Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Scenerio

B

bcat

Ok heres a new one. It is slightly after daybreak and ya spot some elk on a hillside 600 yards away. Traveling on foot, you have a route that the elk cant see ya making the sneak. Ya figure it will take an hour to get close enuff for the shot. Do ya set up with your 338 and make the shot at 600 yards, or do ya take the chance the elk wont wander into the woods headed toward their daytime bedding, and make a sneak on em!!!!! Remeber it is daylight and the elk are in the open at the present time. Timber is very close to the elk. No one else is in sight, but shots have been fired that you can hear, so ya know the elk can hear em. ????bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

Boykin's Hunting Homepage
HuntAndLodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

I'm with Elkhunter, I would close the gap. Even with a 338 thats along shot and I would like to be within 300 yards because thats were I feel comfortable with my shooting skills. If all I could get within was 400 if I had a good high percentage shot then I would consider taking it. Thats where I feel comfortable, though I know others may feel comfortable longer. The gun may do the job, I would be afraid fo human error and make a bad shot and possibly wound an animal. I have a hard time living with that.

------------------
Live to Hunt-Terry aka Coydog.
coyote4.gif

Im with you guys, I cant consistently hit much beyond 400yards.

Since I have never shot an elk, but would REALLY like to, You would probably get to see the fastest belly crawl in the history of man!!!
biggrin.gif

bcat, That's not fair. You give me this great opportunity, then you hang the 338 on me. With a 338, I would certainly try to close the range to 400 yards or less. Now, if I have my rifle, and a little high ground to set up on, I take the 600 yard shot if there is a special bull in the group. If they are average Elk and I am down to the last day and the freezer is empty, I probably pass and keep looking. Or I take the shot. I don't know. It would depend on more conditions than what you have listed. Probably becasue I know that the minute I shoot the average bull, a 400 point monster would walk out to see what all of the racket is about.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

------------------
Dan AZ www.huntandlodge.com

I would try to get closer and if they moved into the timber to bed down, I,d get the wind in my favor set up and wait till dark, or whenever legal shooting hours ended.
smile.gif
might try coaxing em a little with some cow calls, all one would have to do is stick his head out.
smile.gif

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

IF IT WAS EASY EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOING IT !!!

QUITTERS NEVER WIN AND WINNERS NEVER QUIT
http://www.hunttalk.com

Bcat I can't see that far with Bino's around my neck! Dog gone Boy, I guess I am gonna worm my way in closer through the trees or figure something out to get my shot. I would have to make one of those relay shots! You know shoot twice at 300 yards ha ha. If that don't work I will call the Chopper Copter place at Jonesboro up and have Your buddy bring that cannon on wheels. I am getting me that elk all there is to it.

If its a big bull I would take the shot I get along with my 338 just fine. But if it is some cows I will hold off. I f***** up one time just like that it was a six x six at about five hundred yards and I tried to get closer. But when I got closer they weren't there. I take the shot!!!!

Cathunt

Heck bcat, I'd just "pattern" the stupid things and head for where I know they're gonna be. What's so hard about that????

------------------
cros_anm.gif

Deacon-You had to bring that up again
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I have seen this scenerio work out several times. Usually after it is light they head for the timber. Alot of variables was left out of this one so you can use your own imagination. Chances are if it takes an hour to get in range the elk will be gone. Remeber, shots have been fired so the elk are nervous already. Not at them but within hearing. Chances are you wont get in range before they are in the timber. Chances are ya wont sneak up on them in the timber either, depending on the conditions of course. If it was evening, and ya had an hour before dark, in the same scenerio, you could pull it off, but morning would be very tricky. I dont believe I would shoot at them tho with my 338, at 600 yards unless the conditions were PERFECT and I could do it without a shadow of a doubt!!!! Best thing to do is figure where they would be at dusk!!! MY OPINION! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

Boykin's Hunting Homepage
HuntAndLodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

I once belonged to a range in Spokane, along the river, that had a rifle range out to 600 yds. Had to fly a special flag to let all members know that someone was shooting long range. I sat at that range enough times to know that I would never take that shot. I am just not capable of consistently hitting a kill zone area at 600 yds, let alone under field conditions. That shot is not for me!

Westman

Would have to pass. I have to try to get closer for all of the same reasons stated above. I just can't shoot (see?) that far. If they are gone try again the next day and be closer earlier.

Awww... Bcat do I havta use yer .338? Can I trade it in for Chambo's WBY.300, a grassy knoll, good rest, perfect conditions etc. As long as you swear its only 600yds. ( I personally have difficulty judging over 500 w/o the rangefinder) ...and whats on it for scope, wheres she sighted in for? What kinda groups does she shoot at 400? These smallish details I must know...
biggrin.gif
Sparkman375 (no, I wouldn't use my .375)

Our shooting range here goes out to 400. I practiced at 400 with the gun I'm bringing on my WY hunt for deer. I felt real comfortable at 300 but at 400 it was a little more challenging. So I never have shot past 400 yards and probably never will. I like being close to the game. I've done 75% of my big game hunting in the last 14 years or so with a muzzleloader and am used to having to get close. Even with a rifle most of game I've taken and shots for that matter have been under 200 yards. Don't ask me what this has to do with the topic, guess I'm just rambling again. Fighting boredom is another good excuse.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Live to Hunt-Terry aka Coydog.
coyote4.gif

I`d have to move up a couple hundred yards to be in an area where I would feel comfortable. If they were gone I would not feel as bad as I would if I screwed up a long shot on a good bull. I would then try to hunt them in the timber. My chances are just as good in there as with the long shot.

It's a "no brainer" for me! While I don't always know my limits, I know that this is beyond mine!!!Any game animal deserves the right to a clean,quick,humane death. To much can happen on a shot that long, and most of it "bad".
Also,last but not least, I'd never get my wife to give me her .338!! Plus the stock is too short anyway!!hehe-memtb

Morn' Deacon, I just read all of the post and saw yours. I was thinking the same thing. If they're near timber,chances are they'll move upwind into the thick stuff.It would be a good time to work on one's stalking skills.-memtb

600 is just to far, now if you said 450 I'de do it. 500 and I'de be mighty tempted, but not 600.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back