Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

new rifle suggestions

Sorry for disrupting your original intent here.

If I were in your shoes would try and lay my hands on the following rifles.

- Tikka T3x Stainless
- Bergara B14 Hunter
- Rem 700 Mountain SS
- Kimber Hunter
- Howa/Newberg special (not sure when they will be available)
- Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness
- Browning X-bolt Stalker

All of them are going to be reasonably light, plenty accurate, and with some looking all fall into your price range. Once you handle them, one is probably going to stand out for you. They don't all have the same features, so pay attention to the details.
He pretty much listed ones that I was going to recommend. Great minds think alike. The Howa/Newberg Special will probably be at least double the $800 since it is an HS Precision rifle and I am not sure if they are going to go with VX-3is, VX-5HDs or VX-6s, but you wouldn't have to worry about finding a high quality scope it would come with one unlike many of the combos. The Howa KUIU rifles would be lightweight, have a camo stock with a cerakoted barrel/action. There is a Weatherby Vanguard First Lite (camo stock with tan cerakote barreled action and muzzle brake) in 6.5 CM for $807 and a Savage Model 110 High Country with Accufit (I know you said you wanted something that wasn't like your Savage that you have, not sure if the one you have is an AXIS or an older model 110 or 111?) in 6.5 CM for $863 on Bud's GunShop respectively. I was extremely happy to find a deal on there where I saved over $300 on the NEW Savage Model 110 Long Range Hunter in .300 WSM ($560 vs $882) that I have on layaway. Can't wait to get it, but I still have to save some $$ for a proper scope for it.
Hopefully you can find a sporting goods store/gun shop where you can take your seemingly growing list and handle each rifle to get a feel for them and see which one fits you the best. Have fun on your new rifle purchase journey Robertsj22. Look forward to what you decide on.

Don’t overlook the “used” market either. Last year I picked up a Rem 700 BDL in .3006, the gun looked brand new and the wood was perfect. Turns out someone had bought it for a hunt, sighted it in and never went so it just stayed in the safe. Had a brand new 4-12 X leopold scope too

If I was in the market for a factory .308 hunting rifle one of these would probably be my first choice. Smooth actions that are Rem700 footprint so all the aftermarket stuff is available and a 1 MOA guarantee.
I have the Ridge in 6.5cm and my buddy has a Ridge in 7RM, they are both excellent shooters.
The .308 comes with a 22" barrel and weighs around 7lbs.

If I was in the market for a factory .308 hunting rifle one of these would probably be my first choice. Smooth actions that are Rem700 footprint so all the aftermarket stuff is available and a 1 MOA guarantee.
I have the Ridge in 6.5cm and my buddy has a Ridge in 7RM, they are both excellent shooters.
The .308 comes with a 22" barrel and weighs around 7lbs.

View attachment 109909

View attachment 109910
I would have to agree with these two choices. In my search for a firearm larger than my .270 preferably a .30 cal these were on my list, especially the B-14 Hunter since it is less $$$ but also has a nice synthetic stock for a more all weather gun for going out west. My only other rifle my late 90s Savage Model 110 in .270 Win has a nice wooden stock on it, with plenty of character giving scratches on it. I was looking at .308, .30-06, and .300 WSM and leaned more toward the .300 WSM and Bergara doesn't offer a rifle in that caliber. If I would have decided on .308 Win this, the Tikka T3x and Howa 1500 would have been in my Top 5. It is nice that they use the Rem 700 since there is so much aftermarket parts, rings, etc.. for those actions.

Winchester mod 70
That one is also hard to beat. My Dad has had one in 300 Win Mag since 79 that has put down plenty of deer and my youngest brother's .270 is also one that he has had for 16 years and it is a laser beam that has taken plenty of deer. Neither of them are stainless or cerakoted like he wants, but they definitely work. Winchester does make an All Weather model.

That one is also hard to beat. My Dad has had one in 300 Win Mag since 79 that has put down plenty of deer and my youngest brother's .270 is also one that he has had for 16 years and it is a laser beam that has taken plenty of deer. Neither of them are stainless or cerakoted like he wants, but they definitely work. Winchester does make an All Weather model.

I have a M70 extreme weather in 30-06 and absolutely love it, I kept an eye out on gunbroker and picked it up used for about $800...my wife hunts with a Rem Model7 SS in 7mm-08 that is also a nice gun

I HAVE THE ALL weather in .270.it is a nail driver . only issue it is almost to beautiful to hunt with.;)

I HAVE THE ALL weather in .270.it is a nail driver . only issue it is almost to beautiful to hunt with.;)
Nice that is sometimes a good problem to have. Haha ... My Dad also has a M70 Featherweight in .243, the checkering work on those is amazing and at least in my eyes and my Dad's that is the best looking gun out there. He paid $400 in the early 90s, now the same gun is over $800.

I have a M70 extreme weather in 30-06 and absolutely love it, I kept an eye out on gunbroker and picked it up used for about $800...my wife hunts with a Rem Model7 SS in 7mm-08 that is also a nice gun
What a great find indeed. I surfed Gunbroker for days on end usually looking for a deal on .300 WSMs, .308s and 22-250s and their were some, but I would either miss it or I just didn't have the $$$ they ended up going for. So I found the deal on the rifle that I have on layaway on BudsGunShop. Saved over $300 on a new Savage Model 110 Long Range Hunter with the Accufit stock in .300 WSM, plus I have it on a 90 Day layaway and I don't think GunBroker does that. I was hesitant because of the weight at 8.4 lbs, but the deal was too good to pass up even sight unseen. Then two days ago I got to hold the .300 Win Mag version of the same gun and they weight is not as bad as I was thinking it would be. So now I am excited to eventually get her off layaway in a couple months. Have to find the right scope to pair with her. I am glad that you and your wife found the right rifles that fit you and that you enjoy. Good luck this season.

