New Setup!

MVRK28

Picked up my new setup yesterday! This is my first hunting set up of my own, have always just used the guns left to my brothers and I by my father or a loaner from my father in law. I was pretty excited to finally purchase my own rifle, that I may pass down some day to my children.

The search began with electing a caliber. I wanted accuracy above all else, as well as a lightweight packable setup with medium knock down power. It came down to three options, the .308, 7mm Mag and the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a pipe dream of hunting Elk in the near future, but California has a pretty weak herd and trying to get a hunting buddy to pay the money for a non-res tag in other states has been a challenge. With this in mind and knowing I won't be hunting very large deer (we have mostly medium sized black tails in my area) I opted for the 6.5 Creedmoor. The other calibers seemed to be too much for my primary purpose of this rifle. Also, knowing I was using a round with low recoil, I could opt for a pretty lightweight rifle.

I did a lot of research and all of it kept leading me back to the Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed. I wanted a rugged gun that could handle the abuse of the back country while maintaining a backpack friendly weight that would allow me to run a slightly heavier/rugged optic. The synthetic stock and cerakote were definite pluses in the rugged category.

For the optic, I opted to run Nightforce, the SHV to be exact. I went with the 4-14x50mm model with First Focal Plane MOAR reticle. I stuck with Nightforce for the rings, selecting the Xtreme Duty Ultra Light rings. I am running a Warne 2 piece rail.

I added a Butler Creek sling for when I am not using my pack, I don't know why but it was incredibly hard to select a sling!

I will get it zero'd in on Saturday at my local range and see how far out I can take it. Planning to sight it in with Hornady 143 Grain Precision Hunter ammunition.

gun2.jpggun1.jpg

Nice gun. I am thrilled with mine. Look at putting it u one of those cabelas pelican cases.

I was looking at the Plano All Weather case, I might pick one up in the future.

Great choice in caliber and nice rifle!! Is that the butler creek neoprene sling? Not to be a downer but I gave mine away. It bounced around WAY to much when hiking.

I have an x bolt stainless stalker and love it to death. BY FAR my favorite factory rifle because of the magazine, tang safety, and short bolt throw and I want to replace my current 25.06 model 700 with an x bolt. Do you plan on keeping the muzzle break on the 6.5 man bun?

Nice rifle!!

308, 7mm Rem Mag, or 6.5 Manbun.. There's 3 different levels of recoil.

Probably would have gone the 28 Nosler myself...

I've got a hells canyon 28 nosler on its way to my FFL right now, seeing this is driving me crazy. Now just to figure out what scope to put on it.

I have one in .308, and have found myself carrying it more than anything else I own over the last two years. The stock carries extremely well, and the short bolt throw lets you follow up shots quickly. And damn if they don't look sweet!

Very nice setup!! Good luck putting it to use.

Since the conversation turned to slings, the best I've ever used is the Montana Sling. Doesn't hurt that the inventer/maker of them is an occasional poster here.

http://www.montanagunslings.com/

Boy that first sling is a beauty! Out of my price range though. :-( Been looking round for a good military sling, hard to fine where I live.

MVRK28, great setup all the way around. I've have all those calibers and from your description of your needs, that rifle will serve you well. Great scope too, Nightforce has great glass and turrets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back