New Scope on a Budget

teej89

Alright guys I'm looking for a scope for the Tikka T3 30-06 I just bought... it'll be mostly for deer and elk.

However... I don't really want to go spending thousands because I'm also in the process of ordering the rest of my equipment for hunting out west this year. Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll be living out there, fingers crossed.

Anywho, what would you guys recommend?? I'm thinking a 3-9x40 or should I look at a 4.5-14x50, but from what I read people say the 3-9 will be plenty.

Thanks!
T.J.

Last edited:
The 3x9 is plenty imho. My 06 has been wearing one for 20 years and killed a lot of elk and mule deer in Oregon. I am setting two rifles up for my kids and 3x9's will be topping them.

A 3x9 will do what you want and are usually cheaper than the higher mag scopes. Spend as much as you can afford, as cheap glass is the best way to end a rough hunt.

3-9x40 would be enough.

Better glass = better light transmissions. What is your budget for the scope? I run alot of 3.5-14 or 4-12's just for the extra magnification at the range. I typically hunt in the 6 power and adjust as required.

You can spend 100 bucks or 1000+, seeing clearly is better then just having to deal with a crummy scope. Quality rings, mounted correctly are also very important.

3X9X40 will serve you well.
The least expensive 3X9 I would put on a deer/elk rifle;

Burris FF II 3X9X40.

Advice, see the Predator Optics ad logo in the optics section, and call Pat.
He will have good suggestions and treat you well.

Schmalts (Pat) has a deal on the new VX-3i 4.5-14x40 if he has any left. They were $400 and you need to give him a write up on the scope.

There was also a VX2 3-9 for $230 bucks Beartooth83 was selling on here. Killer deal if he still has it. I went for the VX-3i instead.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=267026

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and pick up some aftermarket rings for that Tikka. I use the Talley lightweights on mine and love them. I have had a 3-9x40 Zeiss on my Tikka 30-06 and it has never let me down. It is the Conquest model, I actually think they discontinued it but the Zeiss Terra line looks good for the price, or maybe even a good Leupold Vx2 if you want to save some $$. I agree with checking with Schmalts, I have one of those Vx3i's on the way from him as well. My T3 in 06 is about to get an upgrade in glass.

Last edited:
Leupold fixed 6 power. Simple, tough, and light. As soon as I get the scratch together I'd like to put on one my Ruger 338 Win Mag.

Leupold VX I 3-9x40 It will do anything you need and the price will not break the bank.

I would go leupold if you can, my '06 wears a VX-1 and is a tack driver. I recently bought a cabelas 4-12x40 on sale. It was only 50 bucks, regular 200, and I was impressed with the quality, but haven't had time to get it sighted in. it went on a Howa in 7 mag.

You will never go wrong with a 3-9x40. A VX2 will not break your budget. I would suggest jumping all over Beartooth83's scope for that price. I have a VX2 on my .300 win mag and it holds up to the recoil and the clarity is amazing and I can still hit a gong at 550 yards at 9 power.

Do yourself a favor and pick up some aftermarket rings for that Tikka. I use the Talley lightweights on mine and love them. I have had a 3-9x40 Zeiss on my Tikka 30-06 and it has never let me down. It is the Conquest model, I actually think they discontinued it but the Zeiss Terra line looks good for the price, or maybe even a good Leupold Vx2 if you want to save some $$. I agree with checking with Schmalts, I have one of those Vx3i's on the way from him as well. My T3 in 06 is about to get an upgrade in glass.
What he said.

Schmalts (Pat) has a deal on the new VX-3i 4.5-14x40 if he has any left. They were $400 and you need to give him a write up on the scope.

There was also a VX2 3-9 for $230 bucks Beartooth83 was selling on here. Killer deal if he still has it. I went for the VX-3i instead.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=267026

I reached out to both of them, $400 is the upper third of my budget, i was thinking up to 600.

The only downfall I see about that people talk about of the 4.5-14 over the 3-9 is the weight but it's only 2oz... Hopefully schmalts still has the VX-3i's because I'll probably end up with that.

Thanks! I read that the mounts for the Tikkas are junk and to get something aftermarket.

Worrying about a few ounces of weight on a scope is ridiculous. One thing to remember is that the lighter the scope, the lighter it is built. That is why Night Force scopes, SWFA and some others have the rep that they do-they are built heavy to take whatever is dished to them.

SWFA is pretty reasonable and some of the others are pretty high-dollar, but they stand up. I have Leupold, but will not buy any that are turret spinners. Too many failures.

On a budget, the standard Leupolds (non-spinners) will do OK for you, as will Bushnell Elite, Burris, Nikon etc.

Alright so I'm between the VX-2, the VX-3i or the VX-3i with the side focus, any justification to go to the side focus for the extra $80? And if you could afford the VX-3's you'd say it's worth the extra change over the VX-2?

.....vx3i 1", dual erectors, no side focus, no 30mm rings....keep it simple...JMO

Last edited:
Back