Get a tikka 300 Win Mag Have a profesionall put A muzzle break on it . And You will never need another Gun, Some of You guys make so much stresss about nothing.Life is easy. Listen to us old guys ,Save You lotta time....... Very simple And get a good scope. 700 to 900 $ range .DONE...BOB!

so fellas i have my next dilemma, i was thinking 308 or 6.5. i do have a 7mm-08 and love it. im wondering what caliber i should buy. i do have a sako 7mm so thats out, and i do have a 270 so thats out. this is alot to think over. this will be a gun for mountain whitetail hunting, primary in a stand but sometimes walking or doing a drive.

Get a tikka 300 Win Mag Have a profesionall put A muzzle break on it . And You will never need another Gun, Some of You guys make so much stresss about nothing.Life is easy. Listen to us old guys ,Save You lotta time....... Very simple And get a good scope. 700 to 900 $ range .DONE...BOB!

Do any of the 300 Tikka's come pre-threaded for a muzzle brake?

Do any of the 300 Tikka's come pre-threaded for a muzzle brake?
I just got on their site, I couldn't find any of the hunting non tactical models that come pre-threaded for a muzzle brake no matter the caliber.

so fellas i have my next dilemma, i was thinking 308 or 6.5. i do have a 7mm-08 and love it. im wondering what caliber i should buy. i do have a sako 7mm so thats out, and i do have a 270 so thats out. this is alot to think over. this will be a gun for mountain whitetail hunting, primary in a stand but sometimes walking or doing a drive.
Well I was thinking you only had one rifle that "cheap" plastic stock Savage you mentioned. Looks like you have what you need covered with two .284 cal rifles and one .270. But there is no problem wanting another one to play around with and use. Both those calibers would work rather well for you, they are on either end of what you already have with the 6.5 being smaller and the .308 a larger diameter round. If you are in a tree stand I wouldn't go above the .308, even the .30-06 or the .300 WM or WSM. If by stand you mean a place for you to sit or stand and watch for deer than those larger .30 cals would be something different for you. A couple other calibers to think about would be a .25-06, .257 Wby Mag, or a .260 Rem (all are lightweight long range laser beams that don't a lot of publicity that they deserve). If you plan on hunting Ohio, Iowa, Michigan, Illinois and want something different the .450 Bushmaster is a popular caliber that you can use in those states and in WV or MD where you are working in Garrett County. It is just limited in range to about 200 yards, but is an accurate thumper. I shot one in a Christensen Arms and since most have muzzle brakes it doesn't recoil that hard, but is loud.
Sorry to throw more choices at your head, but you asked. Still the two calibers that you were looking at are different enough than what you got and would serve your purpose well. For me since I already have a .277 or 6.8 Caliber in my .270 Win and wanted something to take out west for Big Game like elk and mule deer (Yes I know I can take both with my .270 Win with proper bullet and shot selection) I was looking hard at the .308 as a great all around rifle cartridge that as a reloader would have been fun to play with since I can go from 110 grain to 180 grain bullets, plus any sporting goods store all over the country would have ammo for it usually in the 150 grain or 180s, might find 165/68s too. Good luck I am sure you will figure out what fits you and what you want best and love it.

T3s don't come threaded for muzzle brakes. People usually don't buy a lightweight, sweet shooting rifle like a Tikka T3 in a belted magnum. The T3 in .270 win has the reputation of being one of the most accurate rifles ever made. If you want a heavier bullet maybe a .308 will do. If you really want to get froggy, a .300 WSM will bruise you well.

T3s don't come threaded for muzzle brakes. People usually don't buy a lightweight, sweet shooting rifle like a Tikka T3 in a belted magnum. The T3 in .270 win has the reputation of being one of the most accurate rifles ever made. If you want a heavier bullet maybe a .308 will do. If you really want to get froggy, a .300 WSM will bruise you well.
The Tikka T3x in .300 WSM was my number one choice for a long time, ever since it came out at least 5 years ago or more. I just never "pulled the trigger" on getting one. I wanted to find someone or someplace where I can shoot it to see what the recoil impulse would be in a 6.5 lb rifle in a MAGNUM cartridge. But I never could. I am not recoil shy, but developing a load or trying out a bunch of factory loads would have me cruising for a bruising. Even when I recently came back to the idea of a .30 cal in either .308, .30-06 or .300 WSM the Tikka T3x was at the top of my want list of rifles under $800 (so sadly no Browning HCs, etc..). I don't know why the SS version is $120 more than the blued one, probably about the same for other brands not named Savage. But low and behold another Savage Model 110 to go with my old Model 110 in .270 Win came along in .300 WSM for $300 off and I couldn't resist. Plus at 8.4 lbs and with an adjustable muzzle brake it will really help tame that recoil. Maybe when I finally have enough money for my 3rd rifle I will be looking once more at the Tikka T3x.

You have a sweet rifle there in the savage. The .300 WSM recoil isn't too bad in the T3. That would be my limit in a light rifle. I am pushing hot loads @ 3200 fps with the .270 win about as much as a .270 WSM. I took it to the range day before to sight in the Nikon black x 1000. I have a new rest that doesn't pick up recoil. I got spanked a couple of times. That black x walked right out to 500 yards. The tracking was great. I made a good choice with that scope. I burned all the ammo that I brought. I just didn't want to stop. Cabelas has the black x on sale for $400 normally goes for 600 which is what I paid. I am not recoil shy but I don't like to be hammered. Try shooting an M14 on full auto. It will literally knock your teeth out. No recoil pad on a battle rifle. I used to shoot geese all day long with a benelli SBE but now choose grouse with the Fausti.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back