New Scope

I was in the market for a VX-5HD when I bought my Tikka this year. I did alot of research and tried to be objective about it. I considered the sources of information and tried to research those.

My goals were to get a scope that worked and I valued reliability over glass. I wanted the scope to do what it was supposed to do time and time again.

I ended up with a SWFA SS in 6x with the mil-quad reticle. The scope isn't light. The glass is pretty decent. The turrets have a satisfying click when twisted.

I removed every bit of oil from the Sportsmatch (T084) rings and rifle. Then mounted them on the rifle with blue loctite and nail polish.

The combo will put 10 rounds in almost 3/4" of an inch at 100 yards. When I adjust the dial, the rounds move where they are supposed to. It's repeatable. It works as expected. 20190829_122329.jpg20190829_122339.jpg

I don't have many options to shoot, more than 100 yards, but I'll know more once I work that out. I plan on working up the dope this way: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...w-swfa-scope-reticle-turrets-and-proper-usage

Hope this helps.

That group will hunt.

I thought so too. Way happy with this combo. I just need a good deer to try it out on.

That particular group started with a cold barrel. 30 seconds to 2 minutes between shots.... shoot, map shot, record velocity, start aiming again, shoot.... however long that takes.

It hasn't been very picky about ammo either. I am tickled with the combo.

I was in the market for a VX-5HD when I bought my Tikka this year. I did alot of research and tried to be objective about it. I considered the sources of information and tried to research those.

My goals were to get a scope that worked and I valued reliability over glass. I wanted the scope to do what it was supposed to do time and time again.

I ended up with a SWFA SS in 6x with the mil-quad reticle. The scope isn't light. The glass is pretty decent. The turrets have a satisfying click when twisted.

I removed every bit of oil from the Sportsmatch (T084) rings and rifle. Then mounted them on the rifle with blue loctite and nail polish.

The combo will put 10 rounds in almost 3/4" of an inch at 100 yards. When I adjust the dial, the rounds move where they are supposed to. It's repeatable. It works as expected. View attachment 123587View attachment 123588

I don't have many options to shoot, more than 100 yards, but I'll know more once I work that out. I plan on working up the dope this way: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...w-swfa-scope-reticle-turrets-and-proper-usage

Hope this helps.

Lookin good! What stock is that on your Tikka?

I will second the Krylon Fusion. I have painted 4 guns and none of them have scratched. I did use a flat clear coat over the top of the paint though. That may help you with the scratching on the Rustoleum too.

Woodrow, going from a X5HD and it's attendant power range to a fixed 6 is a jump and I'm glad it works for you. As for the OP's query I still like the Viper/Leupold variable route.

Woodrow, going from a X5HD and it's attendant power range to a fixed 6 is a jump and I'm glad it works for you. As for the OP's query I still like the Viper/Leupold variable route.

They make variables.

I went this route because I figured there is less to break and simpler to learn to shoot. I'm sure, I'll lose some range, but I should be fine fore the distances I plan to hunt... less than 500 yards. If Elmer Keith can finish off a mule deer at 600 yards with a 4" barreled .44 mag, I should be able to shoot one at 400 with a 6x scope..... I hope.

They make variables.

I went this route because I figured there is less to break and simpler to learn to shoot. I'm sure, I'll lose some range, but I should be fine fore the distances I plan to hunt... less than 500 yards. If Elmer Keith can finish off a mule deer at 600 yards with a 4" barreled .44 mag, I should be able to shoot one at 400 with a 6x scope..... I hope.

Elmer would be staked to an ant bed on today's hunting forums. Grin

I had a VXII on my T3. Took it off and put on a Nikon Black X 1000 with MOA illuminated reticle. Reticle and good clear glass are the most important to me. I took it elk hunting and although I found no elk, the scope was everything I had hoped it would be. I am getting another rifle in 30 cal and am shopping for a scope. I was going to put on another Black x 1000 and still may do so. Some friends who are into coyote hunting and LRP have convinced me to take a hard look at a horus reticle.

The combo will put 10 rounds in almost 3/4" of an inch at 100 yards. When I adjust the dial, the rounds move where they are supposed to. It's repeatable. It works as expected. View attachment 123587View attachment 123588

Hope this helps.

Sorry, having a hard time with this. Did you move the adjustment's dials here? Usually those little box's are 1" sq and just from looking and comparing to the box's, the group is a bit over an inch. Good group though! Measuring with a ruler on the screen, the square's are 1 1/2". Widest part of the group seem's to be just under 1 3/4" outside to inside.

Sorry, having a hard time with this. Did you move the adjustment's dials here? Usually those little box's are 1" sq and just from looking and comparing to the box's, the group is a bit over an inch. Good group though! Measuring with a ruler on the screen, the square's are 1 1/2". Widest part of the group seem's to be just under 1 3/4" outside to inside.

No. The dials weren't adjusted here.

When measuring group size, you are trying to measure center to center. You measure the two futhest apart at the furthest outside diameter. Then subtract the bullet diameter. That's the group size. I measured with a RCBS caliper and subracted the bullet diameter.

If you measure the od to od, you get the numbers you were getting.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back