New recurve - loud rattle

Layin_It_Down

My new recurve has a loud rattle/buzz sound at time of the shot. My first thought was the limb tips coming apart, but that's not it. Some sound caused by vibration. I've tried twisting the string tighter and it's helped a little, but can I twist the string too tight? Should I untwist the string a little? I'm guessing the rattle is coming from where the string contacts the limbs and causing the buzzing sound after the shot. Any thoughts or suggestions out there.

The little mushroom shaped buttons which are intended to keep twigs and grass from catching behind your string might be all you need. As I remember, they quieted my string down considerably, so much so that I never felt I needed string silencers. A cheap item if they're still available, as we're going back some 35 years.

I think I know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully that's all I need, and hopefully something like that is still available.

Twist that string a bit more. Check your brace height. Generally speaking, a bit higher on the brace height will make the bow guieter. Lower on the brace height will make the bow slightly faster, but with lots more noise and limb slap. Does it have a Flemish string or one made of Fastflite. I bought a custom recurve years ago that came with a narow diameter fst flite string. It shot great, but sounded like the bow was breaking with every shot. Changed to a standard string and it took care of all the noise. You don't happen to have a loose quiver mount or anything so simple that you could be overlooking it by any chance do you? Put some beaver balls on the string or make your own out of a strip of coyote/fox hide. I been using a home made set from coyote belly fur for years with great sucess. twodot

No quiver or anything on the bow. I've put "bow jax" on the string for silencers. It must be the limb slap like you guys are talking about. The "bow hush" looks interesting. Not sure I understand the higher and lower on the brace height. I've tried twisting the string with some results, but not where I want it. How much can I twist the string before I have problems? I am shooting the string that came with the bow. Not fast flight and not flemish. Just a regular black string. Would a flemish string make a difference? Thanks for all your help guys.

LIDown, brace height is the distance from the back of your riser to your string. It will change with the length of your string. Shorter string, equals higher brace height, - and less string in contact with the limb tips. Lower brace height equals longer string and more limbslap.
Don't be afraid to twist the crap out of that string. I have in the past had strings that needed upwards of 20 twists to get tuned.
Your brace height is just a standard that you use to start with when tunning your bow. There is of course a recomended height by the maker, but that is where you start and go up or down a bit to suit your needs. Don't be afraid do adjust an inch or so either way of the recomended height. Leave your small loop on the bow and take the large loop all the way off the limb and begin twisting. In your case I would start with about 8 full twists, then shoot a couple of arrows. Then I would go in 2 or 3 twist incriments from there. This twisting will of course move your nocking point and you will have to adjust your string nock a bit once you get her quiet. Beaver balls, or any other strips of dense fur are the best silencers I have ever tried. I make my own, (presently coyote) but have used red fox in the past. I am gonna try to attach a photo on brace height. The photo is showing a 7 inch brace height. You should be able to get that bow really quiet without hoving to hang a bunch of rubber all over the string. (although that does often work).
twodot

Attachments

• bracew height.jpg
    bracew height.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
I guess I know what the brace height is, but it was the higher and lower than confused me a bit. I've always shot compound and this is my first year with traditional. It all makes sense now. Higher brace height and less string to limb contact. I'll try twisting the string some more and see what results I get. Also looked at the bowhush sight. Can I just get some wool yarn and wrap the ends of my string, where it contacts the limbs? It would probably serve the same purpose. Thanks everyone for all your insight.

flemish

I have found that the flemish strings are much quiter than endless strings.I also use sight window silincing tape some times under string where the string rides in the string groove,beaver balls on string also helps

Went to my neighbors house and picked up some hand spun wool yarn. I wrapped the serving at the ends of the string where they contact the limbs. Same idea as the bowhush from what I can tell. What a difference. I also twisted my string about 8 more twists. Bow is super quiet now. THANKS EVERYONE!!!! for your suggestions. Traditional for elk this season is gonna be a blast!! Hopefully we'll get some good video to share. At this point, I'm planning on putting together another DVD. We'll see how the hunting goes first.

My other concern is where the string loops around the tips of the bow. The serving is coming loose a bit and the string is contacting the actual wood of the bow. Not sure if this is a concern or not. I don't want a string to break on me. I'm planning on buying a back up string to have on hand just in case, but I still don't want it to happen. Is this gonna be a problem or is this nothing to worry about (normal wear)???

Recurve Noise....

I've found that the recurves are more noisy than the longbows - even tho' I use the same type of strings and silencers (make your own by taking a credit card and wrapping yarn around the long way, then slide between the string wrappings 8-10" from no:hump:cks and once in place cut the loop ends. Shoot a couple of arrows and you are done.) Also, go to Walgreens and get some mole skin and put that under the contact areas of the string on each end of the bow. Hunt safe.

RE:My other concern is where the string loops around the tips of the bow. The serving is coming loose a bit and the string is contacting the actual wood of the bow.

You should look at getting a flemmish twist string (endless loop string/flemmish splice), as there is no serving at the loops. They are very strong, and will actually help quiet doen a bow as well.

Good shooting.

Back