New rifle?????

Goldtip

OK guys, thinking about a new rifle and wanting something light weight, or at least reasonably so. Have a couple of 30cals and a 325 wsm for the heavier stuff, also have a 25-06 and a 223 for the lighter stuff. Am thinking along the lines of something more middle road like a 7mm-08. Was thinking about a Tikka T3 lite in 7mm08 or maybe even 6.5x55 wearing a Leupold 2.5x8 VXIII to help keep weight down. I know I could get lighter with the Browning TI or the Remington TI, but also with a significant price jump. Any thoughts from the Hunt talkers?

The Tikka sounds about right if that's the weight/price range you have i mind...have you considered 270WSM?

The tikka's are nice, but one thing to consider on them is that they only make them in a standard action length. So if you're buying a 7-08, you'll be carrying around extra action that you don't need. So if I were going tikka I'd look at a 270 first.
Also pretty sure you can't get the 6.5x55 in the states, but not positive.

If you wanted to stay with something in a short action, go play with a Kimber and see how they float your boat. More money, but not as bad as the TI's.

Good choice on the scope...the gun only shoots as good as the sights. I'd go with a 7mm-08 because I watched a kid shoot a cow elk with it and I don't know anything about the 6.5 x 55. As far as keeping the weight down...I'd look for a light weight stock with what ever brand of gun you think shoots the best. I personally like a brand that offers an adjustable trigger pull. I've read a lot of accuracy is lost on a hard trigger pull.

The tikka's are nice, but one thing to consider on them is that they only make them in a standard action length. So if you're buying a 7-08, you'll be carrying around extra action that you don't need. So if I were going tikka I'd look at a 270 first.
Also pretty sure you can't get the 6.5x55 in the states, but not positive.

If you wanted to stay with something in a short action, go play with a Kimber and see how they float your boat. More money, but not as bad as the TI's.

You're right Randy, you'd have to go to an A7 to get a short action. 6 1/2 lbs...pretty nice rifle in the $700 tange.

I was thinking about the Sako A7 as well, but know little about them. The reviews online seem pretty good.

Anything in the 6.5 cal is a great rifle. 6.5x55, 260, 264, 6.5x284 Lots of high bc bullets. low recoil
You can get the t3 in 6.5x55 check out gunbroker.com

Anything in the 6.5 cal is a great rifle. 6.5x55, 260, 264, 6.5x284 Lots of high bc bullets. low recoil
You can get the t3 in 6.5x55 check out gunbroker.com

Huh you can, that would be a sweet little rifle.
I thought they were the same as the .260 and only released in Europe.

I just bought a new savage 111 fcns accutrigger,accustock,freefloated barrel,floating bolt head,and proper headspacing for $560.00 out the door.I have never owned a savage before unil now I must say this is the best built factory riffle in that price range I have seen.Ussualy I buy tikka,700's, or weatherby this gun is right with them.Wether it makes a difference or not the savage magazin is all metal where as the tikka has a polymer mag.I have not shot the riffle yet but I will post pics as soon as I do.

The Winchester Featherlight sounds like the market type of rifle you are looking into. Comes in 7mm-08 as well as .308

I'm with Randy on the Tikka. The idea of a short action cartridge in a long action seems bass ackwards. The big leap I'd have to get over with on either the T3 or A7 are the detachable mags. Not sure if I could learn to like them. If I were wanting a light rifle, I'd be rolling the dice on a Kimber. But, if it was narrowed down to the T3 or A7, I'd go A7. The price on them seems to be coming down.

Back