably my favorite off road capable tire for snow and some mud. The Falkens are great too, as are the Cooper AT3 and BFG Ko2. I’ve had a set of Cooper S/T Maxx too, and they were also good.

i basically jsut drop my truck off at wherever i'm getting my tires changed and say "what's the median priced AT? okay slap it on there. thanks"

i think i have at3's on there right now? they're doing good. they rocked the 1st rifle mud fest last fall.

My last two sets have been General Grabber AT2 followed by General Grabber ATX. Very happy with both. ATX took the place of the discontinued AT2. Both were 3peak rated snow tires. Excellent tire wear, very little pavement noise. Good in any terrain.
I'm on a set of Sumatomo Encounter AT because the General Grabbers were on back order with no fulfillment date. Just under 10k on these Sumatomo and very pleased. I'll likely buy them again.
They're LT275/65R20 load rated E.

I’d look real hard at the Falkens. There’s a lot of guying using them around here and I’ve yet to hear anything negative. I put a set of cooper AT3 xlt’s on last spring and I’m not impressed with the tire or Tirerama. I experienced some pretty good checking on sidewall on 3 out of the 4 tires within two months. I took them in and was told it’s no big deal and don’t worry about it. It probably won’t cause any problems but that’s not what I expect out of an $1100 set of tires….

I've had BFG Ko2's for 6 years. Two different sets. Love them. Have never had one flat...until I drove through Denver this past fall on the interstate on a Friday at 5:00 pm during peak rush hour. I guess they don't do well with random 8 inch steel spikes laying around down there :ROFLMAO:

Side note, I was absolutely amazed at the amount of garbage/debris on the sides of the road there. It's incredible.

I can’t speak to any real snow performance but we can get in as much mud as anywhere. I’ve had cooper at3’s and they were good. Last set was Nitto ridge grapplers (look great, best selling tires at the time) they were not impressive off road or in the rain. I went back to ko2’s a couple months ago. I don’t feel like they are the best at anything but pretty decent at everything, I put ~85 miles a day on my truck and can’t justify a mud tire.

I amazed my hunting passenger last weekend with the amount of snow I was able to go through. And he is a tire salesman. I have Toyo M/Ts- great for off roading and should be ok for towing, but will not be high mileage tires. High mileage and great off road are pretty mutually exclusive.
I have had duratracs in the past which are good daily’s and towing but not super for off road.

I have had Toyo Open Country AT3's on my Colorado for about a year now. Im pretty happy with them. They aren't the greatest highway tire but traction is really really good offroad and in snow. I had Cooper AT3's on before the Toyo's and they were solid too. Maybe a little more 50/50 tire. They wore kinda funny tho and would start to howl pretty bad if I didn't rotate them about every 2500 miles or so.

I can’t speak to any real snow performance but we can get in as much mud as anywhere. I’ve had cooper at3’s and they were good. Last set was Nitto ridge grapplers (look great, best selling tires at the time) they were not impressive off road or in the rain. I went back to ko2’s a couple months ago. I don’t feel like they are the best at anything but pretty decent at everything, I put ~85 miles a day on my truck and can’t justify a mud tire.
Have a set of Nitto currently. As you said, they are not impressive off road, in the rain, or on damp grass.
They look good but that is about it.
I will say they are okay enough on the dry snow here in CO, back in KY they were terrible. Different snow, different traction I guess

It's nice to see that there are people happy about the money they spent on Toyo Opn Country tires. I had a set several years ago that I replaced before they were halfway worn. Any wet pavement and it was like driving on ball bearings. Saying they provided piss poor traction would be an insult to piss.

I run BFG KO2s on both of my trucks. Duratracs are good, but loud. KO2s are good in the snow and have enough grip when you need it off road.
My experience over the last few years has been with these two tires. I've gone through a couple sets of Duratracs on my work vehicle and seen dozens of fellow worker's vehicles with them. They are a very capable off road, good in the mud, and very good when aired down over rocks. My only complaint is on road noise and wear trouble. I found it is imperative to rotate often, if you let em go too long the wear patterns will quickly chew up the inside of front tires. I saw many other employees with severe wear damage that they did not notice on front tires.
I've had a couple sets of what the tire shop calls "Dad tires" the BFG KO2s on my personal truck. The BFGs wear much better and are quieter on road. For what I do off road, mainly mud and rocky off road trails they perform just fine.

I run two sets of wheels and tires and swap between a set of 18s I use for towing 8500lbs and the set of Toyos for off rd.
Most good performing off rd tires wear like crap on the street and daily.
I have a third set of something’s or other that if a set is damaged I can go back to stock.

Falken Wildpeaks for a rig used as a daily driver, FS roads and the occasional log/skid trail and some crazy rock laden roads. Snowflake rated and excellent on wet roads and fine in the snow. Completely satisfied.

I had a set of Duratracs and was. NOT impressed with sidewall durability or road noise.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back