new rifle suggestions

I find the tikka stocks a little odd fitting, YMMV, but I would hold one before buying.
Second this. I have gone through several rifles in search of the "perfect" one. Have bought a few on-line and then found them to be ill-fitting enough to sell them at a loss. Recently made the mistake of picking up a Sako 85 Finnlight. Eureka! Ponied up.

Second this. I have gone through several rifles in search of the "perfect" one. Have bought a few on-line and then found them to be ill-fitting enough to sell them at a loss. Recently made the mistake of picking up a Sako 85 Finnlight. Eureka! Ponied up.

Sooo, instead of changing the stock on said rifles, you sell at a loss, and spend more money on a different one you haven't tried yet?
And people call me crazy!

Find a rifle that fits your style, an action that works smooth, not sloppy and in a caliber you like. Before you buy the rifle, go on line and look at all the reviews for the brand and style of rifle you want to choose. Do your research, this includes with your glass as well. The last thing you want is a rifle you are not happy with. It may cost you more than you would like to pay at that moment, but it is a long term investment and something that you should be proud of.

Well....haven't found an aftermarket stock that fits...and I've tried quite a few. And, yes, I just might be crazy.
Sooo, instead of changing the stock on said rifles, you sell at a loss, and spend more money on a different one you haven't tried yet?
And people call me crazy!

Find a rifle that fits your style, an action that works smooth, not sloppy and in a caliber you like. Before you buy the rifle, go on line and look at all the reviews for the brand and style of rifle you want to choose. Do your research, this includes with your glass as well. The last thing you want is a rifle you are not happy with. It may cost you more than you would like to pay at that moment, but it is a long term investment and something that you should be proud of.

I've learned not to give much credence to reviews on the internet. Most of the stuff I own and love would not have been given a chance, if I read reviews. Lol

A good case in point is the fact I love Remington M700 and Model Seven rifles and Leupold scopes. The internet is full of folks that will tell me that those combos will never work. Lol

I've learned not to give much credence to reviews on the internet. Most of the stuff I own and love would not have been given a chance, if I read reviews. Lol

A good case in point is the fact I love Remington M700 and Model Seven rifles and Leupold scopes. The internet is full of folks that will tell me that those combos will never work. Lol
I get that, I have had other experiences. I got a Rem770 and found out later that everyone that had bought one had the same complaint, the gun would not feed shells and had ejection problems. If I would have read that I might not have got the old paperweight.

I have a Remington Model 700 30-06 but thinking about getting a 7MM Ultra Mag in the same model. I had a 7mm before and used to hit targets 500 yards out. They shoot almost a straight line all the way out and the trajectory is much tighter than a 30-06.

I get that, I have had other experiences. I got a Rem770 and found out later that everyone that had bought one had the same complaint, the gun would not feed shells and had ejection problems. If I would have read that I might not have got the old paperweight.

What was your draw to the M770 over the M700?

Just found out I won one of these in .308 through a "gun calendar" raffle. It was fittingly the 4th of July drawing.

I have never seen one in person, so I am interested in what people think of them.
I really like mine

What was your draw to the M770 over the M700?
It was my first rifle and didn't know if I would like the sport. I went for price, cheap is not always better. The rifle does shoot streight, but it was a 1 and done weather you hit the target or not. If you cycled the action slow it would work. Needless to say the 770 had a poor magazine design that was causing the problem and a loose action on the bolt. These are the lessons we learn. All I can say is find what you like, research the pro's and con's, and get the rifle that makes you want to stick your chest out. I am a big fan of stainless but there are some that would say they are too shiny. It all comes down to what you like and what works best for you.20180609_211405.jpg
These are the rifles I decided to get after I got hooked on hunting.

Last edited:
It was my first rifle and didn't know if I would like the sport. I went for price, cheap is not always better. The rifle does shoot streight, but it was a 1 and done weather you hit the target or not. If you cycled the action slow it would work. Needless to say the 770 had a poor magazine design that was causing the problem and a loose action on the bolt. These are the lessons we learn. All I can say is find what you like, research the pro's and con's, and get the rifle that makes you want to stick your chest out. I am a big fan of stainless but there are some that would say they are too shiny. It all comes down to what you like and what works best for you.View attachment 109815
These are the rifles I decided to get after I got hooked on hunting.

I like stainless rifles, as well. My first was a Remington Model 700 BDL with a DM in 25-06 that I bought new in the mid 90s. The rest are Remington Model Seven SS in 7-08, 308, and 7 SAUM.

Take a long look at the Sako Finnlight.

Agree with Ben above. Go handle some rifles. Sometimes it will surprise you which one feels good in your hands.

Sorry for disrupting your original intent here.

If I were in your shoes would try and lay my hands on the following rifles.

- Tikka T3x Stainless
- Bergara B14 Hunter
- Rem 700 Mountain SS
- Kimber Hunter
- Howa/Newberg special (not sure when they will be available)
- Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness
- Browning X-bolt Stalker

All of them are going to be reasonably light, plenty accurate, and with some looking all fall into your price range. Once you handle them, one is probably going to stand out for you. They don't all have the same features, so pay attention to the details.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back